Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

My First Cat Spawn - Royal Whiptails....

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Hooked

Hooked
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:26 AM

Hi gang,

It's my first cat spawn. I bought a pair of Royal Whiptails a while back and finally i'm having a go at breeding them. I'm about 5 days in after they have hatched out. They had about 150 eggs and a few were knocked down over the first week before hatching. About 120 hatched out and after 5 days I've lost about 10 at a guess. I'm just using a cheap fry saver at the moment  but looking into getting something bigger/better. Not sure what is out there as have been mainly into Discus and have not had a need for fry savers as the parents do the raising.

They are just starting to actively feed as of today it seems. Heaps more movement and spreading out. Any advice on feeding or just general care regime, tips that works for you, what to look out for, would be much appreciated,

Cheers

Attached Files

#2 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2013 - 07:33 AM

i havet had much luck keeping whiptails in a fry saver so i just setup a tank for them to grow up with the parents, tho i do know whiptail fry have a very low chance of success, i beliueve johno said sometimes youll get 5 survive sometimes you get 30, but they usually dont have a huge survival rate

#3 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2013 - 12:30 PM

i think you should grab a small tank and set that up...much easier to clean and feed...throw a sponge filter in there and a heater...all up maybe $70-$90 to set up but if you keep them alive it will be money well spent.

#4 Hooked

Hooked
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2013 - 11:04 PM

Hi Bermont, Hi silverscreen,

Ive only got my 200lt spawning tank that I used for my Discus set up and free at the moment. I've got the cat mum and dad in the bare bottom with a piece of hard wood - drift wood. As I'm new to these tiny, lazy feeding fry, I figured if I have a 200lt tank and do daily vaccing and small water changes with aged water then if I stuff up somehow and change the parameters then less chance of upsetting them than if they were in a small tank? Ive been using a rain/tap mix lately and going back to more tap now as getting less rain, getting ready for summer. Still havnt got my acid amount right for the new brew down here, slowly adding more as the tap water here is really buffering it back to alkaline. Just taking it slow.

I'm hoping the fry saver keeps them close to the food? 

I'm looking around for some extra grow out tanks. Not much available second hand. If I spend too much too quick I show up on the financial controllers radar. Not a good place to be : )

Cheers for the advice guys,

#5 shep

shep
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 October 2013 - 07:10 AM

I wouldn't worry too much about separating the young from the parents . They don't seem to bother each other.
I leave mine in to grow up with the adults and they do fine. They eat sera flora and I suppose a bit of wood .
it is great to see a tank full of royal whiptails bouncing around at feed time.
There is well over 100 in a 4ft tank ranging from new hatched to 7cm and the adults . I soon realised they do a lot better when I just leave them alone .
good luck.

#6 Hooked

Hooked
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 October 2013 - 10:53 PM

Hi Colin,

Thank you mate. Will definitely keep that in mind. I'm wanting to change out the Whips parents after another spawn and put in a nice Discus pair that have been laying in the community tank. Hoping for a nice batch of discus fry to grow out alongside the whips fry in separate tanks. I'm on the hunt for some second hand tanks but slim pickings on Gumtree down here. Will end up with a tank for the whips parents and whips fry most probably in together. Was thinking the adults might compete with the fry for food? Yours must do okay though all in together?

Cheers 

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users