Photo

Dead Flies In Tanks

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 December 2015 - 11:52 PM

been getting a few dead flies in tanks lately.... 

my question is whats the likelihood of flies transferring some sort of parasite to your fish ?   

would like your opinion syd on this one :)

and anyone else with good knowledge in this area...

#2 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 12:36 AM

There is no chance whatsoever of flies of the kind commonly associated with households, whether dead or alive, transmitting parasites to fishes.

Syd.

#3 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 01:04 AM

Only thing they would do would be is rot in the water, but otherwise nice protein for the guppies :P

#4 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 December 2015 - 07:29 AM

In roughly 95% of cases, terrestrial diseases (that we are likely to encounter) are not compatible for survival in a aquatic situation and vise versa.
Unless its a terrestrial organism that has a aquatic stage like a larvae or aquatic habitat,,, that would simply act as a fast transfer. (even then chances are low).

The main possibilty of disease that can spread from water to a terrestrial situation which isn't a issue for fish,,,, is things like gram negative bacterias and TB.
Which can spread into open wounds, lips/mouth, eyes or nose of humans.

Flies would be a good food source for those that would eat them.

Edited by Buccal, 30 December 2015 - 07:32 AM.

#5 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2015 - 12:19 AM

There is no chance whatsoever of flies of the kind commonly associated with households, whether dead or alive, transmitting parasites to fishes.

Syd.

that was the answer i was anticipating but its good to hear it syd :) 

#6 rx007

rx007
  • Forum Member

Posted 31 December 2015 - 11:28 PM

But what if the flies died from insect spray, I imagine it would not be good for fish? Any possibility of secondary poisoning?

Edited by rx007, 31 December 2015 - 11:28 PM.

#7 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2016 - 01:46 AM

no fly spray allowed in my house :) but i imagine that wouldnt be a good thing if it was a residual spray

#8 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:45 AM

But what if the flies died from insect spray, I imagine it would not be good for fish? Any possibility of secondary poisoning?

It's a interesting question, but no it doesn't effect fish.
If your tank has no lids and someone sprays freshly over, this effects the fish but you need a bit of it.
Many moons back when I lived at mums and dads still, my dad built a smallish goldfish pond.
I use to go with a mate a few times a year south eastwards into the hills areas fresh water fishing, mainly for Redfin.
First we'd collect the earth worms for bait, and we'd select a small hook and re-bend it into a bit smaller size with a certain setting and pushing the barb inwards to minimize fish damage.
We'd stand at stream edges, these were either fast moving or very slow moving stream,,, as long as they were moving with fresh oxygen rich water.
We'd draw or hock up big flemmy's lol, yep grogans hah ha, and spit into the water.....
We'd go from stream to stream doing this,,, eventually we'd find a stream where after spitting, the water surface would swell or little rise splashes.
These were little mountain minnows thinking our spit was little insects dropping into water.
We'd then have a ten foot rod each with 1.5m of cotton tied to end eye of rod down to the hook tied of with worm bits on.
These were caught as live bait, and we'd do this all day as sometimes they were hard to find but always found.
As three hours before sunset approached, we'd set up for Redfin fishing.
Simply hook through lower tough lip and let them swim as live bait.
Whammmm, some of the biggest redfins, really nice eating to.
Really for filling fun days they were.

Getting back onto the topic, I put six mountain minnows which are usually large 10-15cm, into dads goldfish pond.
Months later, all my mates and I (crew of 12), went fishing for tailor and absolutely killed the pig.
I use to crumb up fish with my secret recepe lol so to speak, and deep fry them,,, and we'd all sit back and get totally wrecked, my poison was always black beam cans.
We'd eat fish and get poo faced.

Getting there,,,,, honest,,,,, that afternoon, as I was prepping the kitchen window was full of flies, so I sprayed them all and they lay dead at bottom of widow.
Without me knowing till I saw it happening, mates grabbed a palm full of flys and throwing them in to the mountain minnows and greedily got eaten,,,,, those fish were fine. STILL WOULD NEVER RECCOMEND THOUGH, maybe once you get away with.

Also I asked two vets,,,,,, "what happens if I poison mice with bait then my dog eats the mice ?????"
They both said dog would get a stomach ache at most, but they'd be fine.
I'm guessing the fish fly poison ratio would be less than the dog mice ratio of poisoning.

Big long story,,, but I made it all relative. Hah ha. :)

#9 Knightrover6t

Knightrover6t
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 February 2017 - 02:14 PM

Yes my rainbows love them

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users