Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

What Are The Best Foods To Feed Your B/n ?

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#21 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 04:57 PM

Hey Johnno

That frozen stuff you gave me, works a treat!! my albino and commons LOVE IT, its eaten much much more quicker then the wafers.....

you got that stuff from aquottix right? what was the price if you remember? hopefully some one NOR will start stocking it!!!

brett

#22 scotty81

scotty81
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 March 2011 - 07:30 PM

My common and Bristle nose just eat the NLS pellets I feed my cichlids, is that bad??? Or should I be feeding them something else??? Just not sure the other food would reach the bottom

#23 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2011 - 12:22 AM

QUOTE (terboz123 @ Mar 13 2011, 04:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hey Johnno

That frozen stuff you gave me, works a treat!! my albino and commons LOVE IT, its eaten much much more quicker then the wafers.....

you got that stuff from aquottix right? what was the price if you remember? hopefully some one NOR will start stocking it!!!

brett

i was at aquotix on the weekend... if i remember correctly its only 5 bucks a pack.... gives you 7 x 5 = 35 cubes... around 14 cents a cube.....
worth hitting the freeway and get off at roe hwy and then right onto willeri drive then left onto bannister... about 5-6 shops up on right hand side.... cant miss them... take sum extra cash cause you'll see something else you may want....

QUOTE (scotty81 @ Mar 13 2011, 07:30 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
My common and Bristle nose just eat the NLS pellets I feed my cichlids, is that bad??? Or should I be feeding them something else??? Just not sure the other food would reach the bottom

as long as the b/n get some greenage off your tanks glass.... and some wood to chew on would help too... maybe stick some zucchinni on a fork(to sink it to the bottom) for them to chew on...

#24 GrahamnMary

GrahamnMary
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2011 - 05:42 PM

I put a hole zuchinni with ends cut off
in with around 70-80 albino bn fry
2days later it was hollow just skin left
like little eating machines. cool.gif

Edited by GrahamnMary, 14 March 2011 - 05:42 PM.

#25 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:02 PM

Mine wont eat wafers. Mainly get pumpkin, zuccini and NLS.

#26 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:09 PM

depends on the brand of wafers..... and whether they are hungry...

#27 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:40 PM

QUOTE (GrahamnMary @ Mar 14 2011, 05:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I put a hole zuchinni with ends cut off
in with around 70-80 albino bn fry
2days later it was hollow just skin left
like little eating machines. cool.gif

i grow my own zucchinnis and have had them 50cm long and a diameter of about 15cm.... takes 3 forks to hold one half , cut longways , down to the bottom of the tank.....
took 4-500 b/n 3 days to completely strip it to shreds... adults tend to have a good chew on the skin also....

#28 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2011 - 01:44 PM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Mar 14 2011, 10:09 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
depends on the brand of wafers..... and whether they are hungry...

I've tried wardleys and NLS wafers so far. No deal on both of them, but they will eagerly devour zuccini and nls cichlid formula as soon as it hits the bottom.

#29 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 March 2011 - 08:50 PM

Have you tried HBH Wafers? I get the same information from customers... Ive tried to change the wafers we sell... but everyone insists on the HBH wafers, so I have to keep them in stock....

#30 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:34 PM

Mr Doc Fish.....

recently i was up bigjohnnos way and he gave some of these frozen vege cubes...They worked a treet and thought id some how get to aquottix , which i did today, i bought the 5 packs for 19.99.....

Now these dont seem to sink they just float,

ive tried defrosting them a little and putting them , and even placing them under logs but they still rise

am i doing something wrong here ?

brett

#31 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 15 March 2011 - 09:52 PM

Sorry Bret - but just like Ice blocks float, so will frozen food (same as brine shrimp and blood worms).... until they are de-frosted 100%..... try popping them out onto a dish and wait for a few minutes before dropping into the aquarium.

#32 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 March 2011 - 10:24 PM

thanks doc fish

will attermp that tomorrow....

rather funnny watching the adults jumping up to the surface and the fry are folllowing!!!! bn are jus tso much fun to watch hahaha

Edited by terboz123, 15 March 2011 - 10:35 PM.

#33 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2011 - 12:04 AM

i wonder if its got something to do with the water quality... as they sink in about 5 secs when i drop frozen cubes in... and the same b/n come to the top for it... cant wait to wrap their lips around it... almost like a race mate.... last one up gets seconds!!!!!

#34 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 16 March 2011 - 06:17 PM

water parameters are all okay buddy i test weekly my self..... unsure i tried defrosting them today, again didnt sink thought i wedged them under some wood and they are staying there...

Johnno the wierd thing is the ones you gave me sank as well in my tanks.....

These are a much darker colour compared to yours and possibly no carrot.......(not orange bits in cube) and no they are not the ocean onces,the staff at aquottix acutelly picked them out for me and i double checked they are for freshwater, and not the seewater ones.

#35 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 16 March 2011 - 09:16 PM

Each batch is slightly different - might be the ones you have are either more aerated or contain something that is more buoyant.... bring them back in for a change to a different batch if we have any others....

#36 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2011 - 02:56 AM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Mar 16 2011, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Each batch is slightly different - might be the ones you have are either more aerated or contain something that is more buoyant.... bring them back in for a change to a different batch if we have any others....

thats weird... maybe gremlins !!!!

#37 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 March 2011 - 05:49 AM

when i can next get to aquottix i will, or ill just suss out ways to hide them around the tanks....working in kwinana, then home to floreat then back to canning vales bewteen 3 n 5 pm sounds hard!

possibly this weekend when i head up to johnnos to get some whipsss

#38 spendy

spendy
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2011 - 09:18 PM

cool..

Edited by spendy, 25 May 2011 - 10:56 PM.

#39 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2011 - 11:49 PM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Mar 15 2011, 11:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Have you tried HBH Wafers? I get the same information from customers... Ive tried to change the wafers we sell... but everyone insists on the HBH wafers, so I have to keep them in stock....

Because there the best, everything loves them in my tank and i've tried the others (nls, wardley,hikari).I believe it's the ingredients HBH has more variety spirulina,alfalf,pea powder, shrimp meal, carrot, spinach, kelp just to name a few. The other brands are pretty much the same fish meal,wheat flour,wheat germ, starch with krill and spirulina a long way down the list.cheers steve

#40 JonW

JonW
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 August 2011 - 04:55 PM

So Johno,
What was the outcome of this? Was there any noticable difference in the health of the fish and there reproducing habits?
These vege cubes, are they just par boiled veges mushed up and put in a cube and frozen, or are they raw?
In saying that though, if they're 14c a cube, then it'd be easier to just buy them than do them urself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users