Photo

Motoro X Leopoldi

• Please log in to reply
44 replies to this topic

#1 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:35 PM

Pick up this Motoro x Leopoldi pup tomorrow. Excited/nervous as it's the first fish I will have shipped from over east.

He's getting shipped tomorrow morning. So no overnight business.

Broke the bank this week on fish.... Haha

#2 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:53 PM

Is this your first ray?

I'll say it again... I wish I had a bigger tank lol

#3 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 01:55 PM

Yeah first one. Got a nice male.

I can see myself buying a female very shortly after this one arrives!!

I am in the planning stages of an 8x4x2.5 at the moment also smile.gif

Most expensive hobby I have had. But definitively the most rewarding smile.gif

#4 *Michael*

*Michael*
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:00 PM

Very nice how big will it get ?

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:10 PM

Nice one. Not big into hybrids myself, but no doubting that the leo/motoro hybrids around Aus do look great when they mature.

In Asia there is a lot of trouble finding pure species, due to people crossing rays too often. Get to the point where you don't even know what your looking at, makes it even worse as colours/pattern within ray species are very diverse to begin with.

What tank are you keeping it in?

#6 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:26 PM

It will definitely end up in the big tank and then all the bigger fish will be moved to the one I am going to build. So he will end up in there. No doubt with a female.

I'm in two minds at the moment. I will be constructing some sort of rig tonight to sit in either tank so I can feed him up so he can compete for food when in with the other fish. Water paraments are the same in both tanks except the tank in my room is set a little higher temp because of the small fish I'm growing out. So I might put him in there "plus I get to watch him with out going out to the shed"

As far as the hybrid factor is concerned. I didn't go out of my way to get one. I would have been happy with a pure Motoro. But this pup was offered to me and I've had a couple of good lads helping me and sharing their knowledge. So a big thank you to them.

QUOTE (*Michael* @ May 30 2012, 02:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Very nice how big will it get ?

I am new to Rays but I think theses get to about 30" across the disc. "correct me if I'm wrong there"

#7 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:29 PM

On size, yeah somewhere around the 24" (60cm) + range.

Once settled in they have no problem competing for food. What size tank you got him going into to start with? tankmates?

Best of luck for tomorrow man, I always get pretty edgy when getting fish sent over, can sometimes work myself up into a bit of a frenzy. The moment you open the box and see your new pets alive and well makes it all worth it though.

#8 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:37 PM

Haha yeah! I'm a bit on edge now.

Well I have the 6x2 in my room. Which have a pair of Red Snooks in it. It is also divided and have P Bass and some Trimac growing out on one side.

I was advised to use some sort of basket at the top for a while until he settles in/bulks up "as I hear they can be quite timid when small" So I think I will have him in my room. Watch his progress and when he is big enough should be fine with the Snooks. They are quiet placid with other fish "much more so than the Green pair I have" But after the male swallowing a 13cm fish the other day I think I'll keep him separated for the time being.

#9 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 02:40 PM

I bought some river prawns from aqua green in Darwin, took 3 days and 2 nights to arrive - longest 3 days of my life lol

They all arrived alive, but two died (of 17) within 72 hours after arriving.

Hope that doesn't make you more anxious lol

Can't wait to see a video of you feeding the little pup <3

#10 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:08 PM

3foot isnt much for a ray.....they need alot more room than that, i would be getting that new tank building asap

Edited by Hypanheaven, 30 May 2012 - 03:09 PM.

#11 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:28 PM

3ft? I have a 6x2 in my room which he will no doubt be going in to start and the tank in my shed is 200x75x75cm where he will be going next. That tank has been running for a month and a half now.

If your talking tank width... I'd be very surprised if it reaches 75cm head to tail before I get this 4ft WIDE tank built. I think 8ft long by 4ft wide should be sufficient from what I have read. Total of 2200L. But I know depth isn't really to much of an issue.

I should have this bigger tank up and running by end of year. The Rays disc span at the moment is 12-14cm. It would have to triple in size in 6 months for any sort of tank issues. From what I have read, this definitely wont happen.

Edited by SamJohns, 30 May 2012 - 03:29 PM.

#12 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:39 PM

oh i thought you said your tank is split in half because of the snooks?

#13 Anka

Anka
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:44 PM

So much envy - 8x4! WOWEE!

#14 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 03:47 PM

QUOTE (Hypanheaven @ May 30 2012, 03:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
oh i thought you said your tank is split in half because of the snooks?

Oh sorry. Yeah I have two tanks. I like to keep less fish/size to tank size. I would never try and squeeze a fish in that couldn't turn round or swim freely.

He will be going straight in the big tank when he's big enough!

Edited by SamJohns, 30 May 2012 - 03:50 PM.

#15 spilo

spilo
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:06 PM

don't know if it's the photo but looks likes the ray pictured has signs of death curl.Have you see video footage of the ray being sent?? I'm no expert...... just be cautious .

#16 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:20 PM

No video. But both parties involved are very knowledgeable and recognized. So I think chances of this are very low as they wouldn't sell a fish that had the slightest chance of having it.

Thanks for the input thought. I was unaware of this and have now done some more reading.

#17 Hypanheaven

Hypanheaven
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:32 PM

wow, i would ask them sam, looking at pics and reading up, spilo might not be far off the money!
fingers crossed it doesnt!!!!!

#18 spilo

spilo
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:33 PM

it's just there's some dodge people around angry.gif .... i was breeding motoros a couple of years ago and lost some pups to death curl. good luck

Edited by spilo, 30 May 2012 - 04:34 PM.

#19 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:49 PM

Thanks for the concern.

I am unsure how you are telling the difference between "death curl" compared to an action shot of the ray swimming?

Anyway im not to worried. As i am buying this ray directly off the breeder and with help of a very knowledge person over here that has been nothing but helpful in putting this in place at no cost on his behalf.

Let you know how it is tomorrow when I pick it up.

#20 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 May 2012 - 04:56 PM

hard to tell from a pic (i did notice it), looks like an action shot to me.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users