L Number Catfish

• Please log in to reply
25 replies to this topic

#21 rwillox

rwillox
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2009 - 04:38 PM

QUOTE (anthony-dwarfc @ Feb 25 2009, 04:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
yer i have done some research on them and no that if they die or anything it would suk!!
but i know wich ones that i will get but 1 question.
i couldnt find this one
At What size can u sex the L104 and how do u tell?
Cheers

Anthony

7-8cm I would say. Can't be certain as I have not had any 104's in a long time. The ones they have at Midland are still to small to give an accurate sex. When they get around that size put a D-Shape cave or two in and the males will normally go into them and stay (fyi this is not a perfect system). Can try it earlier but I have found when the fish are still small both males and females hide in there.

The males will have odontodes - especially noticeable when they are ready to breed. Females will also be fatter.

Ross

#22 (Anthony)

(Anthony)
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:05 PM

ok thanks for that.
Is there any sign that u can try remember to sex them so that wen i pik out two of them i could try look for them. Or will they have some tiny odontodes.
Cheers

Anthony,

#23 rwillox

rwillox
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2009 - 05:12 PM

At the smaller size no, all I know is what I mentioned in the last post when it comes to adults. I will likely be down at Midland tomorrow and will try and remember to take a look at them but I doubt any indication to sex them.

Could go for one that looks bigger/fatter in the hope the hope it will be a female and then do the opposite for a male. By no means an accurate guess as could just be fatter from eating but best bet I can give.

Ross

#24 (Anthony)

(Anthony)
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2009 - 07:24 PM

Ok
thanks for that anyway, but if u remember try have a look and tell Az wat is in there if u can and yer.
thanks anyway

Anthony,

#25 47Ronin

47Ronin
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 February 2009 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE (anthony-dwarfc @ Feb 25 2009, 05:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
ok thanks for that.
Is there any sign that u can try remember to sex them so that wen i pik out two of them i could try look for them. Or will they have some tiny odontodes.
Cheers

Anthony,

Try head shape its the most noticible difference when smaller. Most females the head is shorter and not so wide and the males head is normally wider and longer. The differences won't be huge if the fish are small but catch them all out and put them in a container and look from above you should be able to pick two that have differences.

#26 (Anthony)

(Anthony)
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 February 2009 - 03:27 PM

Ok thanks alot for that.
Cheers

Anthony,

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users