19 replies to this topic

#1 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 14 February 2010 - 07:58 PM

Gday

Chasing an ID on these 2 fish.

Mate bought this for me a year ago as a maingano but dunno about the broken barring

Protomelas similis??

Daz

#2 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:20 PM

Hey Daz,

The first one looks like one I tried to get ID'd awhile ago, best we could figure is I was sold it as a maingano, but it was some type of maingano x inturruptus?

#3 MrOrange

MrOrange
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:25 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Feb 14 2010, 07:58 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Gday

Mate bought this for me a year ago as a maingano but dunno about the broken barring

Could it be an msobo? Does look a bit slender though.

msobo photo by Shaneo on TF

#4 Hydonia

Hydonia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2010 - 08:29 PM

Don't the msobo go whiteish when aggresive? Daz do yours turn whitish? Kind of like the polit's do.

#5 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 February 2010 - 10:24 PM

The hap is definately a similis dazza. The mbuna looks like some type of melanochromis. Could be any of them, not a maingano however

#6 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 14 February 2010 - 11:13 PM

Cheers for the replies guys n gals.

Yeh a bit too slender / elongate to be a msobo MrOrange. Cheers for the suggestion though.

I can see the resemblence to interruptus. Suppose he'll have to sit in the unknown category for a while longer.

( from http://atlas.drpez.o...terruptus-fotos )

Gibbs, cheers for confirming the similis!

I'm looking at thinning out my display tank and want to confirm the IDs before advertising.

Daz

#7 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 15 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

A couple more that I need an ID for -

Aulonocara stuartgranti maleri ??

Aulonocara maylandi ??

#8 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 February 2010 - 11:10 PM

Hey Daz,
The first one looks more to me like the Aulonocara sp. German Red or the Rubin Red whereas Aulonocara stuartgranti maleri has a strong yellow colour. smile.gif
Cheers
Jack

#9 hareysfish

hareysfish
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 02:56 PM

hi Daz, mate i'd say for the first peacock , it looks like a german line bred "red peacock" and for the second , maybe a sulphur crested peacock, i think they are called blue orchid peacocks. tht

#10 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:16 PM

Daz a red peacock is a red peacock mate. They are all fakers smile.gif Unless you 100% know of there linage whether it be rubscens or German i believe they should all get bagged in the red peacock section. There are Maleri species such as the Stuartgranti Maleri "Chipoka" that can resemble this colour but i can't tell you for sure that this fish is that species.

The other may be a Maylandi (sulfur crested peacock) like you suspect. It's all in that dorsal fin daz. If the yellow blaze continues on through it's dorsal then your on the money. If not i would be worried.

The second isn't a Aulonocara kandeense (blue orchid peacock). Their blaze is more of a white/baby blue

#11 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 17 February 2010 - 03:27 PM

Cheers for the replies once again guys.

I'll have a closer look at the dorsal on the sulfur crested.

With the red peacock "who knows" as you say. Pretty sure I picked these up from Preston when he had his shop out Armadale way. He was quite pedantic about the species he kept ans also pointed out how so many genuine peacock species have been lost in the hobby due to the large range, mixing, lack of education etc.

Reading material here - http://www.perthcich...?showtopic=5627

Daz

#12 gibbs

gibbs
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 04:10 PM

It's a good article daz and i completely agree with it.

I remember walking into a fish shop and spotting a tank full of Jacobfreibergi "Undo Reef" (Lemon Jake) which i thought was great until i saw they were labelled as Stuartgranti Maleri "Maleri Island". Couldn't believe it and there was no convincing the owner to correct his label either. Sad.

#13 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 17 February 2010 - 08:06 PM

Another challenge for ya!

This guy isn't for sale as he's one of my favourites. I did have a thread from ages ago trying to get an ID but no luck - http://www.perthcich...showtopic=20186

Daz

#14 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Hey Daz,

Nice fish you got there. It could be Aulonocara stuartgranti "Chilumba" dry.gif . Not 100% sure though.
Its a bit hard to ID peacoks sometimes as there are so many similar colour variants. Sorry that didn't help you much.

Cheers,
Jack

#15 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

Nice work Jack! I reckon that's the closest ID so far.

Sample off the web -

#16 JWin

JWin
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:46 PM

Cool! Glad to help. smile.gif

#17 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 17 February 2010 - 09:49 PM

The first, red peacock is known commercially as "red peacock" - unless it was shipped from Thailand to Germany, then it is called rubecens or red rubin or German red...... often the nicest ones are picked out and called Aul StGr "marleri' - Chidunga rocks (where the original bloodline came from) but alas it has been line bred over the years, and the names changed to make the extra dollar....
the second is a Aul maylandi for sure......
and the last one is quite possibly chilumba.... problem is with small gene pools, the colours can vary after successive generations.....

#18 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 February 2010 - 12:01 AM

I to have the same peacock and it was named Stuartgranti Maleri chipoka when bought.As Mr docfish said they label peacocks many different names it just depends on what flavour of the month it is.Thats the problem with peacocks.

#19 Link2Hell

Link2Hell
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2010 - 05:55 PM

The A. stuartgranti Chipoka peacock or Chipoka Orange was where they developed to Rubens Red from
as a line bred colour form

#20 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

Its still the same peacock. Line breeding just means picking the best of the best to breed from for the next generation.Nothing wrong with that.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users