Help!! Major Project!

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2011 - 11:56 AM

guys

i work for company that builds gas turbine power stations, we finished construction of one in kwinana, on mason rd.......

now we obvious a RO water treament plant, also we have a 5 000 000(5 millon) litre EVAP pond, (where unused water goes , as we need to keep cycling the water, and the water treatment plant), we have had a major issue with the DBN station 10 (dampier to burnbury natural gas pipeline) is complaining we are breeding a mosquito infestation.

now i think we are, or some extent do have an issue, add we had the HSE manager from DNP come down have a look at site.

her two resolutions:

poor a liquid oil onto of the pond ( the pond is 6-700sqm) with a min depth of 300mm and a max depth of around two meters or PUT FISH IN THERE!!!!!!!
now due to my boss knowing i like fish, has asked me to research a species thats reasonable in price, and a filtration purpose which is the issue!!!!!

how the hell do you filter a 5 000 000 litre pond HELP!! im so keen to do this!!

brett

#2 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:07 PM

A 20' shipping container, filled with media, pump in from one end drain out from the other. its just a big canister filter.

#3 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:17 PM

Does water leave the evap pound and get pumped back out to the sound like BP do?
Because wouldnt the oil stop evaporation?

If water is going out to the sound, you wont need filtration.
If it isnt getting pumped out and all water evaporates only, how are you going to remove nitrates? They dont evaporate.

Andrew

#4 Melon

Melon
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:27 PM

Western Pygmy Perch could be a good place to start.

#5 Simon A

Simon A
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 January 2011 - 12:40 PM

Add native water plants, as long as you have fresh water entering the pond and enough plants to remove nutrients you should not have a problem.

Edited by Simon A, 20 January 2011 - 12:41 PM.

#6 scarab

scarab
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 20 January 2011 - 04:49 PM

er....since from what i know mosquito only breed in stagnant water...so why not make things easy and just install two or more fountains and disturb the surface??

#7 mtchye

mtchye
  • Validating

Posted 20 January 2011 - 07:10 PM

Check out what CSBP (also in Kwinana) have done with their wetland plants and that would be a start. You will struggle to filter the particulates and you'll find its more economic to let it settle and let the plants bioremediate.

You will have to be careful what fish you introduce, both from a regulatory point of view and also the temperature, salinity etc of RO waste water.

If the evap ponds completely evap at times over summer, then of course the investment in fish would be ongoing.

#8 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2011 - 04:42 AM

in regards to the mossies..... we know this, but when a HSE manager from our neighbouring site comes and complains..something has to be done, if not the government are going to roll down.....

we think there midgies, because they acutelly dont bite you. but no we dont pump to the sound, we can pump to KWRP, but they charge us per m3, which is a bit wierd.....i must say

but i dunno its looking like a bit of a full on project,.,,,,,

#9 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2011 - 08:53 AM

Cant you just add some chlorine to the water?

#10 Shane_H

Shane_H
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2011 - 09:20 AM

So we're looking at a pond roughly 25m x 25m?

A couple of suggestions: As mozzies and midgies only breed in stagnant water, install maybe 4 paddle wheels to create some flow and disturbance on the surface.

I don't think fish is your solution as they wont remove the problem. They'll likely reduce the problem, but the larvae will still find pockets of water to breed where the fish can't get to them. If you think the pond is suitable for fish, then a few hundred goldfish could be worht a try. Cheap, available, should go ok in a pond that size without filtration.

If the turnover of water in the pond is low (eg evap only, no pumping), then a chemical solution (eg chlorine like a swimming pool) might be a quick fix.

#11 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2011 - 12:39 PM

we need a quick fix...research started today we had departments from the government out to help us, and no there not mossies, they are a sepcies of midgies.....

problem is alot of them chemical you can use to kill mossies, are actuelly banned against using for bidgies....

fish insnt the solution anymore... devo!

brett

#12 Neddy

Neddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 January 2011 - 03:52 PM

+ 1 for a couple of large fountains or paddle wheels

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users