Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Availability of Tropheus (and other questions)

• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:17 AM

Hey, I am planning on setting up a Tropheus tank soon and I'm wondering what species are available in Perth, and also at what price. I'd like to start up the colony at juvenile size and watch them grow (how fast do they grow?). I'm looking for species that will cost under $50 per juvenile fish, also I don't want debiosi as I don't find them very attractive...

I think I noticed they are on the list of fish that we can import, is that correct?

So basicaly I'd like to know what species we can get, and at what approximate price for juvinile fish.

#2 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:20 AM

Oh yeh, I take it a 72"x14"x18" is only large enough to hold one species, am I correct?

And how large do tropheus actually grow?

#3 Kimbo

Kimbo
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 04:43 AM

have u checked out steve aka bengaboys site? its got calculators to work all that out

#4 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:16 AM

Tropheus get to 13-15cm(max)

In a Tank it is Ideal to have 1 species of fish. This is even more often the prefferance with Tropheus.
Numbers are the biggest issue with Tropheus. Get 15 and you will have less problems(generally) than if you have 8.
Fifteen is the best number...Steves Site is excelent and full of Tropheus info that has been compiled with much personal effort and tears. :eek
The tank you have described will do the job. However, the surface area is the most important factor, IMO, so if you can see your way clear to get a 5x2 or 6x2 you will be happier.

I was sorely tempted not to answer after you "bagged" my lovely duboisi :\ ...but then I figured You would come around to the Dark(& spotty) side sooner or L8R. :rollin

Ikola(K1) Chimba, K2's, Kasanga Red Rainbows, Ilangi, Bemba Reds and a lot of others are around and you can import all Tropheus spp. so you can get anything you want for the right money.
However, Tropheus are not to be entered into lightly and it is not a species that are as forgiving as Mbuna, Haps and many other Tangs. This is not to say they are not worth the extra effort, coz they clearly are, but just to ask/advise you to read as much as you can B4 ya get them.

HTH

#5 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:46 AM

Yeh, I've checked out Steve's site, it was very good.

Mazimbwe, sorry if I offended you about the deboisi, I just meant they weren't what I was looking for. But now I think about it more I might consider them, and who can resist those little speckled juveniles.

I have been deciding between Tropheus vs a tang community (of shellies, cyps, julies etc.) for this tank for a long time now and I still can't decide! Because of this I can assure you I have read LOTS on Tropheus, and I will continue to read more.

Can anyone say anything to tip me either way on this one? The tropheus are tempting because they are an interesting species, quite active, adn I think visitors would apprieciate them much more. On the other hand I like the idea of having lots of differant sorts of fish in a Tang community, and I'd love to see how my Occies will behave when I put them into a 6 foot tank!

I hope I can eventually come to some sort of conclusion on this, its too hard a decision!

(there is always the easy solution of simply purchasing another tank, but of course I'm trying to refrain from doing that at all costs)

#6 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 06:32 AM

It isn't hard to find other tankmates for the Tropheus if you wanna go that way...just takes a bit of planning, trial & patience.
Ther is no reason that you can't set up the Tank as a starter comm tank.
You put in the occis the Juli's and the Cyps' give em 3-4weeks to get comfy. Then add the Tropheus all 15 at once.

The draw-backs may be that you see no breeding results from any of the fish for many reasons.
I have duboisi and Cyp's together and they are fine together...but I am sure the duboisi are snacking on lepto's. :\

#7 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 07:49 AM

Yeh, if I go the tang community I wanna include my occies, which I'm sure the tropheus would eat or beat up, if I don't go a community with occies I will just go straight tropheus...

The only thing I'm worried about with the community is I've never seen a decent tang community like this set up before so I'm not sure how good it will be.

#8 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:25 PM

Hi,
Why don't you talk to Vincent (mtyche) and see if he will allow you to have a look at his tang community tank. I was quite amazed that all the species that he has in there work so well together. Apart from the odd "yellow", the biotope is quite authenitic and very appealing. Amongst others, and from memory, he had N. brevis, N. multifasciatus, C. furcifer and P. nigripinnis all living without problems. Definately worth a look if you can wrangle it:good .

merjo

#9 mrgreen

mrgreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:46 PM

go the tropheous !!!!!!!!!!! and immediately become HARDC0R3
i still get mesmerised wen i look into a dynamic tank full of tropheous , there is always something happening , and with tang's why risk a community set up wen there already fickle to breed at the best of times
ditch the community tank idea , thats for kids
steve green

#10 chuckmeister

chuckmeister
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:51 PM

:lol Maz is going to tell you off about the way you spell his favourite fish Steve!!! I've been told off.... THERES NO 'O' IN TROPHEUS :lol

#11 xinguinsis

xinguinsis
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 05:56 PM

If your after cheap juveniles I've got some moliros and ikolas you can call me on 0439304006
Regards Chris

#12 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 08:22 PM

Hmm...look, I don't wanna try to sell you my fish. :\

Truth is the occies will be fine in a Tropheus tank...trouble is their diet will not be as perfect as it could be But they will do fine and will not be bothered by the T's.
I have housed the two species together ans you just need to ensure that there is enought ime to establish the occies and you should not introduce adult T's into the equation. Youngsters will learn to live with the Occies.

HTH

p.s. Thanx Chuck!! :rollin

Edited by: Mazimbwe  at: 4/17/04 12:23 pm

#13 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 April 2004 - 10:28 PM

Thanks for all the replies guys.

I spose I can put my occies into the 6' for a few weeks (how long do you think?) then introduce the Tropheus and see how they get along, and if they don't I can just swap the occies back to the 3'

One thing I'm worried about in the tang community is whether the cyps will look any good, cause whenever I see them at lfs they look really dodgy and they're damn expensive too. If I set up the community I want to have heaps of cyps schooling with at least a couple looking as good as some pics on the net...

Looking at the Tropheus, theres so many varietys I'm finding it hard to decide what to get. It might be best to get Deboisi since they are supposedly the easiest, but I really like the look of many of the others and once I choose one I'm gonna be stuck with them for a long time. Anyone got any advice on how to choose?

Maybe if I just go by what is readily available and looks pretty?

Edited by: eX024 at: 4/17/04 2:39 pm

#14 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:09 AM

Will a single Eheim 2226 be enough filtration for Tropheus in my tank? (72"x14"x18")

I am considering setting up a sump, its just a bit annoying to get a hole drilled, but I suppose the best time to do it is when I'm changing the fish over. I already have a spare aquarium and a pump (2700lph I think it does) to use for one.

Any recommendations here? (if I just need to set up a second cannister filter or something, that might be easier, but I suppose I shouldn't pass up a chance to set up a sump...)

#15 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2004 - 12:18 AM

Quote:
I'm wondering what species are available in Perth, and also at what price. ... I'm looking for species that will cost under $50 per juvenile fish...

as said all are importable but some are hard to source.
there is a good variety in Perth, Duboisi being the most common and therefore one of the cheapest
for under $50ea you should be able to find in Perth Duboisi, Ikola, Bemba, Moliro, Bulu Pt without looking too hard... others would probably be more expensive than $50ea and a bit harder to find.

Steve

Visit my site: Steves Tropheus

#16 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:10 PM

Quote:
once I choose one I'm gonna be stuck with them
...not really the way you will feel about them tho, I hope. :eek

They are a very rewarding Genus of fish and you will never feel like you are stuck with them, I can assure you. ;) More likely is that you will want to get another Tank for the next species of T's that you want...trust me!!:\ 8)

#17 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:34 PM

Haha, thats what I'm trying to avoid, and hopefully if I get a species that I love the first time it will reduce my chances of getting another tank because I will think I already have the best fish around.

I'm setting up that tank when I move back in with my parents and theres no way they'll be letting my set up another tank there, and even when I move back out at the end of 2005 I'll have to convince my girlfriend to let me have another tank and she'll be even harder to convince than my parents!

Edited by: eX024 at: 4/18/04 1:36 pm

#18 Mazimbwe

Mazimbwe
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 April 2004 - 09:58 PM

Your Tropheus will be with you longer than your G/F...swap her for another tank and you'll be even happier!!!! JK :lol

Sumps are the best filtration you can get...if you can see you way clear to getting your set-up working with one it is well worth it.

As far as the species that you will be so happy with you will never want another one...let me know what it is when/if ya find it. :rollin :rollin
I have Ikola(K1) and duboisi(Maswa) Both are great groups that I would/could not be without now...but the Ilangi's do it for me and there are so many others that I would love to keep. Some of the Purple & Red Tropheus species are just the Bomb...There are more species that I would like to have than I would have room to keep EVER.

#19 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:48 AM

Ok, I'm about 70% sure I'm gonna get some sort of Tropheus Deboisi for that tank now.

I was just wondering about the deboisi variants (is variant the correct term?), I notice some lfs they sell them as just "Tropheus Deboisi", I assume I should be making sure I get some that I am sure of what variant they are... I'm just wondering is this a common thing for people to do, or do most specify what type they are?

I noticed on Cichlid-forum in the gallery they have "bemba", "karilani" and "maswa" listed, but there is only one picture (or two) of the karilani and the only bemba pics are of juvies. Does anyone know a site or have pictures that can show me the differance between the adults of these? Is the differance the width and colour of the bar? Also are there any other variants of deboisi available? And is the differance between these variants only how they look, or is it differant personalities too?

Another thing is I will be wanting to have lots of green algea in the tank for them to graze on, at the moment I have one 30W light and another 20W (I think it is), I don't think be enough light for the tank so I plan on getting more. What will be acceptable for lighting for the 6 foot tank? a four foot double? a six foot double?

thanks
(sorry for overflowing this one with questions :lol )

#20 eX024

eX024
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2004 - 07:56 AM

just when you thought I couldn't ask anything else...

...what about including differant bloodlines in the colony, I assume if I buy all the fish from the one source they are probably from they same spawn and then if they breed it will be imbreeding??? So should I be trying to purchase fish from as many differant sources as possble?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users