Photo

Keeping Mulloway

• Please log in to reply
46 replies to this topic

#21 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:04 PM

is Peter and Frank letting you buy some of them??? Because i asked Peter for some of the Black Bream and told him i would pay for them but said no.

#22 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:28 PM

No offence and i don't think you will take offence but Black bream have to be the worst aquaculture fish ever!

They are slow growing, territorial, and kill others by starving them. I had 4 then they starved and killed one and even now it is a chore to keep the littlest one fed.

Althought if you want them for fish keeping i would say max 2.

Best fish for aquaculture:

Barramundi (Summer): ($2-$3 a fingerling)
*Grow 500g for every 1kg fed
*Grows large
*Fast growing
*Best tasting fish IMO

Trout: ($3 a fingerling)
*Fast growing
*No heating required
*Taste good
*Beautiful fish to look at

I am very interested in malloway as i have seen there size and interested in not paying $$$ for salt and just going brackish.

Sorry for the off topic :roll: i learn't alot when i was doing work exp biggrin.gif

#23 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:01 PM

no offence taken Nicholas i was only going to have the Bream to help the Aquaculture team find a good make of food formula as we are currently trialing making our own foods

#24 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:11 PM

My brother made his own biggrin.gif It has beef heart, spiralina umm and a heap of stuff in it. Our bream absolutley love it biggrin.gif

You just freeze it and cut of chunks when you need them biggrin.gif

#25 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:14 PM

Here is the link he used:

http://www.calypso.o..._beefheart.html

Sorry for off topic biggrin.gif

#26 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 September 2007 - 10:01 PM

we're currently doing a growth trial on juvenile black bream, they are slow growers like you said but if enough selective breeding was done broodsock could be created that spawn fish that grow 35% faster after 2-3 cycles of selective breeding.

Jeromy

#27 Neakit

Neakit
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 04:07 PM

just another thought, all the mulloway i have ever caught have been in the "surf" area of the beach or about 10 - 15m off the beach. The biggest i have hooked and brought in was about 1300mm and it was 23Kg

#28 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:50 PM

A bit of Challenger tafe talk going on.

I feel sorry for you fellas having to put up with Tony down there. I don't know how I did for a year.

#29 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

lucky me i dont have Tony. What course did you study Peckoltia

#30 NicholasC

NicholasC
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 05:56 PM

I am quite interested in them, just need to know:

*What size you get the fingerling's at and price?
*Their growth rate?
*Diet and foods?
*Salinity levels required?

My brother does aquaponics and i am very interested in a salt based aquaponics system, what corals or plants use up fish waste in marine or even brackish?

I think a IBC container (1000 liters) in conjunction with a grow bed for brackish or even fresh plants that will use up the waste and filter the water. You have then covered filtration and even added a use for the fish waste.
The guy i did work exp with said the number one problem with aquaculture is what to do with the waste. So out of all this 20k liter tanks he would have a small vegetable garden and boy did they grow amazing biggrin.gif

#31 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:39 PM

(Firemouth_32)

cert 3 and diploma of aquaculture.

#32 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:40 PM

what fish larvae did you raise??

#33 Managuense

Managuense
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:45 PM

(Peckoltia)
(Firemouth_32)

cert 3 and diploma of aquaculture.

Nice Peckoltia, currently studying Diploma Marine Studies. Diploma Aquaculture is next.

#34 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 September 2007 - 06:57 PM

(Jeromy_Syndrome)
what fish larvae did you raise??

Yellow Tail Kingies.

#35 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2007 - 12:02 AM

you are sooo lucky there was a legal iussue with those so we couldnt use the larvae so we did black bream then snapper.

Lucky

Jeromy

#36 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:25 AM

It's a bit of a mickey mouse course.I'm now at uni and I doubt that I will ever work in the aquaculture industry.

Gyles is a funny bloke though.

Got to hate the 'field trips' to Gin Gin. More like free labour.

#37 piscevore

piscevore
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:46 AM

(Jeromy_Syndrome)
10cm mulloway 4x2x2 tank i am looking into a 8x3x2.5 or at least a 6x2x2 in 6 months so it should be ok.

And I suppose you will buy a 10x2x2 six months after that?

And then a couple of years down the track you will get a 12X3X3?

Don't kid yourself, these fish are big powerful fish and in the end you will never house one in a tank.

Look at it like this:

the tank must be atleast twice the length of the fish, atleast as wide as the fishes turning circle and about as high as 2/3 the fishes length, as a minimum.

Argyrosomus hololepidotus at a conservative estimate will get 1.5 m long.

This means at a minimum you will eventually need 10 x 5 x 3.

However this is a very powerful fish we are talking about so 10 foot is probably not going to be big enough. If a fish like this decides to dash then it will run out of 10 foot pretty damn quickly. Lets estimate that it dashes at 10 meters/second. This means that roughly the fish would run out of space in less than 1/10th of a second.

assuming the fish dashes for 1 second, to provide enough room for this you will need to give it a minimum of 35 ft (30 ft for the dash plus the length of an adult fish). This is assuming that the fish makes its run from one end to another. If it starts halfway then the tank would need to be closer to 50 ft (so it can dash in either direction from the center). But what if say the fish is 3/4 of the way down the tank and makes a run in the wrong direction?

Say you have a fish that has a weight of forty KG, imagine dropping forty KG from a hight of 1 meter onto your fish tank glass (after 1 meter the object will be travelling just under 10 meters/second, as acceleration due to gravity is 9.81 m/sec/sec). But you still have to take into account the force exerted by the water on the glass. This would be a good simulation of what would happen to the glass if the fish struck it at full speed.

All of this has been conservative estimates:
1. These fish have been reported to 2m in length
2. Swim velocity is probably higher
3. Max weight has been reported at more than 70 KG
4. Turning circle will probably exceed 5 ft

So do you still reckon you could house an adult Mulloway? If you take on this fish when its a juvinile and think you will be able to get rid of it later when its too big for you I hope you realise that nobody will want it.

Yes I do realise that in the aquaculture industry these fish are housed in much more cramped quaters, that being because the aquaculture industry is concerned with making a profit, not the well being of its livestock.

Everybody needs to think carefully before getting tankbusters, as the reality is that a lot of species available just cannot be housed (unless you have lots of $).

#38 piscevore

piscevore
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 11:49 AM

P.S. Argyrosomus hololepidotus is now classified as Argyrosomus japonicus.

See Here:

http://govdocs.aquak...802/8020490.pdf

For more info

#39 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 02:52 PM

I highly dought that in a year a 10cm mulloway will outgrow a 6x2x2, you could say the same thing about barramundi, lots of people have those, I understand that you have to take the fishes growth rate into account aswell.

Again with the whole 50ft tank stuff it would take probably be a decade before it reached 1.5m. It is a natural occuring fish in WA i could release it if it got too big.I could even give it to my tafe for broodstock. they have like 40000L tanks. like all of my aquaria fish they are native to this area.

There are other options to buying a massive tank and I have thought about this. I will be getting one in a couple of weeks when I get my refractometer.

Next time you start taking shots at people think that they may have already thought it through.

Jeromy

#40 muscle-man

muscle-man
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 September 2007 - 03:20 PM

""So do you still reckon you could house an adult Mulloway? If you take on this fish when its a juvinile and think you will be able to get rid of it later when its too big for you I hope you realise that nobody will want it.""

I am sure if you are going to give it away FREE later somebody will gladly accept it.

Or

in worst case scenario.... You can always EAT it! Ummmh ....Yummy Protein! biggrin.gif

I think Jeromy just keep what you like.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users