Photo

Clown Loach Size And Price

• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:04 AM

Im after 4-5 bigger clown loaches - minimum 15cm (prefer 20 odd cm).

Any way, a lot of the LFS have them but they are all over 50 bucks each, and they never ever seem to sell.

Why are they so dear at this size, little ones seem to be fair priced and sell quick but the big ones sit there, and I have seen the same one in many LFS over and over. I swear I have seen some in the store that would have eaten what there worth for how long theyve been there.

Any fish stores want to off load some at a good price?? Or any body got some they want to part??

My main question is why is this the case? If a fish is in store for more then 6 months and costing money to feed, surely the shop would want to offload it for some quick cash? that's my thought

#2 Stuey

Stuey
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:14 AM

For the price fish stores pay for food and the amount of food required to keep a clown loach alive i'd say it would have to be a few years old before it came close to breaking even on the for sale price. Plus it's handy to have adults there so the staff can show customers who want the cute little babies for their 2 foot aquarium a reason why they aren't suitable. 

#3 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2013 - 11:20 AM

I guess.

But to have a tank of 10 plus at the price there asking that I can assure have been in the tank for well over a year already, wouldn't you want to think a store would just want tank space and money?

#4 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 09 October 2013 - 12:00 PM

I think large clown loaches are a bargain if they are $50 each. They take a long time to grow to that size. The really big clown loaches that I see at Fish Shops are usually priced at more than $50 each 

#5 Stuey

Stuey
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:24 PM

i was going to say my at my LFS they have adults that are nearer the $100 mark. Maybe if you ask your shop they might do you a deal on a group? 

#6 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2013 - 01:37 PM

yeah I agree.

$50 im talking 15cm ones. im after decent ones, remember there are recorded lengths of up to 35cm (so I have read) in clown loaches, im sure not many in captivity that size.

Im trying to understand why a 20cm one is over $100 and little ones a mere $8 or so. What demands such a significant price jump in size.

Especially given the number of large ones available at most LFS.

#7 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:09 PM

Relatively slow growing. Most juveniles are sold to inexperiences aquarists with small tanks and bad husbandry, meaning most die, or grow even slower. Meaning that there are far fewer large loaches than you would expect.

Like anything search around, and be patient and something will come up. REALLY big loaches are a great site.

Look up the clown loach "large marge"

#8 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2013 - 02:41 PM

Paul at morley has a nice 20cm clown in his big display tanks, but the poor guy had a run in with a bigger fish and got a lil beaten up, incredible to see one that size tho!

#9 jeffblack

jeffblack
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:18 PM

I think I payed 40 each for my big loaches and that was 10 years ago. I had no objections paying that because they were cool as to look at.

Never bred though, but I hear that's not unusual in tank specimens.

#10 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 October 2013 - 03:41 PM

as far as i know, most species of loach can only be bred with hormone treatments, so its done en mass in asia etc, there have been rare circumstances of chain loaches breeding etc but its not common

#11 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2013 - 12:24 AM

gonna burst a couple bubbles here....

if you have a large clown loach wouldnt you like to keep it.. imagine the cone snail reduction potential... eat 10 times more than a small loach... and we all know how unloved the cone snail is!!! :)

clown loaches have been bred in captivity right here in WA... long time ago by a mate... but apart from the nostalgia associated with it why would you bother they are imported very cheaply in large numbers and sell cheap in local fishops too... 

#12 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2013 - 09:55 AM

I have a bad infestation of little round snails that are kind of flat, never seen them before. I chucked in a yo yo loach the other day but he's not doing much, do you think a clown loach will clean these guys up? They are eating all my plants and I'm not happy about it.

#13 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 10 October 2013 - 10:23 AM

i had a small clown loach that used to swim around the tank with mts shells hanging off his mouth

I wish I got a photo

#14 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2013 - 12:42 AM

shane try putting a goldfish in the tank around 10cm+ will eat them out of existence... and may eat some of your plants too :)

#15 Shane-o88

Shane-o88
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2013 - 06:14 AM

Cheers johnno, I will do that today and keep an eye on it. Slammed my hand in the door so I have all weekend to monitor the tanks. Manually removed a heap of the little buggers last night.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users