Photo

Koi

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 silly

silly
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:10 PM

I have a koi pond in my backyard with koi ranging from 10-35cm. Basically i just want to know what filtration method people use to keep the water as clear as possible. Currently its fairly green but i expect it to be alot greener with the hotter weather.

Also what things are important to look for in good quality koi?? colour? finnage? shape?? anything else?

#2 diamondgirl

diamondgirl
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:31 PM

Hi silly, i hve had koi for about 6 years now. I use a bio box filter which keeps the water chrystal clear. What I do recommend is that the pump is placed on the ground of the pond so that it can suck up as much sludge as possible, we had it up on a couple of bricks to start with, not good.

You dont say how long your pond has been set up for but the pond will initially be green, dont change the water as it needs to go thru a cycle just like an aquarium does.

My pond is under a pergola so its covered by shade cloth all day, haven't had a problem with green water for quite a while.

Cheers - Denise biggrin.gif

#3 Andrew

Andrew
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 September 2006 - 04:39 PM

build youre own filter containing wool, balls and gutter guard. mine works a treat and costs alot less than the commercial alternatives. if you like i could sell you a pre made filter for alot less than the commercial ones biggrin.gif

#4 Gavin

Gavin
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:01 PM

I have great success with "veggie filters". One simple way to do it is to put a plastic tub or planter in the pond(at or above water level) put in pot plants(water iris and elephant ears are good) or better yet plant into hydroponic medium. Direct your filter return into to planter and let it overflow back to the pond. The plants will strip nutrients from the water very quickly and you get lush plant growth as a bonus. I have set this up on my ponds and have witnessed "green water" turn clear in less than 2 days.
Bio filters only convert ammonia to nitrate - plants remove the nutrients and turn it into foliage.
BTW I still recommend using a suitable bio filter as well.

#5 silly

silly
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2006 - 05:31 PM

thanks for the fast replys

The pond has had water/some fish in it since start of august.
At the moment im using a home made bio filter in a large bucket temporarily. And have just setup a second pond filled with water plants (pennywort) to filter the water. I was told from a koi farm that the bio boxes aren't really that effecient and the second pond was definately the way to go as it looks better and works alot better too. Just wanted to see what other opinions there are.

how about koi quality?? any experts out there

cheers

#6 ozjayok

ozjayok
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2006 - 07:04 PM

hi silly,

Is your pond directly under the sun? I have my pond under the pergola and have very clear water and very very low algae.

I'll get back to you with the filter details.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users