10 Foot Tank Cycling.

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2015 - 07:58 PM

Hi all.

Im soon going to be refilling my 10 foot tank to begin cycling.

Ive kept the two FX5's running so the bacteria remains alive but im confused about how to cycle the tank.

If i fill the tank up with tap water and then run the filters wont the bacteria be killed off by the tap water or does using a dechlorinator stop this issue all together?

Thanks.

#2 Tonster76

Tonster76
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2015 - 08:40 PM

Hi all.

Im soon going to be refilling my 10 foot tank to begin cycling.

Ive kept the two FX5's running so the bacteria remains alive but im confused about how to cycle the tank.

If i fill the tank up with tap water and then run the filters wont the bacteria be killed off by the tap water or does using a dechlorinator stop this issue all together?

Thanks.

I always assumed people meant the tap water washes away the good bacteria rather than actually killing it. So if you add tap water to a closed system you should retain all the good bacteria that was there when you add it.

Ill be interested what others reply

#3 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 July 2015 - 10:46 PM

The Chlorine levels in water straight out of the tap, generally found at a level of 4 ppm will damage filter bacteria (Nitrobacter & Nitrosomonas) and have a detrimental impact on fish.

Adding some water conditioner (Active ingredient: Sodium thiosulphate) will 'neutralize' the chlorine within minutes. Just add some before you fill the tank then wait 20 mins before you put your filter back on.

API tap water condition is the best value product for conditioning large volumes of water and the one I use. A water conditioner in some shape or form should always be used when adding water from the tap into the aquarium.

You will generally suffer unavoidable damage to your filter bacteria when you turn your filters off for more than a couple of hours (Particularly in canisters as they are a sealed vessel). This is due to lack of freshwater, nutrients and oxygen in the canister as fresh water is not flowing through it, Just try and minimize the time your filter are not running.

Otherwise if you need a day or 2 to swap things over just open the lids of the canisters and drop an air-stone in.

#4 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 July 2015 - 08:01 AM

Thanks mate.

#5 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2015 - 12:56 PM

Hi Rovik.

Just to confirm this with you.

I can fill the tank with tap water. Add a conditioner. Throw in a powerhead for 20 minutes or so. Connect the canister filters. Turn the filters on and the bacteria wont be killed and the tank can then be filled with fish and no "tank cycling" will be required?

Cheers mate.

#6 chocky

chocky
  • Photo Comp Official

Posted 14 September 2015 - 01:22 PM

you'll need some source of ammonia if you dont plan on putting fish in straight away :)

#7 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:42 PM

Yes, this should be sufficient. Just go overboard on the water conditioner and keep feeding to a minimum when you put the fish back in.

Although the filters are a concentrated area for beneficial bacteria growth, there are many other sites for bacteria such as the large amounts of gravel in the aquarium, rocks.....really any static surface area.

The lack of this "extra" bacteria in a new aquarium is the reason why I recommend you should only feed every second day for the first week or too after putting fish back in.

#8 kassysimon

kassysimon
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 September 2015 - 05:45 PM

Sweet!
Thanks again..

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#9 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 September 2015 - 12:19 AM

you'll need some source of ammonia if you dont plan on putting fish in straight away :)

why ? 

contrary to popular belief -> bacteria doesnt die off without an ammonia source - they become dormant... and will become active when an ammonia source is present... 

if you have kept oxygen rich water flowing through your filter then the bacteria will survive long period of time without an ammonia source...

#10 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 19 September 2015 - 07:53 PM

The absence of ammonia doesn't affect nitrosomonas bacteria long term - as bigjohnnofish said they can remain alive without ammonia for up to 342 days (http://jb.oxfordjour...4/4/811.short).

But the conditions have to be right - ie right temp, pH, no harmful substances.

In short, if all you did was to remove the fish (ammonia source) from the tank and kept the filters running, the bacteria will be fine and will start oxidising ammonia as soon as fish are reintroduced.

#11 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2015 - 01:31 PM

This is taking me back to my aquaculture days but, from memory Nitrosomonas converts ammonia to nitrite. Nitrobacter converts nitrite to nitrate (simple terms), is Nitrobacter as resilient to a lack of 'food source' as Nitrosomonas? If it isn't you would have ammonia converted to Nitrite and not into the less toxic Nitrate? This would happen until new colonies of Nitrobacter were given an opportunity to colonise your filter media.

#12 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 September 2015 - 10:09 PM

Populations do decrease due to lack of food source,,, but they always stay in existence to a decent level.
Once food source increases, the bacteria multiplies exceptionally fast in accordance. (as if populations at a lower level has no I impact when confronted with a elevation of food source)......
It's always a good idea though, to restock at a moderate rate rather than full stock load all at once.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users