New Monthly Topic Ideas

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 09 October 2017 - 04:05 PM

Hi guys and girls, members and non-members!

Is there a particular subject you don't feel too confident about and would like to know more?

Or would you like to learn more about a certain type of cichlids, or some particular type of plumbing?

We are seeking some ideas for our monthly meetings - DIY, Speech, presentation, cichlid bingo, etc... - any suggestion (aquarium related!) is welcome! It DOES NOT have to be cichlid related :)

We already have few ideas for the next few meetings, but it would be great to hear suggestions from anyone who comes to the regular meetings or that is planning to!

Feel free to write your suggestions on here, or PM me if you are feeling shy ;)

Cheers

Mattia

#2 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 09 October 2017 - 07:02 PM

Cool cichlids you can afford using your lunch money ;)

#3 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:42 AM

I’d love to see the Society have a focus on the use and accuracy of test kits in the hobby.  Perhaps a discussion on the important aspects to ensure you can get best results, but also an experiment where members bring along some test kits in their possession, say ammonia and nitrate, and try using them with a test solution of known concentration. Ideal if it involved kits of different brands, different ages, and even out of date kits. 

I suggest it may be a bit of an eye-opener for some as to how well these kits work in the real world – sitting in people’s cupboards, and being used by hobbyists.

Here’s a similar exercise conducted by a marine group. 

http://www.advanceda...012/6/chemistry

I’d be happy to help with some ideas of how to set up an experiment

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 10 October 2017 - 08:49 AM

I’d love to see the Society have a focus on the use and accuracy of test kits in the hobby.  Perhaps a discussion on the important aspects to ensure you can get best results, but also an experiment where members bring along some test kits in their possession, say ammonia and nitrate, and try using them with a test solution of known concentration. Ideal if it involved kits of different brands, different ages, and even out of date kits. 

I suggest it may be a bit of an eye-opener for some as to how well these kits work in the real world – sitting in people’s cupboards, and being used by hobbyists.

I’d love to do this as well (I know it sounds boring but think it would be actually interesting on the night).

I would think though it would take a few people to prepare, organise and run.

(I’ve run out of time again but have been intending to buy a nitrate standard to check the CheMETs test (which I have been using to verify the hobby tests) and then eventually I want to get some water tests run through a lab, which we previously did on bore water).

#5 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2017 - 09:56 AM

Maybe a few presentations including photos, instruction and lessons learned by members that have some good setups. Cover a few different setups:

- Multi-system on a rack.

- Single tank with sump.

- Air driven filtration system off a ring main.

- Insulation and heating/cooling setups.

- Auto water change, etc.

#6 Stormfyre

Stormfyre

Sausage enthusiast

• Admin

Posted 10 October 2017 - 06:07 PM

This is great. That is going on the list for sure. 

#7 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 10 October 2017 - 11:11 PM

As soon as I read test kits I thought Craig would be up for that. Know you too well

What about discussion on a Biotope setup from different regions, and then list what is able to be sourced from Perth if a hobbyist was to create an accurate Biotope? Done in a PowerPoint slideshow with pictures to show stuff like fish, plants, decor, substrate, and what a tank would look like if set up like in nature?

Can the sponsor liaison speak to sponsors about offering a special deal for those that attend meetings? A voucher to use towards something like a special discount on Vitalis or NLS foods, but you only get the voucher by attending the meeting. Not a topic, but will encourage attending meetings.

Can one of the mature aged members do a talk on the history of the fish hobby in Perth? If they have photos of cool old fish and setups they had back in the day, and what they’re doing in the hobby now?

And remember the water change pvc hose attachment that riggers made? Someone could get all the parts, glue etc from Bunnings and do a step by step build for one (or more) and raffle off the finished product for SGCF at a meeting. Make it a hands on DIY night like the meeting which had glass drilling demonstrations.

#8 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2017 - 02:28 AM

Cool cichlids you can afford using your lunch money ;)

Alright for you.... heard about the size of your lunch....

#9 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2017 - 09:31 AM

What if some of the sponsor shops where to host a meeting at their store and run over a day/day basics of running a fish shop? Always thought that would be cool, then can run through the store and show how it all works for them etc?

#10 Lewy71

Lewy71
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2017 - 06:19 PM

How about a session on larger Malawi predator cichlids (Malawi hawks, trout, eye biters, sand divers, nimbos, vc10s, etc) - a lot of these species are becoming scarce, so hopefully a preso might encourage interest in breeding these types.
Also would be interested in a preso on quarantine /importing rules & which species have been lost to the Aussie aquarium hobby.

Sent from my A1601 using Tapatalk

Edited by Lewy71, 11 October 2017 - 06:47 PM.

#11 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 12 October 2017 - 09:18 AM

Great ideas so far guys! Keep'em coming :P

#12 sajica

sajica

Quiz Meister 2016 & 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 12 October 2017 - 01:01 PM

I'm a sucker for Biotope aquariums but how about some sort of Rift Lake Aquascaping discussion from 3 people that have actually been to one of the lakes? Like an open forum discussion chat, photos, questions from the audience.

#13 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 October 2017 - 01:24 AM

How about some water chemistry and educating people to keep pristine water quality and parameters.... then your fish will hardly ever succumb to disease or infections...and a bonus your fish might breed too.. some people still have no idea what kh is and how it effects your water and fish survival.... how to look after your beneficial bacteria better....

#14 chrishaigh82

chrishaigh82
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 13 October 2017 - 09:51 PM

Also would be interested in a preso on quarantine /importing rules & which species have been lost to the Aussie aquarium hobby.

Quarantine would probably have staff that could do that presentation.  It would help members understand the costs and effort associated with getting rare and special specie into the state and stop some of the criticism that comes up when there are imports.

I find it facinating to think of the journey some of our fish have made from swimming free in Tanjanika, scooped and shipped to germany then to us with all the quarantine process.

#15 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 14 October 2017 - 08:28 AM

My father works in international quarantine - it’s possible he might know someone (I think there is a lady with several fish books in state quarantine) or he might be able to present something. Just in case useful.

#16 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2017 - 02:35 AM

Quarantine would probably have staff that could do that presentation.  It would help members understand the costs and effort associated with getting rare and special specie into the state and stop some of the criticism that comes up when there are imports.

In all honesty olley or pacco would know more than quarantine staff...

#17 Chopstick_mike

Chopstick_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 October 2017 - 03:15 PM

How about some water chemistry and educating people to keep pristine water quality and parameters.... then your fish will hardly ever succumb to disease or infections...and a bonus your fish might breed too.. some people still have no idea what kh is and how it effects your water and fish survival.... how to look after your beneficial bacteria better....

totally agree with this subject too many people just think if the fish are living they’re fine and have no idea in what requirements certain species actually need

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users