Photo

Amphilaphus Festae

• Please log in to reply
41 replies to this topic

#1 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 December 2016 - 05:34 AM

I recently acquired what I'm pretty sure is a very young pair of festae/red terrors a week ago. I was really keen on these guys. They have been in there own tank now for 5 days now and they still seem very skittish. Does red terror really stand for terrified? Haha
I have tried looking for some detailed keeping information on the web, but seems it's mainly just profiles on the fish. Just thought I'd put the call out to see if anyone here has kept or even bred these guys and can maybe be kind enough to share some info and experiences. Thanks in advance. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#2 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2016 - 08:47 AM

Hood - not generally a skittish fish. The problem would most likely be that they do not feel secure. Two small fish in a tank is never a great way to raise young fish in my opinion. Add more fish, whether it be a dispensable dither type fish or more Festae. Depending on what 'very young' means, i would start with a group of 5 minimum if wanting a pair later down the road. Better chance at both sexes and gives you some assurance if one dies at some stage, 

#3 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 December 2016 - 09:39 AM

It was not an option unfortunately. These were the last two at city farmers currumbine. Apparently they only sold the odd one out of 20 they got, then what we assume to be the dominant male took out the rest leaving him and what appears to be the female he likes. I umm'd and arr'd for a few days then Jase kindly offered me a good price to take what we both believed to be a pair as likely they would just sit around for ages in what is technically too small a tank.
So I took the punt and have taken them on. They have their own bare bottom tank. They are starting to take some frozen food now. But as soon as the light comes on they hide. I'm thinking maybe they are a bit light sensitive and should maybe put a weaker light on that tank?
Thank you for taking the time to share your knowledge with me. :)

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:03 AM

Sounds like you have a couple of factors working against you right now.

-barebottom, while I love tanks with no substrate, the glass can be reflective to some extent when lights are turned on, and does nothing to make small fish feel secure.

- 2 small fish on their own in a tank.  

Add a thin layer of substrate, add some more hiding places in particularly overhead structure. Whether that be a small amount of floating plants or over hanging wood/rock work and add more fish. Assuming the fish are healthy you will notice an instant difference in the behaviour of your fish. 

#5 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:30 AM

Thank you. That is great advice. I will get onto this after work and let you know the results. I definitely think it's the light factor as they seem perfectly normal when the lights are off. So I'll try giving them some pots and stuff for caves. I might try a less bright light too. I'm not too keen on adding substrate as I like to syphon out debris and water change in my fishroom every other day. If that still doesn't do the trick I'll try some dithers too. Thanks again. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hood, 08 December 2016 - 11:36 AM.

#6 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:45 AM

Always had similar issues with baby bass. Add some dither fish if possible, I always found congos work well, their larger size makes them invincible to being eaten by smaller predators

#7 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 December 2016 - 11:59 AM

Awesome, thanks Jules. You just answered what was going to be my next question; what are good dither fish to look into? :)

Edited by Hood, 08 December 2016 - 02:26 PM.

#8 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 December 2016 - 06:43 PM

Ok, so I've put some pots and fake plants in there for now. Havn't been able to get to the store to get some dither fish yet, as I'm stuck looking after little man. Hopefully I can get some tomorrow.

#9 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 09 December 2016 - 04:41 PM

Ok, have to watch little fella again this arvo. Got into city farmers clarkson though. No Congo tetras, but they had sword tails 5 for $20 so I got a few of those. See if these change things before becoming food. Haha. ;)

#10 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 09 December 2016 - 07:30 PM

Well it seems to have sorted the problem. They're out and coloring up. But I only count four sword tails. Hmm.

#11 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 December 2016 - 10:28 AM

Haha that was quick ;) 2 birds 1 stone free food and getting them coloured up

#12 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 10 December 2016 - 04:24 PM

Haha. Yeah, well only three sword tails this morning. We took the little fella for his first swim today at baby spa in subiaco. On the way home we stopped in at whitfords to get something to eat. On the way out I noticed a city farmers I'd never seen before. So popped into city farmers (I know city farmers again, but there are no fish stores in this northern corridor) whitfords and had a look. Turns out I found Congo tetras for $6.80ea I bought all seven. After bulk discount it was $46.80, I had ten dollars credit on my member card so came to $36.80 and they are now swimming around with my festae and the last three sword tails. They are much bigger than the sword tails so this should work for a while. Fingers crossed and I'll try to get some pics for you guys soon. :) Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by Hood, 10 December 2016 - 04:26 PM.

#13 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2016 - 06:46 PM

Ye I've been there it's not bad shop but IMO the best big chain shop Near us is the one at drovers ( I won't name it as it's not a sponser ) but the guy there is a massive breeder and sells mostly his stock which also supply some other LFS

#14 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 12 December 2016 - 07:50 PM

Oh yeah I know the guy. He used to work at exotic in wangara. I havn't been to the one your speaking of in a long time. I didn't realise that they got anything decent in there. Last time I went there it was nothing special.

#15 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 December 2016 - 10:54 PM

Ye that's him ,Wouldn't say rare stuff just your mostly common cichlids like red empress , polystigma , red top zebras and he even brings in some frontosas every so often every one I've bought from him have been very good quality
He usually sells his rare stuff to Paul at Morley

#16 Hood

Hood
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 December 2016 - 05:34 AM

Yeah every time I talk to him he talks about having the biggest fishroom, like hundreds of tanks. He always talked about trying to save as many rare species as he could. Good to hear he's actually putting out some good quality fry. He does seem to take pride in what he does.
So mainly just your common malawi's there then yeah? I'm always chasing oddities that I havn't bred yet/miss breeding. :)

#17 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 December 2016 - 07:08 AM

Ye mostly common Malawis and some tangs I'm pretty sure all mine are from his stock

#18 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 13 December 2016 - 10:10 PM

Always had similar issues with baby bass. Add some dither fish if possible, I always found congos work well, their larger size makes them invincible to being eaten by smaller predators

Fantastic fish! :) Had completely gone off tetras but impressed with them. (Probably a credit to the previous owner :) )

#19 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 08:22 AM

Half of those ones you got from me Delapool, where used as dithers for my current Pbass.

#20 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 December 2016 - 10:24 AM

Yeah every time I talk to him he talks about having the biggest fishroom, like hundreds of tanks. He always talked about trying to save as many rare species as he could. Good to hear he's actually putting out some good quality fry. He does seem to take pride in what he does.
So mainly just your common malawi's there then yeah? I'm always chasing oddities that I havn't bred yet/miss breeding. :)

Sounds like you are talking about Gary Basto (spelling) - i usually find fish are like anything the harder people brag the less they have to brag about.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users