Bristlenose Antics

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Brett4Perth

Brett4Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 December 2003 - 04:35 AM

Have to luv those bristlenose.:good

Today I tossed a slice of cucumber into there tank without blanching it. It floated as usual, but the male bristley was not pleased.></span>: Up to the surface he would go and drag it down to the bottom.

Enter stage right ... the female bristlenose, to get her share. Male would chase her away, but in doing so let go of the cucumber and it would float straight back to the top.

Round and round they went. Drag it down ... chase her away ... drag it down ... chase her away. What a hoot. :rollin
More fun than the Three Stooges (now I am showing my age):b

Watch out, I am armed!!

Brett

Edited by: Brett4Perth at: 12/18/03 8:40 pm

#2 ethicalfive

ethicalfive
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 December 2003 - 09:55 AM

Hehe. They can be funny.. I remember once though smashing a tank full of bristlenose babys grabbing the nearest syphon tube.. the damn things wouldnt let go of stuff... taking each one out by sucking on the tube till they were halfway along the tube.. Now pitcure this with water spraying out of the front panel all over me. To make things worse, i was preparing it for spawning danio's and had layed marbles on the bottem.. Just say it hurts when you almost swallow a marble sucked down a sypon tube..

Ah well, in then end i saved them all :) now when i look back, i'd say that was some bristlenose antics n a half tongue.gif

SamuelJPorter

#3 SiF n00b

SiF n00b
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2004 - 07:38 AM

dude, is htat a gold nugget pleco or a bristlenose :S???

#4 BT

BT
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 January 2004 - 12:44 PM

Heya

Hmm, nice colours. Doesnt look like a Baryancistrus. If you look closer it has the bristles on the cheek...
Possibly Ancistrus sp. (L089). Dolichopterus variation?

Colouring is very similar to the Gold Nugget though. Not that this means anything because quite a few of the undescribed ancistrus (esp Ancistrinae) share the colouration (and shape.)

It would be nice to see more of the fish. Any chance of seeing another photo Brett?

Regards

BT

#5 Brett4Perth

Brett4Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2004 - 05:11 AM

Hello BT,

Sounds like you know your catties.:good

This is a photo of my "common" bristlenose, which have been bred in Aus for many years now. I am not sure that the scientific name is definately established, there has been some debate. Here is a thread from a while back. There have been similar treads on other boards over the last few years.

Would be interested in your views on what our "common" bristlenoses are?

Brett

#6 BT

BT
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 January 2004 - 11:16 AM

Heya

Brett, I think that many of the suggestions in the "stupid question... but" thread are valid.

I would agree that the possibility of hybrid / cross breed is strong, as well as the matter of speciation / "aquarium syndrome" through limited genes. I lean more on the later than the former, though while I have never crossed two different bristlenose's I believe that taxonomically these fish are similar enough to reproduce.

I think too many other questions have to be answered to really understand this question (more of the why, how and what.) However, my bet would lie on temminckii and / or dolichopterus.

I keep temminckii which are very close to the definition of the fish. Too many generations of this fish inter-breeding will give you a similar looking fish to what you know and love as the common BN today. These fish are then long removed from the wild caughts and lose much of their yellow colouration.

From experiences with other fish, this occurs when much interbreeding is allowed...

Points to consider: what description's were originally imported here (or to any location which shows a variation) to begin with? What do other people in other locations call the "common bristlenose" and do they share the same beginnings?.. Only genetic analysis will truly clear this matter up.

Even from the wild, it is questions like these that brought about the creation (and later confusion) of the L and LDA numbers.

ie, Is this catfish really just this one, that has somehow gotten to this river, and then bred with these. Or is it the same species living under different conditions which has meant that these colours allow the fish to adapt and cope better? Is there really enough going on underneath that makes giving the fish a different number, valid? etc.

Your specimen of the common bristlenose is different enough to cause the confusion from the earlier posts in this thread. (Or maybe its just the photo...)

So, I would say that part of the answer is that not all the fish labeled as such are the same "common bristlenose." Which means that it is very unlikely that a scientific definition exists, or at least that will classify the one fish.

You then have to imagine the scenario of my "common" bristlenose from Perth breeding with a "common" bristlenose from somewhere else. These fish may not be imported into Australia very regularly, but how often are (or were?!) they translocated within Australia? From the posts on the forum, I would imagine a lot (if Hoplo's are any indication.)

This is not a strong case if only one or two species were ever imported, but if hybrids slipped in and bred with the fish already here, or a myriad of other possibilities occured, then...

If this is the case, then you would expect from extrapolation that the fish would all be grey - but there you have it...

Its certainly a good (rather than stupid) question, and one that will certainly challenge any who try to clear it up...

Regards

BT

#7 Brett4Perth

Brett4Perth
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 January 2004 - 01:35 AM

Thanks for your thoughts BT,

I agree with your comments, but am pessimistic about ever getting a definitive answer, even with genetic testing. Too much water under the bridge. These catties have been in Aus for over 30 years and bred by thousands of people.

I am not even sure that the "species" is that relavent but was interested in your views.

As for this specimen, it looks just like all the other "common" bristlenoses in the shops,etc. I suspect some of the color variation is artifact. Different flash/ camera settings/ development or in this case digital image manipulation can result in subtle or even extreme color rendition errors. You can understand why taxonomists shy away from using color variations to identify animals, even good quality photographs under natural light can be misleading.

I happen to like bristlenose because they are interesting and have heaps of personality. I suspect this is why they remain a perennial favorite.

Cheers
Brett

#8 ethicalfive

ethicalfive
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 January 2004 - 12:24 AM

I didnt realise at the time, but yesterday I was watching one of my bristle noses darting to the top, grabbing a gulp of ear then swimming back down to the bottem, where he'd sit for ~30 seconds before the bubbles escaped, then he'd dart back up with the bubbles and grab another gulp, only to repeat himself. But anyways, I didnt realise my filter was gunked up, and there was no water movement, so they wernt getting any oxygen.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users