Delapool's 150 Gallon Tank

• Please log in to reply
457 replies to this topic

#381 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 16 February 2019 - 07:43 PM

Ugh, as per last time the light transformer fell off back of tank.

Cleaned canister, pulled out plants (trimmed ferns right back and wood, got most gravel out in bucket.

Just waiting for it to drain, then scrape out rest of gravel to clean tomorrow. Refill and put plants back in.

Will run with internal filter only.

#382 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 18 February 2019 - 07:21 AM

Tank looks a bit cloudy still - not sure if just clay. Will dose some prime tonight (thought of doing a test but it’s packed in a box somewhere lol).

#383 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 March 2019 - 04:59 AM

Tank seems to be going with no leaks (yet to fill all the way). It’s about a foot out from wall as need to paint wall at some stage - but to get going for the moment!

Added aquarium soil pellets, ada power one sand (mainly pumice) and gravel from before (could of skipped that maybe but oh well).

Tank seems to be clearing amazingly fast. Think I’ll add the wood and plants sitting in buckets tomorrow and that will do for moment. Next weekend get the canister filter and maybe CO2 going again. Maybe, settled into new house but usual tonne of work to do.

Water change tomorrow while I lay a few pavers for air cons going in Wednesday.

#384 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:02 AM

Geez, substrate can be expensive. I added a 18l bag of soil pellets ($70 from selling plants), plus gifted a 18l bag of ADA ($230!!! gift https://www.thetechd...s_p/104-013.htm ).

Lastly I added 18l of leftover gravel (could of skipped that maybe but like colour better).

f09f50e09babee97e331ccaae1692582.jpg

#385 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 March 2019 - 07:08 AM

Sadly lost quite a few fish - pretty much killed me getting inside the house sorted and I think the weather was too hot for them in buckets.

Eventually I’ll shift tank back against wall but thinking of getting some screens to put either side to hide stuff. Also has large window on right side so thinking I can block the sun as well. Lots to do :)

Oh yeah - I learnt that I can’t slide the tank on Lino like on tiles....

#386 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 March 2019 - 09:45 PM

Plants in - bit more action.

Between stretching into tank and laying pavers for air-con, done stuffed a muscle in my back so nothing further. Need some more plants up back right of tank but left room for CO2 and filters.

3bb1a5e6217947c9186105675057ac06.jpg

#387 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 08 March 2019 - 11:42 AM

Hope to add CO2 and canister filter this weekend. Also fill tank to top and hope nothing goes wrong... I think the tie-down straps popped nails out slightly on one corner of stand but put them back in and seems solid still.

#388 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 10 March 2019 - 09:24 AM

Setting up large canister and tank fill to top. See how it goes ....

#389 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 10 March 2019 - 12:09 PM

No leaks! Took the filter wool out of canister so apart from fine sponge should just be a place for bacteria to live. Setting up CO2 roughly. Then sort out electrical cords tonight but should be a breeze with foot gap between tank and wall. Kind of idly wondered if it would be quicker to paint wall or tape tank background.

#390 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 18 May 2019 - 08:50 AM

f7c7beabfbe07fd5681bb6a9921abc54.jpg

So been a while of not doing much and took a photo while doing a water change.

Readings of less than 5ppm nitrate (might explain the unhappy bolbitis) and 0.5ppm phosphate (test kit expired ages ago yikes!).

Bought a timer to run the second light for short periods but not really seeing the need. The t5ho doing the job for the ferns and Anubias. Still dreaming of getting to a fish shop when funds permit.

On the good news side, zero GSA on glass since turning off second light. Minimal green algae on glass.

#391 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 18 May 2019 - 10:41 AM

Also on the plus side I managed to not drop a towel or sleeve corner in the tank water :)

#392 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 16 June 2019 - 05:30 AM

The bolbitis still hates me

I ran an experiment for a couple of weeks (ie I forgot I’d done it), where left the second light running. Result was drastically browned off bolbitis (which I’ve generally taken as deficient in majors not algae growth) and green algae on tank glass.

Nitrates read 5pmm so upping dosing. Out of date phosphate test kit read 0.25ppm and new kit read 1ppm (I thought interesting that I’d found out of date nitrate kits to also under-read).

I’m still tempted to run the second light for an hour just as it sits there lol but apart from one plant, the ferns and Anubias I confess seem fine without it.

#393 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 16 June 2019 - 07:24 PM

since getting rid of all my americans, my bolbitis and coffeefolia have gone nuts. If you want bolbitis let me know. 

#394 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 16 June 2019 - 09:16 PM

Thanks! Will do - hopefully bounces back

#395 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 04 July 2019 - 02:44 PM

Photo of driftwood buy from auction. Impulse buy (one of many!), but quite like it. Thinking of tank re-scape and add more substrate over holidays in a few weeks now.

e12f9ba972607f6901fa8c551b900c0a.jpg
  • sue likes this

#396 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:38 AM

Redid tank over weekend and cleaned up all the plants. Tank is very empty! The bolbitis got mostly cleaned up back to roots and then I got carried away :) New bit of driftwood is in as well.

Thinking of just getting some more angelfish or something else for top of tank as empty up there.

One bulb setting has failed on the quad t5ho. I did set up the other LED to come on just for an hour in morning and night so will try that. Bit of glass algae to clean up still as well.

And I did think it was nice it was a bit over an hours work, mainly with scissors and then umm’ing on wood placement. Nicer than the old days of hours and hours :)

Some early morning shots - just got to wait for ferns to bounce back and see if the liquid carbon dosing was causing melt.

cc4dfc316c349d9fc80d3ed8ec22cb1e.jpg

bfa9dea9df3440efe5ab187b7439d9f3.jpg

#397 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:45 AM

Hathcet fish will look good at the top of the tank! Pretty cool too.

#398 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 15 July 2019 - 08:15 AM

One CO2 diffuser stop again but working this morning so bonus.

The dream of discus is looking a bit out of reach (this house is keeping me broke!). Still tempted to check a few shops this week.

Hathcet fish will look good at the top of the tank! Pretty cool too.

Hey, that’s a good idea - I’ll look into them this week. A few people have said now the top needs more fish :)

#399 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 20 July 2019 - 03:24 PM

Tiger barbs and angelfish (a match made in heaven :) ). Some quick photos before tank clean of glass. Nitrates 10ppm and phosphate 0.25ppm.

4b88570f1d8c9edf157da9897a74420d.jpg

7e22fe8d260e1d488083ba4e1e88a077.jpg
  • sue likes this

#400 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 29 July 2019 - 06:03 PM

Fish have settled in pretty well (barbs are too many to count easily but look in good condition). Water readings 0.25ppm phosphate and I reckon 20ppm nitrate.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users