Photo

The Beast Of Canning Vale

• Please log in to reply
58 replies to this topic

#1 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 06:12 PM

Saw this today and thought it needed posting. Not a bad size cod. I wonder if it ate many ducks?

http://www.watoday.c...121-11rbdp.html

#2 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:12 PM

Great! There goes any chance of getting translocation permits for eastern states predators.

#3 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 07:30 PM

Swot I thought. On the other hand, you might be able to get wild caught :)

#4 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:14 PM

This made the Channel 9 news tonight but was mentioned a few weeks back.

There shouldn't be any WA native freshwater fish or crustaceans etc in any of these MAN MADE lakes. Chances are it's eating the Koi and Goldfish people are throwing in there. If there are WA natives in there I sure hope that the council sought translocation approval before releasing them in there...

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:32 PM

Murrays have no place in WA waterways but tell me you wouldnt pay good money to fish for them in a dam down south like they do over east.

#6 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 08:49 PM

Canning vale will be crawling with anglers this weekend!

Should free up a bit if space on the beach for me though... :) 

#7 GrandLocomon

GrandLocomon
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 November 2014 - 09:24 PM

You should see the koi in the 'lake' just across from Livingston marketplace. It is huge!

• ice likes this

#8 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:26 PM

They were stocked in the Avon in about the sixties with the last recorded catch in the eighties. They aren't all that different from trout or redfin or yabbies that have already highly modified the majority of our waterways...
<br />

#9 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 November 2014 - 06:53 PM

Myself and another member were doing recon missions out in the local lakes to catch large koi and carp!! They put up a super fight! You'd be surprised what's in local waters...

#10 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 22 November 2014 - 07:11 PM

Dressed like a Rastafarian Ninja

#11 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 22 November 2014 - 08:01 PM

Oooh - murray cod might be a problem???? So what is the difference with trout then??? Oh yeah, fisheries make money from it....

#12 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 22 November 2014 - 09:10 PM

Ooh snap Oli you bitch ha ha

#13 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2014 - 01:56 AM

Technically we should be protecting the Murray Cod, they're just about wiped out of there natural habitat..... Yet another species on the edge of extinction....

Plus I'm gonna start feeding my fish dog food!! The growth rate is phenomenal, I wonder if I need to open the can first?? :)

#14 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:31 AM

do some logical thinking - one murray cod introduced into every man made lake would equal no more goldfish , koi , carp , gambusia and everything else that finds its way into these man made lakes... install a tracker on the cod and they can retrieve it to release into another feral lake.... 

hmmm so if murray cod were released in the 60's in the avon river then it is possible there could still be some murray cod in our swan river system.... hmmmm was it another government release based on very little thought ???

#15 Adam

Adam
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2014 - 07:51 AM

No the stocking was well thought out and considered to establish them as a recreational species, similar to trout. A viable breeding population could not be established and they died out. You have to remember that they did this with many species including silver and golden perch. It is what a proactive fisheries did in that time. Given climate and such wouldn't you prefer they continued to stock eastern state species rather than trout? I'm not sure why there hasn't been a push to change stockings of some of the northern most trout streams and dams...
<br />

#16 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2014 - 03:27 PM

I imagine the salinity, along with the fertiliser and pesticide runoff put paid to the introduction of pretty much anything into the Avon/Helena/Swan system.

If anything can live in that, then good luck to it IMO.

As to these created ponds on housing estates, I don't know that they have any tangible connection to natural lakes. As such, having a murray cod in one is not that different to having one in a tub in the backyard. Certainly it would help get rid of any carp or whatnot. It's not like there is a delicate natural system in place where a muzza or two will throw out the balance.

While I would not be going around introducing these things, I don't really see the danger in a few lurking in ponds like these.

I think the Murdoch uni guys just wanted to be in the sun for a day having a lark.

#17 Androo

Androo
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 November 2014 - 05:59 PM

One of the farms I worked on had a series of 10 ponds that would run into each other with a good rain , Id catch perch, brim and a murray cod (only in one pond and I could see the dark shadow moving for hours as I tried to catch him)

#18 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:36 AM

I was a bit upset with WAtoday for sharing the exact location of this spot, had only just found out there was cod there after going there on Koi missions in the past and was about to try and catch one of these elusive beast only to have it plastered all over the bloody internet.

Fairly irresponsible of them for quite a few different reasons.

Would be interested to know the exact legalities of catching one of these, I'm sure the locals would have been less than impressed. I wonder if there were a heap of fisherman there this weekend?

#19 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2014 - 08:51 AM

must of been feeding on all them peacock bass in the canning vale rivers :Rofl_3f:  :Rofl_3f: :Rofl_3f:  

#20 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 November 2014 - 11:07 AM

*Giggles*

I wondered if that would come up...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users