Photo

That's it, marine pond coming up!!!

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Barramundi

Barramundi
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2005 - 05:59 PM

I kept some of my display Tang's in a heated outdoor pond over winter as I ran out of tank space. One was my pride a joy, a beautiful little Tretocephalus I saved from being fed to a Saratoga. He had a stump forhis right pec fin where it'd been torn off in a fight leaving only a bit of cartilage. Anyway he was more of a pet, named him Nemo cos he had the same "lucky fin" as Nemo in the moving... yeah i know I know... wimp. Anyway, he grew like a horse in the pond, nearly 6", (was 3" 6months ago) & coloured up beautifully. Beautiful rich blue with deep black stripes & long trailing tips on his under fins. Was saving for a display tank to bring him back in.

Antyway doing maintenance on the pond & found him dead with deep gashes side by side from below his eye down his gut almosty all the way to his anus. i'm thinking cat. NHe ruled the pond with an iron stump & noone else was even close to big enough to give him a challenge.

So, plan ; build a 5000L saltwater pond & put two reef sharks in there. Catch that you bl#*dy cat! Only negative will be getting the fur outta the pumps! That & the odd kid losing fingers, but hey, don't put your hand in to pat the pretty grey fishies, like Uncle Barra said not to. & u wouldna lost your hand... warned ya!!! I wish!! Grrr... the only good cat comes with a sweet & sour sauce I reckon!!! (JK)

#2 keleherr

keleherr
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2005 - 07:02 PM

spwein man iv had trets b4 awsm fish. i had a cat that use 2 come arond and nok fish out of my pond.so i sat it the corner rel quietly a few times with a BB gun :twisted: stoped comin bak :roll:
james

#3 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2005 - 09:09 PM

Condolences mate,

I got heaps of neighbours cats prowling my back yard all the time, (at least 6 different big tommies) and I have a 4.5m Long x 2m Wide pond full of fishies at least 20+ Cichlids, cats drink from the pond but I've never seen one stalking or hunting my fish.

Considering the said departed fish only had one pectoral it was probably swimming in circles like a drunk pengiun on a merry-go-round making it an easy target even for the most physically challenged cat.

If I were you, next time, do the deed and saratoga feed.

Its a cruel World.

#4 Matthew

Matthew
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2005 - 12:15 PM

Marine pond ey bazz

Sounds like a plan :twisted:

btw golden ponds on mundi road has 40-50cm barras live for $12 each.
8)
Matty
edit: Dogs work well to mate :shock:

#5 Barramundi

Barramundi
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:28 PM

Dan: Actually he swam fine, never woulda known. He was the dominant fish in every tank I had him in. I do cull any deformities that show up in fry I breed, but Nemo was a moment of weakness at the shop. Oh well, done now. :roll:

Hey Matt, 12 bucks for 40-50cm hey. I must admit I enjoy the fun of growing out fingerlings. But an instant predator, hmmmm.... tempting... :twisted:

Get them to a metre alot quicker... good bye pussy cats... :twisted:

#6 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2005 - 03:33 PM

Hi Justin,
Just wondering how "outside" the outside pond is and how you went about heating it?

Andrea smile.gif

#7 Grimace

Grimace
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2005 - 09:25 PM

Whoa sounds like fun!

Take lots of pics!!

#8 Barramundi

Barramundi
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2005 - 10:11 PM

(merjo)
Hi Justin,
Just wondering how "outside" the outside pond is and how you went about heating it?

Andrea smile.gif

Hey Andrea. It's fully outside, but shaded by the patio. Outdoor entertaining area & backs onto the lawn. I use a couple of 300watt heaters & a thermal blanket (industrial bubblewrap) on the really cold nights. It's not efficient, power bill goes up by $300 over winter, so am exploring other options. But the coldest the pond gets was just over 18 degrees this winter just gone. Normally sits around 21 degrees. Warm enough to keep them happy. Am exploring solar heating to see if I can arrange something much more energy efficient.

#9 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 October 2005 - 09:39 AM

Cheers Justin...I waste my pond over winter (4500L). What is the litrage of yours? I'd also get hung at another $300 on the power bill....

Andrea smile.gif

#10 swarvegorilla

swarvegorilla
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2005 - 10:38 AM

Had hoplo's through my pond this winter with no deaths although they didn't look too happy about it.
The marine pond is something I have been playing with and I have claimed a few cat kills so far, despite the fact i lined all walls with upside down gangnails and used netting and a friggin motion sensor water spraying scarefisherman........
Secret my friend is to have a few toadys in there at first. Oh how cats love to catch toadfish.
Just need to borrow this propertys fire truck to grab some more saltwater and I am thinking octopus pond.
Let the cats and birds come, I am sick of paying to feed these ridiculously high metabolisms.
:twisted:

One thing that has me thinking though is..... if i have a big enuf pond can I name it a lake? How many generations before i could sell 'swarvelake' morph lecky yellows?

god i missed broadband

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users