Photo

Video Of Dovii

• Please log in to reply
45 replies to this topic

#21 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2008 - 08:44 PM

I have found dovii to be alot like people. Some are plain assholes while others are complete wimps!

I have a female at the moment that is more agro then any male i have ever kept. I have seen some BIG wimpy dovii and other little 3"ers that are complete terrors. All comes down to the individual fish.

#22 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:03 PM

Great fish, but who would do that to a fish? Its like getting a pit bull and caging it and then teasing the crap out of it. Tosser in my books.
Dont really care if I offend. Thats just plain stupid. The Pbass we have at work gets so much crap from tosser customers teasing her putting their hands up to make it look like food.

Yes I know Dovii are very agro, but why tease them to make them more agro? Doesnt make sense to me. Plain stupity. Its far from funny.

#23 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2008 - 10:28 PM

I have to agree with Aaron here..

I like this fish for it's personality, but teasing it..is a no no. smile.gif

I've been reading about this fish on the net. According to many owners, it's like a pet dog! Thats what I like about these fish and some others! wink.gif

#24 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 June 2008 - 11:05 PM

it is like a pet dog and you just playin with it its not teasing they like it too, mine shows all her happy colours when she does it if you had your own one you would understand, i never teased her she just started chasin me as i walked past

#25 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2008 - 04:25 PM

^^^ very true, some fish I'd call it cruel Dovii are like twist said playful an down right tough, think I know why mines been a bit quit I forgot to adjust my heater for winter and my temp was about 24deg as soon as it went up past 26 he became way more active.

#26 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 22 June 2008 - 06:37 PM

QUOTE (TWiST @ Jun 20 2008, 11:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it is like a pet dog and you just playin with it its not teasing they like it too, mine shows all her happy colours when she does it if you had your own one you would understand, i never teased her she just started chasin me as i walked past

Ive kept many Dovii, And never once have I treated them like a dog. I wouldnt even treat my dog like that, to ME thats not playing. But thats my opinion.

#27 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2008 - 10:18 AM

I see it differently.

By walking around the tank or my placing a net in to purposely provoke the fish, all your are doing is invoking natural behaviour. The fish is not being hurt in anyway, unless it bruises itself on the glass. Which is hardly an injury. Atleast it gives the animal something to do in its glass box. I think some people are a bit quick to call "cruelty to animals"!

#28 Jeromy_Syndrome

Jeromy_Syndrome
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:48 AM

I agree with peckoltia, I like to stick my fingers in my tank and across the front of the glass and the barra follows it with amazing concentration. I dont belive i am teasing him, from my view I am playing with him.

Jeromy

#29 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2008 - 06:21 PM

QUOTE (Aquatic Dreams @ Jun 22 2008, 09:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ive kept many Dovii, And never once have I treated them like a dog. I wouldnt even treat my dog like that, to ME thats not playing. But thats my opinion.

just so you know i treat my dog and my fish very well, they are very spoilt, my dog even sleeps inside on his own couch.
As with the dovii's they are like dogs coz they interact with you, my one shows different colours around different ppl, if it doesnt know some one she shows her shy colours if it someone she knows she gets all excited and shakes her body while movin up and down the tank

i dont know how your dovii showed wether it was happy or not, but this is how mine does

#30 scottyboy

scottyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 June 2008 - 11:53 PM

sorry im going to have to agree with aquatic dreams on this it just seems a bit wrong its not in its natural habitat, and that is a pretty small tank for the size of that fish. And for the owner to make it hurt itself as quoted playing with it seems wrong sorry guys but waste of a good fish

#31 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Jun 23 2008, 10:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I see it differently.

By walking around the tank or my placing a net in to purposely provoke the fish, all your are doing is invoking natural behaviour. The fish is not being hurt in anyway, unless it bruises itself on the glass. Which is hardly an injury. Atleast it gives the animal something to do in its glass box. I think some people are a bit quick to call "cruelty to animals"!

Thats cool, We will agree to disagree. wink.gif

#32 scottyboy

scottyboy
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:02 AM

thats true different people have different ways of treating each other and other species . hay azza whats the best way to set up that filter cause i had undergravels i can pm you if you like
cheers scotty boy

#33 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 10:26 AM

QUOTE (scottyboy @ Jun 24 2008, 10:02 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
thats true different people have different ways of treating each other and other species . hay azza whats the best way to set up that filter cause i had undergravels i can pm you if you like
cheers scotty boy

Hey Scotty,

Bring it into the shop, I'll set it up for you & Show you how to do it. I will back tmrw.

Cheers
Az

#34 *S*T*A*R*S*

*S*T*A*R*S*
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 12:04 PM

Hey all,

I would have to agree with Aaron. i dont keep tankbusters atm because i simply cannot house them properly with sufficet room. they are awsome fish, powerful, magnificant! i think that it is cruel to 'tease' or 'play' with them as such because in there natural habbitat they are not restricted to 6'-10' in an enclosure. in the wild they are free to travel as far or as little as they like, but in an aquarium if they are 'played' then they are being taught that every time you come near that they get to chase something or have a good feed. how then can you just come over to you tank to enjoy the pure grace and power of most tank busters (tems, monocs, etc) without them going spaz when you walk past the tank. also IMO i think that it can be unsafe for you fish, brusing against the glass and also i know poepl that have had sarratoga's, monoc's and a few other species jump out of the tank and knocking through coverglass, because of such behavioral characteristics.. we recently had a sarra try to jup out of a display tank because there was a gap in the coverglass, (he is 100% just so you know he didnt get out).

just so you all know i'm not trying to argue with any of you as i know that most of us have all had many years of fish keeping under thier belts and respect all ppl's opinions, this is simple my thoughts about the issue...

Cheers heaps,

Arron

#35 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 June 2008 - 09:53 PM

Just as a side note, I don't go out of my way to tease my fish, mine hides when I come near the tank than when I sit there he'll come back out. In all honesty you should see the way he chases the female. He makes the dovii in the video look tame as he makes contact with the glass and limestone rocks. He'll actually have white limestone marks on his nuptial hump where hes scrapped through, doesn't bother him at all. I've gotten over worrying he'll hurt himself (until he gets bigger that is) he's not aggressive to me but still has a predator instinct as he attacks feeders with great ferocity and will even kill than not eat it at times.

#36 *S*T*A*R*S*

*S*T*A*R*S*
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:50 AM

thats great bigz... how big is he atm??

i just dont like the idea of someone going out of their way to provoke a fish with predatory instinct....

i love the dovii, great tank busters

Cheers

Arron

#37 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2008 - 02:51 PM

Cheers Arron,

Hes round about 25cm the females smaller at about 20. They are great fish tons of personality.

#38 *S*T*A*R*S*

*S*T*A*R*S*
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 June 2008 - 03:47 PM

Re: Bigz

how big do they get to breed
have yours breed yet?

Cheers

Arron

#39 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:42 AM

I have had dovii breed at a very small size 10-15cm. Although it slows their growth rate down alot.

#40 Blakey

Blakey
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 June 2008 - 10:53 AM

when i had my dovii he got to about 35-40cm probably a bit bigger... and you wouldnt have to 'tease' him.
Anything that came near the tank, like the cat, a person a dog... he would go nuts over. He would pull the heater off the glass rip the intake off the aquaclear and when i cleaned the tank i would have to slide in a piece of glass to use as a partition so he couldnt bite me and even then he would just be smashing against it trying to get at me and a couple of time he did and drew blood.
Feeding him was the worst you would go to open the lid and he would straight away start jumping at it... he broke 4 glass lids.
I used to feed him feeder goldfish but ended up having to source feeder black bream that where about 8cm long... he ate about 10-15 of them a week... and immense amounts of pellets.

he was intense and would go off his tree at anything that moved i would call it teasing just a grumpy ass fish whos territory was the whole house not just the tank.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users