Air Pump Recommendations

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Sarahhhhh

Sarahhhhh
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:35 AM

Hey all,

I have my tank all set up (yay!) but now I need to buy an airpump. I have done a search and read through old posts, and a lot of people recommend buying one with a battery back up in case of a power outage (which is very likely in Perth during summer). From what I've found online, the airpumps with battery back up are ~$100 whereas without are only about $30.

I know it's worth it in the long run because I want to be able to be able to help my fish as much as possible, but are there any other options/what does everyone else use?

Thanks guys biggrin.gif

#2 werdna

werdna
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2011 - 07:40 AM

It depends on your stocking level.
The more fish, the more need for air.
I dont use any backup systems on any of my tanks and have never had issues.

Andrew

#3 Vebas

Vebas
  • Sponsor

Posted 20 December 2011 - 08:58 AM

We have a cheap battery backup option. It's a battery backup pump that has a mains cord. It doesn't recharge batteries, but while there is mains power to the unit the air pump doesn't run. As soon as mains power is cut, it activates the battery backup and runs off two D cells. Not as good as a rechargable unit and you'd need to run a regular air pump if you want air on 24/7, but at $19.50 it's a very affordable backup option. We sell a lot of them for marine tanks, as you mostly don't want air bubbles in a reef tank - but do want aeration in the event of power failure.

Cheers
Pacco

#4 lawdog

lawdog
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 December 2011 - 01:08 PM

Buy a Schego pump at about $80.00 and a cheap backup. Just be mindful that the output air from an air pump does not readily disolve into the tank and aids in surface agitation which is where gaseous exchange occrs and that this is the more important aspect of an airpump (Unless it also runs you filtration). That said if you can run the air inline on a cannister and have it atomise the air fine enough then you should have greater saturation of air in the water column before the air does what air does and rises to the surface.

The Schego is top notch and every part is replaceable and not for an arm and a leg. I run a 350l /hr single outlet Schego inline on my 7 footer and no problems.

Cheers smile.gif

#5 tywonreef

tywonreef
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 December 2011 - 02:32 PM

Hi, we do have some of the lifetech ac=dc pumps. These are run on mains power, but automatically cut in when the power supply is interrupted. These are a twin outlet pump with a battery pack that is recharged when hooked up to the mains. They are normally in the $100+ range, but I have 2 left for $70.00 each.
Paul - morley aquariums

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users