Photo

Who Can Ship Fish

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#21 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 02:49 AM

Out of interest,what should be done with L's Johnno?

no oxygen at all for 3cm fry.... send up to 20 in a litre of water and 4 litres of air..... 1 drop of prime in water and thats it..... done a couple triple trans shipping and been in the bag for 30 hours and not a problem.... but its a good idea not to feed them 24 hours before shipping too... bigger fish - go less per bag and you can add 50/50 oxy/air mix if you like but most times isnt needed....  

#22 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 June 2014 - 10:00 PM

Just heard from someone in south oz that the return to cheap rates only applies to businesses with accounts or other selected regular business users such as myself. The occasional user may still have to pay the new high rates. Check before going to the airport.
There is a facebook group just started about the issue, not sure what they are calling themselves.

#23 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2014 - 01:34 AM

this is happening australia wide now... just all went down in queensland too... or should i say rates went up.... 

i have an idea but its gonna have to be worked out by someone with authority - pcs should open its own shipping account for its members to use..... :) :) :)  and prob with a small donation made to the club each time you use it too :P

#24 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 June 2014 - 06:05 AM

Interesting idea johnno! That would be an awesome reason to join and remain a member of PCS.

#25 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 09:47 AM

☜(゚ヮ゚☜) That may have merit...

#26 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 June 2014 - 11:43 AM

Excellent idea Johnno, lets do it PCS. However this option should only be used when our sponsers can't help out in getting the species we want.

#27 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2014 - 05:18 PM

I'm keen to see this happen also, after calling AAE and Qantas today for shipping to perth from Sydney they want to charge $350-$560 for a 14kg box.... I really want these fish but don't want to pay the price of the fish again just to get them here.....

Can anyone suggest any ways to get em here without paying through the ass for em?

Cheers rigs

#28 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2014 - 06:15 PM

Other couriers like startrack express?

#29 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 September 2014 - 09:25 PM

I'm not sure mate, I'll give em a bell tomorrow. It's worth a try
I was going back through some old threads and it seems the idea of PCS having a shipping account with someone like AAE was brought up back in 2005 and again now in 2014, is there anything being put forward to committee about it? I think it's really good if we have a way to get some of the rarer breeds here in perth from some of the east coast breeders :)

#30 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:05 AM

Agree, transport costs are going to have a bigger impact on the hobby in wa than the new daff quarantine requirements people are getting antsy about.

Edited by malawiman85, 12 September 2014 - 06:06 AM.

#31 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:26 AM

Ok so update for you all, if you don't have an account with any of the freight companies you'll pay a premium.... I'm going to make some enquiries today about setting up an account

#32 Litheon

Litheon
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2014 - 11:28 AM

At my job we use Courier Australia / Toll Ipec every day. We had to set up a new account a while ago and discuss rates so if you need a contact just shoot me a PM and I can give you his number / email. Its not easy getting past the hurdles of automated phone machines and clueless operators.

edit: pm sent

Edited by Litheon, 12 September 2014 - 11:36 AM.

#33 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:03 PM

Maybe waisting your time,,, there's a minimum expendature required which is quite high.
Mainly large companies in constant use that get accounts.
Toll is more expensive than AAE.

#34 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 12 September 2014 - 12:44 PM

Why not just ask one of your local fish shops if they can organise shipping to their store, then add some coin on top for their time?

So for example, if shipping would cost $400 if you did it, but only $150 for a fish store, then why not just make it $250 to the shop so they get a hunj for their time and effort?

#35 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:36 PM

Ok another update, I can open an account on behalf of the cichlid society if the club has an abn. There's no minimum on amount sent they're just happy if it's a regular thing 4 boxes a month was fine.

I did ask a sponsor store as well but they don't have an account either. If anyone thinks this is a viable move for better shipping would anyone on the committee be willing to work with me on this?

Cheers Rigs

#36 Frontosaman

Frontosaman
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:49 PM

I can facilitate an account you want to pm me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

#37 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2014 - 02:51 PM

A member within pcs may be a tradesman, so their ABN would be fine.
I think maybe AAE has copped so much flack,, they have loosened up now.

Remember though, who ever the ABN number comes from, their address and phone number will be used by fisheries as a contact and premises inspection if there is anything they need to check.
If another member ships,,, then that person with the ABN and contact is the person they'll contact.
Sending fish out is a breeze.
Bringing them in is subject to possible premises inspection.

I think you guys will also find, is that most better, bigger and reputable breeders east already have a account and you will get trade shipping price anyway.

It's more so sending fish out is where you mainly need a account.

#38 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2014 - 03:00 PM

PCS has an ABN:

80 493 263 131

#39 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 September 2014 - 06:57 PM

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, I'm going to try work something out with the committee so everyone is kept in the loop and there are no potential dramas. It may work well the club having an account but we may need an appointed "go to person" for logistical reasons as a contact in case of any problems but so far everything seems legit

Cheers
Rigs :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users