Bare 6X2X2

setting up

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Johno1982

Johno1982
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2013 - 02:44 PM

Hi all!!! I have a bare 6x2x2 and im lookibg at going marine....what will I need to set it up as a marine tank? All equipment? Rock/corals and how long do I leave it? Need some advise on how to turn an old fresh water tank into a good marine tank fully from scratch.

#2 Redevilz

Redevilz
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2013 - 04:38 PM

Welcome to the world of marine!!

Firstly you need to choose if you would like to use a sump or not. A sump is another tank (as big as you fit under the tank) that is connected to the main tank via pipe and pump... You can put the equipment in the sump so you cannot see it. Not only does having a sump add water to your system; therefore being more stable but it also looks better. I strongly recommend a sump.

You will need heaters, a protein skimmer, lighting and wavemakers.

Choosing livestock:

The corals that you can keep depends on the brightness/quality of your lights and the power of your wavemakers. If this is your first marine tank I would recommend Xenia, hammer corals, torch corals, bubble corals, corallimorphs, zoos and toadstools.

Some of the nicer easy to keep fish include Bangaii cardinals, ocellaris and percula clownfish, pyjama cardinals, blue tangs, coral beauty angelfish, most blennies and gobies.

Be careful of some Angelfish as some varieties will eat corals.

Filling your tank:

You have 3 options of where you get your water from to fill your tank. You can either use tap water and just add salt that you buy (you need to add the right amount otherwise fish and corals can die. Another option is to collect water from the ocean (further offshore the better). Or the best option which is to get premixed and already has good bacteria and the right salt level from a local fish store.

Use fine coral sand for the gravel

I strongly recommend you get test kits for ammonia, nitrate, nitrite, calcium, phosphate, pH, kH and salinity.

These are what the parameters should be:
pH 8.0-8.4
Ammonia 0
Phosphate 0
Nitrate 0
Nitrite 0
kH 8-13
Calcium 350-500 depending on what corals you are keeping.
Salinity 1.020-1.025

Feel free to ask more questions.

Cheers and goodluck

#3 aussiemcgee

aussiemcgee
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 July 2013 - 03:04 PM

Agreed, especially the sump part (google sump designs/ you tube or MASA sites) But tap water is a big no no, use RO water - can buy a system or buy from LFS

also there are people who deliver Natural salt water - keep an ibc or a couple of blue 220L drums on hand for water changes. About $50 for 500 - 600L last time I bout it a few years back

Do heaps of research and look at as many systems as you can - on line or in person.

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 July 2013 - 11:52 AM

Research everything thouroughly Before Doing It. Invest In As Much Live Rock As You can For Your Sump And Display Tank. A 6x2x2 Is Going To Cost You A Shitload Of Cash To Setup Compared To Anything Freshwater. I Dont Want To Put You Off But Just Keep In Mind That You Dont Get Away With Taking Shortcuts With Marine Tanks. Best To Spend The Time And Money To Set It Up Right At The Start. There Are Some Knowledgable Marine People Right Here But As Sugested check Out www.Masa.asn.au As Well.

#5 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 August 2013 - 10:30 PM

read read and read some more. Don't impulse buy you will regret it. Spend money on water movement, the more times you can turn it over in an hour the better (with in reason) My last tank i had 135x an hour, a hard ask for a 6x2x2 but it will give you an idea of what you can get up to with out stressing things out.

Also good lighting is also a nessesity unless your going fowlr.

Have a good idea of exactly what you want first then go in that direction, dont just play it by ear it wont work.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users