Photo

Need Help With Breeding Bristlenose Or Other Plecos

• Please log in to reply
31 replies to this topic

#21 zacy boy

zacy boy
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2013 - 08:18 PM

Try buying a pleco or bristlenose that you like first, if it breeds. Bonus, you can sell on some fry to pay for food or your next favorite l number. Buy a fish you find appealing, look after them and they will breed, what you choose to do with the young is up to you :) keep the hobby a hobby, and not a money making scheme and you will enjoy it a lot more :). Having said that, anything bristlenose or l number related, contact bigjohnno, full of advice and when he isn't too busy stirring up freo supporters he will take time out to answer any questions you may have :)

Edited by zacy boy, 02 October 2013 - 08:20 PM.

#22 Dylan Simmons

Dylan Simmons
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2013 - 12:30 AM

http://www.gumtree.c...nose/1028941622 there ya go mate i suggest buying the 90 dollar ones and growing them up together

#23 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2013 - 07:06 AM

Thanks for all your guys help and I wasn't intending on selling them all I wanted to put some in my other tanks.great advice thank you :)

#24 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2013 - 10:26 PM

Hey guys does anyone know how to care for and breed L333 plecos and what price would the babies go for at 5cm

#25 theKid

theKid
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 October 2013 - 12:55 PM

If you want to make money, get an extra job...

If you want to lose all your time, space and sanity to maybe break even then breed catfish :)

As for your Q, L333 @5cm I'd guess around $50 private sale, best to search classifieds if you want prices.

#26 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 October 2013 - 11:00 PM

other thing is at 5cm they sorta become sexable... and people keep the girls and sell the boys to the unsuspecting buyer.... if your looking to get both sexes buy at smaller size round 3cm and get as many as you can afford to get and grow them up.. then when they are big enough to sex... keep all the girls and 2 boys and sell off any extra males cheap.... 

#27 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2013 - 11:42 AM

K cool Btw what are the correct conditions for keeping and breeding l333

#28 fishking123

fishking123
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2013 - 05:21 PM

Iv had a trio of l333 with good success with breeding.
It had same conditions as my breeding peppermint.

#29 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:32 AM

thats no help fishking123 !!!!

keep 333's wet... :) lol... that helps....

no seriously ph isnt important as they have been bred in ph of 6 and in ph over 8... just slow transition between ph's if your moving them... ph 6->8 without slowly climatising them will do damage as they get ph shock and quite often die from it....

temp range 22 to 30 degrees is best... maybe 26 ideal but again not necessary....

water changes and keep nitrates low... nitrite and ammonia should always be zero or expect the worse.. catties are sensitive to ammonia...  

and for breeding you need at least 1 male and 1 female and a suitable cave - reasonable tight fit....

#30 zacy boy

zacy boy
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:01 PM

Fishking is not often very helpful when it comes to catfish breeding advice. But he tries..... I struggled with my peppermints for ages mate, best thing you can do is take the advice from someone willing to take the time to give you accurate advice as there are a few on the forum who will take the time to help, like bigjohnno in this case, set up your tank accordingly and then just leave them alone.

Edited by zacy boy, 10 October 2013 - 09:20 PM.

#31 T1gger

T1gger
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 October 2013 - 03:33 PM

I llove my bristlenose catfish. They look like little sharks. I just got my first bristlenose fry. I thought the eggs wouldn't survive in the breedimg/fry net. But they did. I've heard that they can get stuck in the net so while they are eggs with tails stage today I lined the net with a teatowel and weighted it down with a jam jar lid. Hopefully with the teatowel holes being smaller than the breeding net holes they will be okay. I have noticed that the majority of them like being inside the jam jar lid. I also noticed they are already eating the egg yolk i put in from hard boiled hen egg mixed with water and frozen, then made into granita and a couple of grains disolved in a small cup of aquarium water and then poured in. They are too small for normal food, even the ground up fish flake and chilli red colour enhance food and granular super g food I give to my newborn platty and swordtail fry. I must consider how big to break the algae wafers or if they are even suitable but at least they wont starve while I suss it out.

Thankyou to whoever came up with the idea of egg yolk. This got me out of a big hole. As I never know what or how many fry will turn up and when. I always have some in the freeer.

Edited by T1gger, 25 October 2013 - 03:56 PM.

#32 Patto

Patto
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 October 2013 - 11:33 AM

If you want to try and breed something and have some fun along the way, try common brittlenose catfish. As everyone else has said. Once they start breeding they won't stop. They are cheap and pretty hardy and you can learn a bit.
As for selling fry to make money, seriously fish keeping is the wrong hobby for that haha. You won't be able to take your any fish in for store credit at the big pet store chains anymore like City Farmers, Pet Stock etc, they have contracts through wholesalers and unless you have rare or wild caught fish, there won't sell for much, ie electric yellows every second person with a tank has them and they breed very easily haha. But saying that it's more about having fun, it's pretty cool when you finally get something to breed successfully that you have been working on for a while.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users