Photo

Diy Sump Hole

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:02 PM

Thinking of adding a sump to my tank to add some more water volume so that there less fluctuations. Have a few questions. Is there anyone out there that has experience in this and would like to help when the time comes? Is it better to drill the hole in the back or in the bottom? Is it easy to build a sump from a tank? Is it a expensive operation? The reason I want to start a sump is because I saw a before and after picture of a tank and it was incredible :o

#2 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:16 PM

Give Vebas or Aquotix a buzz, they might be able to drill tanks. Or put you in contact with someone who does ;)
Pacco at Vebas has given me quotes on sumps before, they are very reasonable ;)

Edited by Az Aquatic, 25 January 2014 - 10:54 PM.

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 08:19 PM

Pacco at Aquotix has given me quotes on sumps before, they are very reasonable ;)

Oops
  • Fox likes this

#4 slink

slink
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 09:15 PM

:lol: good pick MM had to read that twice

#5 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 10:54 PM

Hahaha my two main shops ;)

#6 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 January 2014 - 11:04 PM

Was thinking of just buying a tank from city farmers cheap because I work there and building one. I think it may turn out being expensive with all the media and stuff. With the drilling side I was more considering doing it myself than taking it somewhere. I'm up in Hillary's so it's a decent drive for my mum to take me all the way down there hahaha.

#7 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2014 - 12:11 AM

Have a look in Technical and Equipment pg 1, 5 down. I have found some one to drill holes.

#8 burnsy

burnsy
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 January 2014 - 11:19 AM

I drilled my tank myself and it turned out good. I got a dimond tipped hole saw off ebay for around $10. I watched alot of videos on youtube first then bit the bullet and gave it a go. The most important thing is to make sure your glass isnt tempered. If it is it cant be drilled and will shatter if you try. There are good videos on youtube about how to cheak if its tempered. I used my iphone and a pair of polarised glasses.

I would recomend drilling the back as theres not quite so much stress as the bottem but it really depends on how you want to run your drains. You need to consider if you want to use a weir/overflow or not and if you do will it be a corner style or rear overflow box style. Corner overflows usually run a stand pipe sutup with the bottem drilled. Im using a overflow box on the rear panel so have drilled the back.

Another thing to consider is noise. Sumps can be quite loud of not done properly. so if its in a bedroom or lounge it will get very annoying. The best way around the noise issue is to use a 'beanAnimal' style overflow setup. Im using this type of drain system on my 6 footer and its super silent.

As for the sump itself, I wouldnt buy a new tank for this as it wil probably be hidden anyway. I picked up a seconed hand 3 footer for $50 and its mint.

If you want to do a sump properly it will be quite expencive. By the time you add up the pump, plumbing, glass for baffles, media and sump Itself im probably up around the $600 mark

cheak out my post in the journal section if you wanna see some pics

Cheers

Rich

#9 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 30 January 2014 - 10:48 PM

http://www.perthcich...p?showuser=4393

this user drills holes and im pretty sure he comes to you and he is fully insured so if tank breaks can be replaced i think... ask him about it :)

#10 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 March 2014 - 08:00 PM

Ended up going to aquotix. Was reasonably priced... Charging me $100 for two holes and a Overflow box thing which stops "gurgling". Really excited to get it all going :) was happy that I went down there as there isn't too many shops like that north of the river :(

#11 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 September 2014 - 06:01 PM

North of the river, Seaview can look after custom tanks! I was in there recently and the workshop is looking sweeeeeet!!

I have had a lot of experience drilling holes in tanks in sides, bases, overflows and the like, if anyone needs help or advice with overflows or drilling tanks please feel free to contact me, I've been out of the "fish loop" for a while but still dabbling in the aquatic realm :)

Riggers

#12 Michaeal-959

Michaeal-959
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:32 PM

Thanks riggers
Thinking of one day setting up a large rack with a sump so I'll keep that in mind :)

#13 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 September 2014 - 08:56 PM

Do it mate! Sumps are sweeeeeeeeeet!! :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users