G'day From Winthrop

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 drijanthony

drijanthony
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 05:58 AM

Hi there,

Got a tank a year ago for a combo birthday/Christmas pressie and have loved it ever since... definitely hooked!

About 4 months ago I introduced plants for a planted landscape with varying degrees of success. Just upgraded to 240 ltr tank this Christmas (got to love Santa biggrin.gif ) with external filter/uv

Been learning the ropes with smaller tropical freshwaters, plenty of colour and movement.

Breed some balloon mollies through the year - you learn thru dealng with fry! - but sold off the boys now, so just a fem tank for mollies.

New tank done 'south american biotope' style... not perfect but first attempt at going more natural.

Currently in tank.....

7 cardinals
1 swordtail
5 guppies (all boys)
2 endlers livebearers
5 balloon mollies (all fem)
4 corydoras sterbai - love these little guys
1 yo-yo loach - originally got him for snail control, but he's the tank entertainer and always fun to follow
9 assorted other tetra - 1 rosy, 1 lemon, 2 king blue, 4 ember and 1 diamond...... didn't mean to have small numbers, but these guys are the survivors

Will add a photo or two if I can figure out how to get my digital camera to take good photo's aoiding reflections from the tank glass. Cheers!

Attached File  IMG_0142.JPG   1.79MB   59 downloads

Edited by drijanthony, 17 January 2012 - 06:21 AM.

#2 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 January 2012 - 01:01 PM

Tanks looking good mate smile.gif

Welcome to the forum smile.gif

#3 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 01:58 PM

Welcome to the forum mate.

Only a matter of time before your looking at a cichlid tank in your home now. wink.gif

Alex

#4 Witters

Witters
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 02:16 PM

Welcome also.

Plants look good, are you doing anything special? ferts, extra light, CO2?

#5 drijanthony

drijanthony
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 January 2012 - 09:16 PM

Thanks everyone for the positive comments - its appreciated by a new guy on the blocks!

Witters, nothing special on plant care - the new tank is only a few weeks old. So far, just Leaf Zone weekly, though I have to say that the plants seem to be responding nicely to the lighting in the new tank... a pair of 8000K 36" and a 30" triphosphor 15000K. So I imagine its the 8000K's doing the heavy lifting with the plants but it may be the broad wavelengths out of the triphosphor tube. Still too new at this to know for sure, but some "light" bed reading coming up. Still trying to figure out the whole CO2 piece, cost & equipment etc. - but no CO2 yet.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users