Automatic Feeders Vs Feeder Blocks

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 August 2016 - 02:01 PM

I'm wanting peoples opinions on whether to get some automatic feeders or to get some "vacation food blocks" (not sure what they're called) for a few fish tanks while I'm away for 9 days.

I was going to get some auto fish feeders, but they will only get used that one time then sit in the shed with all my other spare fish junk. I think that vacation feeder blocks (or whatever they're called) would be better as it's cheaper and easier for me. Any pros or cons that people can tell me? Do I get auto feeders or the feeder blocks?

#2 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2016 - 03:35 PM

I'd use auto-feeders, you have more control over the feeding. Blocks pollute the water to much imo.

#3 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:30 PM

I'll give the opposite opinion :)   I had a disaster a couple of years ago.  We went away for two weeks, and I left someone to feed the fish in the fish rooms, but set up an auto-feeder for the tank in the house.  It malfunctioned, and dumped a fortnights worth of food into the tank on day one.  We came home to a tank of dead fish.

Now of we go away for anything up to a fortnight, I just don't feed the tanks of adults.  Healthy fish will easily go for that period of time without food.  Think about it - female mouth-brooding cichlids don't eat for 3 - 4 weeks while they are holding.  The only fish I feed while we are away are small fry - and for them I use feeder blocks.  Lately I'm using the Sera brand ones, although I have used other brands.  I've never had issues with water quality.  I just feel more comfortable with the babies having at least access to some food. 

When we are away for longer, I get someone to come over once every few days to check on things and give the fish a feed.

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 August 2016 - 04:42 PM

Ok thanks for your advice. I might check out the Sera feeder blocks just to annoy steve :P

#5 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 12 August 2016 - 08:22 PM

If you have high flow I find the blocks seem to disappear more quickly. As well the blocks tend to have the fish lined up in my tank to gobble them up as fast as possible. A weekly block lasts a weekend, etc.

I use pellets in an auto-feeder now and set it up the night before hand. Still plays up a bit ime. The drop rate changes as the container empties. So I set it on starvation rations (probably what I should be feeding anyways!).

If you do get either, test before you leave (and padlock the beer fridge....).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users