Photo

I have bred black ghost knife,s

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#21 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 06:35 PM

well this means ive figerd out how to sex them cause i thought they where one of each but never thought they would breed cause these no info about sexing or breeding

#22 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 April 2007 - 07:01 PM

wow i can see the pics now biggrin.gif very nice fish! Hope it all goes well for you smile.gif

Good luck and congratulations!

Craig (jealous laugh.gif )

#23 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:38 PM

Benckie! You bloody legend!

Congrats on the new bgk fry... Pls keep us updated on the new additions... perhaps write an article???

When you got ur bgk was it that they looked different that made you think that they were either male or female??? Its so hard to tell haha...

Goodwork! Keep it up!!

#24 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 08:45 PM

as any one who has talked to me i watch my fish i dont mean 5 mins here and there i spend months looking at them i study there movments and how they act and ive had a few bgk and they are difrent even the fry i have are difrent you can tell them apart sex wise but as for male and female i think i know witch is the male and female that is as far as im going to go in giving away my secrects let my enjoy being one of a few who has bred them then ill see if i can get it published or some thing to make it common info as for my typing ill find it hard to write an artical you have to ask my wife nicley so i can get her to word and type it

#25 temptazn

temptazn
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:10 PM

lol haha ok...

i think mine is female atm from reading other articles... we'll have to see when i get what-i-think is a male...

looking forward to joining the club!!!

biggrin.gif

#26 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 April 2007 - 09:40 PM

i shouldnt of posted now every man and his dog is going to try and breed them. i have been aske to write an summary for mongabay.com ill see how that goes. i would like to put it in a fish mag. im off to bed ill let you guys know more later and ill post some more pic,s

#27 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 April 2007 - 11:59 PM

hi the bgk are sold and even though not many people will be happy with me im going to keep the info to myself for a little long to protect mine and the other persons investment in the bgk,s as for the fish magazines and website's that have offerd to publish the story in how to breed and sex them there going to have to wait a little longer then i will tell the world food, water and sexing its worth more then a free tshirt. and as for the one other person who is ment to of bred them in australia i cant even find a name or an email adress or an excat location so yeah mabe i might be the first ???

#28 Domino89

Domino89
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 April 2007 - 12:26 PM

Congrats Shaney! This is your sister here.

smile.gif Emma smile.gif

#29 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 09:58 AM

the fry are doing well growing fast eating well

#30 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:00 AM

Good to hear.

Keep a careful watch on the tank conditions.

If your nitrates rise to anything over 50ppm, theyll die, very sensitive fish.

Just a warning.

Take lots of pics while you can laugh.gif

Keep up the good work

#31 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:02 AM

yeah i know ive killed a few befor

#32 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:08 AM

i dont blame you for selling the pair, especially knowing what can hapen if your conditions fluctuate unexpectedly.

#33 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:36 AM

Yeah it was a big gammble selling them but i didnt sell them cause i thought they would die i sold them cause i need money but i do wish i kept them but i know there in good hands and i know ill be able to bred them again !

Afew people are angry cause i will not give up any info on them or sexing witch is a lot difrent to the pdf thats going round.

It took me ages just to get the water right and ive had many a bgk they arnt the hardest fish ! but im not a tight ass when it come to filtration so since upping my filter on the bgk tank i havnt had any dramer i havnt lost any bgk,s in over a 12 months and the last one i lost cause of a handing feeding gone wrong !

Ive gone to 14 times an hour external canister 4 stage media with alot of extra media added and uv lights incase of a crash in the tank if i do some thing stupid.

If you have a healthy tank and a healthy bgk they wont die unless we do some thing stupid.

I dont over stock any of my tanks thats the key to not loosing any fish an once you have a tank sety up for a while you dont have to keep testing the water aslong as its a healthy tank and not to rushed in its set up imo, I never have any hi levels of any thing in the tank well any of my tanks.

In saying that i did move a 5 foot tank a while ago and the uv light blew then i lost all our clownies but 2 dude to white spot but that was my fault not the tanks.

#34 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 10:46 AM

So you reckon you'll be able to breed them again?

Ill leave that up to you lol.

Good luck!

#35 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:03 AM

For sure ill be able to breed them again ! i spent 7 months studying them and spent ages finding partners for my bgk. and didnt pay attention to the crap on the net ! i already had got two large males thanks to a friend and going to wait for my fry to grow up a bit and start it all over again but for now im going to let my mate who brought them have a good go at it and once every thing dies down and people forget all about this and stop pretending they're experts on bgk not saying i am, im a newbie, ill breed them again.

To be honest i wish i never mentioned that they bred ive had to play it down since. but for now ive moved on to some new projects like breeding sailfins and mono sabea,s im staying away from what every one else does, and going in a different direction, i like to be challenged, I dont like to follow !

#36 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 11:21 AM

I like they way you have faith in yourself, very good smile.gif

Breeding sailfins ay, youre gonna need a nice big tank and a nice big mudbank for them to hollow out!

Mono serbaes would be an interesting fish to breed to. Im guessing theyd lay their eggs on a flat rock or leaf of a sword plant?

#37 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:28 PM

Who said any thing about a tank ???

And no mono,s dont lay eggs on rocks

#38 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:35 PM

(benckie)
And no mono,s dont lay eggs on rocks

Why, have you bred them? :roll:

#39 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 May 2007 - 12:39 PM

Have a look at this -

http://www.aquariumf...os_breeding.htm

#40 benckie

benckie
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 May 2007 - 01:08 PM

Yeah but no fry yet and they dont lay on rocks its funny how they do it but i have other fish in with them and sailfins that like there eggs there egg are very hard to see and its hard to maintain the salt theres ways you get them to spaw witch is a lot of mucking around and you cant have any other thing in with them cause theywill die in the water condtion you have to spawn them we are still sorting out our tanks adn fish to make more room so i can pay more attention to detail. its going to be a long project but not aslong as the sailfins that will take atlest 3 years. and that link you showed me ive read that a while ago

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users