Jump to content





Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

September Fish of the Month - Uaru amphiacanthoides "Triangle Cichlid" - Details soon

PCS Auction Night - Tuesday 5th November - Details here

International Guest Rusty Wessel - Tuesday 10th December - Details soon


Photo

Leichardti's Diy Led Pendants

DIY LED Cree Luxeon

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member
  • Joined: 11-December 14
  • Location:Perth
  • Location: Butler

Posted 14 July 2019 - 04:13 PM

I decided to try go above and beyond with these lights and try produce something professional. 
It all started here, with this first version: 
Melhmh6.jpg
This is where I first started playing with 3D design. The idea was an enclosed heatsink + fan + LDD-H drivers in the enclosure. I went and got it all 3d printed and we ended up with V1:
rB9fORL.jpg
yJ2nJFk.jpg
vTiBcMC.jpg
The colours were good, the light was bright and everything remained nice and cool. This light is over my tank today and has grown plants really nicely. 
However, I discovered a few issues:
a) Not great ventilation. The small air ducts annoyingly creates a wooshing noise from the fan which is otherwise silent. 
B) I printed in PLA - This is fine if the fan never fails, however I accidentally unplugged it once. The enclosure basically melted. 
c) The mounting system isn't great - I didn't think about how I was going to mount it when I designed the enclosure and so I had to improvise. The way I ended up mounting it works, but isn't that great.
d) The internal wiring is a mess. 2 channels have recently failed probably partially due to this. 
So keeping these issues in mind I have redesigned the entire light - This time using my own aluminium MCPCB's with custom made drivers and even a wifi card add on if I want that (in future), an open heatsink and a tank mounting design. It is way more compact due to the PCB and a thinner heatsink I can use due to the better ventilation.
Here are some Fusion screengrabs:
RBgASYq.png
73uswh8.png
The LED spectrum I've used for this is also different - This time I have focused more on Chlorophyll peaks and the CRI - The end result should be about 6500K and ~90+ CRI according to Spectra. The WiFi card that can add on is on a stackable pcb - There is a 3.3v regulator on the main PCB to feed it if I add it on. It only adds 7mm or so onto the design. I know little about coding however I knew nothing about 3D design before I began this project so I'm sure I'll manage if I go that route.
 
I'm sending the PCB's off to be made and assembled pretty soon, as soon as the manufacturers get back to me. Once I recieve those I'll be sending off the 3d files for the enclosure and mounting parts to be printed, likely in ABS this time.
More updates then ;)


#2 ice

ice
  • Forum Member
  • Joined: 18-January 07
  • Location: Huntingdale, WA

Posted 15 July 2019 - 07:25 AM

Very cool mate!



#3 Delapool

Delapool

    Membership Officer

  • Admin
  • Joined: 10-July 15
  • Location:Viveash
  • Location: Viveash

Posted 15 July 2019 - 12:20 PM

Impressive! Be keen on updates.





Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DIY, LED, Cree, Luxeon

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users