• Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:04 PM

wheres that?

#23 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:41 PM

'im not talking small sara's who wants a small one '

i actually prefer the smaller ones from 4cm-10cm for many reasons...the top two being that they are one of the best fish to grow out and they look awsome at that size....

'there was a nice large 23cm sara at totally tanked not long ago for $60
not sure if it's still there.
'

serious?? last few times i have been there all i have seen are the two 25cm-ish jardinis ( in tiny tanks ) that have been there for ages and i think the price was just over $300... seems a big difference... :?
if it really is $60 then id grab that bargain!!!!!! 8O 8O laugh.gif

#24 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 08:42 PM

totally tanked = Gosnells/maddington area just off albany hwy at the end of the kenwick link...

#25 bradfitzy

bradfitzy
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:30 PM

This may be a silly question and a tad off topic but do you need a permit or lisence of some description to catch them from the wild?

Brad biggrin.gif

#26 Leevers

Leevers
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 09:50 PM

(DR14GoNF14SH)
'im not talking small sara's who wants a small one '

i actually prefer the smaller ones from 4cm-10cm for many reasons...the top two being that they are one of the best fish to grow out and they look awsome at that size....

'there was a nice large 23cm sara at totally tanked not long ago for $60
not sure if it's still there.
'

serious?? last few times i have been there all i have seen are the two 25cm-ish jardinis ( in tiny tanks ) that have been there for ages and i think the price was just over $300... seems a big difference... :?
if it really is $60 then id grab that bargain!!!!!! 8O 8O laugh.gif

just off the top of my head, but it was definetly a saratoga, and it sure as hell wasn't $300 if anything i could put my money on it not even being over $150, but this was a few weeks ago. im sure it's gone by now, but who knows?

#27 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 02 October 2007 - 11:36 PM

Here is a sample of what happens at your LFS

Buy 10 togas about 10cm for $30ea

put in one tank, 2 jump out....

2 go skinny because they just got spat out of dads mouth and they don't know how to eat.

one tears the fins off 2 more, left with 6 saleable togas..... now in 6 separate tanks.

Sell 2 to one guy after he umms and errs about the price and gets his 10% society discount and another 5% discount for cash and a free sample of frozen food to stop him from feeding live fish to it from the start. (shop owner trying to do the right thing)

Sick of the pestering for discounts, shop owner puts price up so he has room to bring price down and cover the loss of the first 4.

Remaining 4 hang around shop in 4 tanks because price higher than in other shops.

One more jumps out because no one told shop owner about the broken coverglass.

8 weeks later, last 3 sell for discounted price but now 15+cm long and eaten how much food?

Cost of togas, $300 plus rental, running cost of tanks, food and one coverglass.

Total income from sales approx $500 (minus GST and costs)

total profit = $120 for an out lay of $300 and someone has to pay the staff.

Shop owner makes more profit selling 300 neon tetras at less than $1 each from one tank, in the first week that the togas arrive.....

and people think fish are expensive...... :?

I don't see LFS owners riding around in 1 year old European cars and playing golf every afternoon, do you? :roll:

I have worked in the Aquarium Industry for over 20 years and I am still paying off my mortgage :x

doc

#28 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:00 AM

hows about this:

the shop owner buys 10 togas 7cm (jardinis?) @ $30 ea.... the price tag reads $60 ( instead of $120-$200 ) all togas sell within the week... :wink:

but i know the above scenario would only occur in a perfect world and i understand where you are coming from in terms of the fish shops p.o.v

but what i still dont understand is how do the yanks get jardinis cheaper than we do :?: ive seen it on monsterfishkeepers.com and i was gobsmacked! laugh.gif

#29 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 October 2007 - 08:09 AM

I would say the reason that Yanks get them cheaper is they can import them from the Asian farms.....

#30 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2007 - 09:48 AM

are we not able to do the same if it is cheaper?

#31 pacco

pacco
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:03 AM

They are not an allowable species for importation.

#32 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2007 - 10:14 AM

oh well... there goes that idea... tongue.gif

#33 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2007 - 01:57 PM

lets all go live in asia??
imagine the access to fish we would get! and CHEAP CHEAP rofl
vic

#34 piscevore

piscevore
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2007 - 10:35 AM

Toga's are not expensive, how many other fish can you buy that reach 90 cm in length for under $200?

Expensive is when you are approaching the $1000 mark, toga's are cheap as chips compared to other tank busters.

Another factor we missed out on is the cost of the water... Believe it or not, when a LFS has a fish sent to them, they also pay for the water it arrives in. Not so much of a problem when its a small fish in a cup or so of H2O, but even a small toga (15 cm) will need a large quantity of water to be sent safely over in. The freight cost is not as cheap as you think.

The cost of the fish needs to cover:

1. The wholesale price of the fish
2. The freight cost
3. The cost of feeding it
4. The cost of housing it (power bills, water bills)
5. Staff wages
6. Misc costs (ie: the bag its sold in, water conditioner, etc)
7. The cost of having AQIS check it out (only for imports, LFS have to pay for the government to come and seize and destroy fish, its not a free service)
8. While toga's might not die easily, the sale from them has to cover the other losses in the shop.

LFS are lucky to even turn a profit on a fish that they only sell for $100 - $300, who the F%#$ are we to sit here and complain about the price on a fish that is actually quite cheap. You will probably spend more every year feeding it goldfish to show off to your mates than the fish cost in the first place.

#35 KrAmEr

KrAmEr
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:16 PM

(piscevore)
Toga's are not expensive, how many other fish can you buy that reach 90 cm in length for under $200?

Expensive is when you are approaching the $1000 mark, toga's are cheap as chips compared to other tank busters.

Another factor we missed out on is the cost of the water... Believe it or not, when a LFS has a fish sent to them, they also pay for the water it arrives in. Not so much of a problem when its a small fish in a cup or so of H2O, but even a small toga (15 cm) will need a large quantity of water to be sent safely over in. The freight cost is not as cheap as you think.

The cost of the fish needs to cover:

1. The wholesale price of the fish
2. The freight cost
3. The cost of feeding it
4. The cost of housing it (power bills, water bills)
5. Staff wages
6. Misc costs (ie: the bag its sold in, water conditioner, etc)
7. The cost of having AQIS check it out (only for imports, LFS have to pay for the government to come and seize and destroy fish, its not a free service)
8. While toga's might not die easily, the sale from them has to cover the other losses in the shop.

LFS are lucky to even turn a profit on a fish that they only sell for $100 - $300, who the F%#$ are we to sit here and complain about the price on a fish that is actually quite cheap. You will probably spend more every year feeding it goldfish to show off to your mates than the fish cost in the first place.

What about Barramundi they are super cheap and grow huge!!!
I didnt mean they are outrageously expensive but why are they so expensive being a native fish, I got my answer and now understand the reason they are expensive. But why did you need to answer it again like I did something wrong by asking the question?

Also I dont feed goldfish im not one of those idiots that get off by feeding live fish, Im quite happy feeding it pellets and frozen foods...

#36 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:27 PM

aren't barra farmed in large quantities?

#37 Iamsam

Iamsam
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2007 - 06:28 PM

(Neakit)
aren't barra farmed in large quantities?

yep barra are very easy to farm hence the cheap price

#38 piscevore

piscevore
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2007 - 09:27 AM

(KrAmEr)
What about Barramundi they are super cheap and grow huge!!!
I didnt mean they are outrageously expensive but why are they so expensive being a native fish, I got my answer and now understand the reason they are expensive. But why did you need to answer it again like I did something wrong by asking the question?

Also I dont feed goldfish im not one of those idiots that get off by feeding live fish, Im quite happy feeding it pellets and frozen foods...

Barra part already been answered, moving on...

Mate I didn't direct any of my statement at you, don't know where you got that impression from. I answered it again because I felt that some key points were missed out on, I also felt I could summarise what everyone had previously said into one post, making it easier for future readers of this topic to get the information contained within.

The reason why I made that statement about feeding goldfish is because I was one of those idiots that fed live food. My mates actually used to buy goldfish and bring them over just to see my arros and knives eat them. Every year I had a few hundred dollars of goldfish go into my tank.

#39 DR14GoNF14SH

DR14GoNF14SH
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2007 - 11:10 AM

"Toga's are not expensive, how many other fish can you buy that reach 90 cm in length for under $200?"

there is not much that is cheaper but many that are around that same price... that are much more exotic...

1.Clown knives
2.Senegal bichirs
3.Silver arowana
4.Giant Gourami
5.Peacock Bass

Infact PBass, clown knives and giant gourami are perfect examples... all i have seen available under $150, with PBass available at around $50!!! 8O :twisted:

"Believe it or not, when a LFS has a fish sent to them, they also pay for the water it arrives in. Not so much of a problem when its a small fish in a cup or so of H2O, but even a small toga (15 cm) will need a large quantity of water to be sent safely over in. The freight cost is not as cheap as you think. "

Right... i have had many a fish sent over from the east...ime it is much much cheaper at the end of the day to send bulk fish, rather than one fish...
And as far as 15cm togas are concerned, i dont think that is the size they are arriving at... when in season i have seen most togas to be around 5-6cm... so i dont believe for a second that postage is the reason togas are expensive... :roll:

"LFS are lucky to even turn a profit on a fish that they only sell for $100 - $300, who the F%#$ are we to sit here and complain about the price on a fish that is actually quite cheap"

laugh.gif laugh.gif Is this really needed? i can tell you... if it were i that wrote these words... id have gotten "another" warning... :roll: laugh.gif

e. :wink:

#40 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2007 - 12:25 PM

I did agree to piscevores comment mostly But the second comment I would have to agree with dragonfish.

"LFS are lucky to even turn a profit on a fish that they only sell for $100 - $300, who the F%#$ are we to sit here and complain about the price on a fish that is actually quite cheap"

Was This Needed??

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users