Eheim 2080 Intake Mod

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 October 2017 - 10:34 AM

H guys,

I have two of these running on my 5x2x2. The tank is overstocked and I find the 2080's do a poor job of mechanically filtering the water. I put this down to their small intakes, I find the larger pieces of waste just float right by. I was considering converting the two intakes into one 25/34mm intake which would then split back into the two 16/22mm intakes feeding the filter. Has anyone come across this or think this is a silly idea?

Alternatively I was thinking of swapping out one of the 2080's with an Fx6 or converting to a sump. If I was to down the route of a sump, is drilling the tank whilst it is running not possible too risky?

Cheers,

Peter 

#2 humbug

humbug
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 October 2017 - 02:44 PM

I've used both the FX6 and the 2080, and I suggest that if you swapped to the FX6 you would be very disappointed! 

How have you got the Eheims set up?  What media are you running, and are you using the Eheim white and blue filter pads? 

Edited by humbug, 10 October 2017 - 02:45 PM.

#3 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 October 2017 - 03:31 PM

If converting to a sump is an option you can and are willing to take, then go for it. Cannot compare a properly set up sump to a canister filter, they are worlds apart.

#4 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 16 October 2017 - 06:30 PM

I have combined the two intakes into one 25mm pipe intake. Works well, I need to clean the top coarse filter pad once a month (medium stocked 8x3x3).

#5 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 October 2017 - 06:34 AM

Adding a powerhead style filter that specializes in mechanical filtration beside the canister intake would also improve ability to capture particles.

#6 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 October 2017 - 08:01 PM

Thanks for the replies guys.

I've used both the FX6 and the 2080, and I suggest that if you swapped to the FX6 you would be very disappointed! 

How have you got the Eheims set up?  What media are you running, and are you using the Eheim white and blue filter pads? 

I have all the default media installed with my Eheims including the white and blue pads. Regardless of how often I change the white pad, it doesn't make a difference. Can confirm great flow from both.

If converting to a sump is an option you can and are willing to take, then go for it. Cannot compare a properly set up sump to a canister filter, they are worlds apart.

I wish I had gone down this route to begin with. I purchased a second 2080 to handle the bio load quite a few months ago and could have invested in a DIY sump. Might try setup a smaller tank with a small sump to get the hang of it.

I have combined the two intakes into one 25mm pipe intake. Works well, I need to clean the top coarse filter pad once a month (medium stocked 8x3x3).

Do you mind sharing your details or parts on how you did this? I had a quick look down at a Total Eden and couldn't find anything promising.

Adding a powerhead style filter that specializes in mechanical filtration beside the canister intake would also improve ability to capture particles.

Do you have any quality power heads and sponge setups you would recommend? I have previously had some Ottos and find they can be a bit noisy after a while.

Cheers,

Peter

#7 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:24 AM

Honestly if you could spare $200 or so, an aquael reef circulator 10000 would be my suggestion. 20 watts of silent oxygenation and particle suspension. Combined with good placement of canister intake/outlets, you could get complete water movement that never lets debris rest and instead delivers it to canister intakes + total surface area agitation. Yea its a bit of an investment, but its quality and minimal aesthetic impact.

On the other hand the petworx 2300 internal is shaping up to be a good work horse. Cheap, not too bad on sound and black so tends to blend into background. Can also capture/hold a lot of debris between cleans.

Edited by Ageofaquariums, 20 October 2017 - 07:24 AM.

#8 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 20 October 2017 - 07:12 PM

Hi Peter,

This is how I did it:

Attached File  20171020_190348.jpg   73.51KB   7 downloads

Attached File  20171020_190400.jpg   78.59KB   6 downloads

#9 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 October 2017 - 08:16 PM

Honestly if you could spare $200 or so, an aquael reef circulator 10000 would be my suggestion. 20 watts of silent oxygenation and particle suspension. Combined with good placement of canister intake/outlets, you could get complete water movement that never lets debris rest and instead delivers it to canister intakes + total surface area agitation. Yea its a bit of an investment, but its quality and minimal aesthetic impact.

On the other hand the petworx 2300 internal is shaping up to be a good work horse. Cheap, not too bad on sound and black so tends to blend into background. Can also capture/hold a lot of debris between cleans.

Thanks mate. Already dropped quite a bit on a high end wave maker from you guys. May attempt the intake mod and see how things progress.

Hi Peter,

This is how I did it:

attachicon.gif20171020_190348.jpg

attachicon.gif20171020_190400.jpg

Thanks Tim. That's a lot of plumbing! Has given me some food for thought, thanks again.

#10 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 October 2017 - 07:17 AM

How do you have your inlet/outlets + wavemaker setup? This may be more a case of changing water flow to improve particle capture.

#11 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2017 - 11:06 PM

Sorry for the delayed response and excuse the glass (Hasn't been cleaned in a few months to consume more nitrates).

I mounted my LED light to the ceiling and this has made a huge difference in terms of the appearance of the water polishing. I guess the previously low mounted light and the shadow it created exacerbated the problem.

Purchased the plumbing for the intake today and will post the results when complete.

51y2bFOPtZ8qcO0y1.jpg

Attached Files

#12 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2017 - 07:54 AM

No kidding on the high end wave maker! Vortech is in the house :D

Also have to approve of your placement, both outlets going same direction as the wavemaker AND intakes beneath outlets to take advantage of uplift effect.

Maybe try lifting it up just a little bit? I realise will mean you have to turn it off during water changes if you do....  but might help increase uplift even more.

Overall tho kudos

Edited by Ageofaquariums, 03 November 2017 - 07:55 AM.

#13 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2017 - 10:16 PM

I love the idea of only having the propeller housing in the tank and I paid dearly for it!

Thanks for your feedback. I do 50% water changes so I have to turn it off anyway. Will try it higher and see how we go. In its current position it keeps all the crap from settling amongst the holey rock on the floor, I suspect it will keep doing so with it a bit higher.

#14 Mintox

Mintox
  • Forum Member

Posted 18 January 2018 - 03:36 PM

Thought I would provide an update on this modification. Have both Eheims running this way and I am happy with the results. I do also notice it is easier to prime the filters after cleaning the prefilter and getting them started after a full service. One thing to keep an eye on would be the motor. The water flow is greater so hopefully this isn't causing the motor any issues.

Attached Files

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users