Photo

Silent Air Pumps

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Matt_1

Matt_1
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:29 PM

Hey looking for silent airpumps. I'm talking the quietest you know. I'm currently using an Aqua One 9500 and I rate that as too loud.

Cheers,
Matt

#2 Ricksta

Ricksta
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2009 - 04:33 PM

hey mate i just bought a piton air pump and it's the quietest pump i've ever had and u dont have 2 worrie about a diaphram breaking

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:01 PM

Eheim is the quietest I have personally seen.

#4 Mudjimba

Mudjimba
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2009 - 05:20 PM

G'day Matt,

Eheim are great, quiet,powerful and individually adjustable and well priced when you consider how many Aquaones.

Bought a couple of JUN brand ACO-5502 (10 or so years ago)(smaller than what you've mentioned) they have been fantastic(quiet, no maintenance required so far, they just keep working great.)
Although I havn't seen them for years, so I did a search and it appears Mr. Jun is the boss of Hailea(spell check)
and their pumps seem to be identical to the ones I have.

cheers

Glenn

#5 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 May 2009 - 08:21 PM

I would go Schego personally....just as quiet, if not quieter, than Eheim air pumps. They are a German made airpump and IMO much more reliable as well. Schego parts are very reasonably priced....even the coil can be replaced whereas most others cannot.

#6 Matt_1

Matt_1
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:07 PM

Well noise is the main factor as they're sitting about 2m from my head when I'm sleeping (or trying to). Where do I find Schego pumps and what price would I be looking at?

#7 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:17 PM

Aquotix stock them.....i will pm you a price tomorrow Matt.

#8 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2009 - 09:51 PM

schego are great but they are expensive, saying that they are the only ones i own, i have tried other brands but found them all loud compared to a schego. (note i haven't tried an eheim air pump yet)

Simon

#9 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 May 2009 - 10:52 PM

QUOTE (cichlids4life @ May 8 2009, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
hey mate i just bought a piton air pump and it's the quietest pump i've ever had and u dont have 2 worrie about a diaphram breaking

Do you mean PISTON air pump. Didn't know that these were still available (secondhand?).I used to run several of these many years ago; and yes they are certainly quiet. BUT they were expensive to buy. expensive (relatively) to run, and had a rather poor air output.

Of course you may be referring to an electromagnetic piston pump, and not the mechanical piston- activated- by- a- small -squirrel-cage- motor pump. The former tend to start off quiet and progressively become noisier. Some detail would help!

Syd.

#10 hellrazorone

hellrazorone
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2009 - 03:38 PM

I use Rena air pumps ... they are expensive but really good.
Used to have Stellar but found they went noisy after a while.
I remember that Seaview told me I could replace the internals to get it quiet again.

#11 Chaddy

Chaddy
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 09:12 AM

Hey I wrap mine up in bubble wrap, works a treat smile.gif

#12 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 12:21 PM

Careful doing that because air pumps need to draw air from somewhere, the surrounding area.....if the bubble wrap is restricting this then you can damage your pump, not to mention your air pump can get quite hot in a confined space such as that. In my experience heat and plastic do not always go well together. It might be fine now but just a potential hazard to look out for. You can just sit the air pump on a bit of foam and this generally absorbs most of the vibrations.

#13 Ricksta

Ricksta
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 May 2009 - 01:08 PM

QUOTE (sydad @ May 8 2009, 10:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Do you mean PISTON air pump. Didn't know that these were still available (secondhand?).I used to run several of these many years ago; and yes they are certainly quiet. BUT they were expensive to buy. expensive (relatively) to run, and had a rather poor air output.

Of course you may be referring to an electromagnetic piston pump, and not the mechanical piston- activated- by- a- small -squirrel-cage- motor pump. The former tend to start off quiet and progressively become noisier. Some detail would help!

Syd.

yeh mate i did mean electromagnetic piston pump lol. 20lph does my 8 tank's easily. cost was less than $40

#14 troyww

troyww
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2009 - 05:11 PM

I've got a brand new rena and a couple of larger aqua one pumps and a really really old Schego . The Schego smokes the other 2 brands for loudness . More expensive to buy , More expensive to run ? Who cares when you can't hear it .
The Aqua ones are hell noisy but larger output , so probably fine if you are putting them in a fish room .
I only came across this thread as Im trying to find a m2k3 deluxe to replace my Aqua one pump . Stop using the rena ages ago as it was about the same output as the Schego but 3 times the noise .

#15 Krystal

Krystal
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 27 September 2009 - 10:42 PM

Aquotix stock the Schego m2k3 airpump....I just bought one myself

#16 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:01 PM

How much does the m2k3 go for?

#17 Bluey

Bluey
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 September 2009 - 11:53 PM

Schego M2K3 works for me as well, excellent bit of gear!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users