Black Bream

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 harmaa03

harmaa03
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 July 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hey everyone,

Out of interest - who has kept black bream Acanthopagrus butcheri before in the aquaria?

I have read they can withstand freshwater if gradually grown into... but prefer brackish conditions

Was interested in their requirements, etc

Would a standard 4ft setup be sufficient to house juvies.... i believe they are quite slow growers...

And what suitable additions to the tank would not be eaten if any....

Any tips on setup, and maintenance would be great

Cheers

#2 tran4m3r

tran4m3r
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 July 2008 - 04:27 PM

hey man

are u talking about catching bream and putting into a tank? or are u just talking about buying one from the LFS and putting it into your tank

they are pretty slow growers man.. even in the wild a 35cm bream would take arnd 25 years to grow! (told by other fello fishos, thats why i put em back after i catch em)

i had a some small ones when they where small.. but one day got eaten by my catfishes hahaah...

i have a few mates that have bream and they say they dont require much, but dont qoute me on that! biggrin.gif

#3 harmaa03

harmaa03
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2008 - 01:00 PM

Hey,

Would be purchasing through golden ponds on mundijong rd. These are aquaculture bred!!
Would never take a wild specimen - just not right

Yeah i believe they are really slow growers.. but an interesting species

Was worried about what sizes to put in etc...

cheers for info.

#4 tran4m3r

tran4m3r
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 July 2008 - 09:06 PM

QUOTE (harmaa03 @ Jul 22 2008, 01:00 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey,

Would be purchasing through golden ponds on mundijong rd. These are aquaculture bred!!
Would never take a wild specimen - just not right

Yeah i believe they are really slow growers.. but an interesting species

Was worried about what sizes to put in etc...

cheers for info.

put it this way

my mate gots his 10-15cm bream in a 8x3x3 i think , and its got some big arse monsters like two big giant gouramis , p.bass, some angry cichlids and shit.. and its pretty happy in there.

i plan to go down to golden ponds some time soon to fish for a barra... which i found out recently LOL!

i think golden ponds would be more then happy to help out.. i sent them a email the other day and replied straight away

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users