Photo

Red Tail Catfish Import

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#21 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 03:57 PM

with tha infomation on the salmontail---lowest temp range 67 degree F , with my calculation thats will be roughly 17degree C , the lowest water temp.....i doubt it would survive a winter.....

#22 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 January 2011 - 07:23 PM

alex you are right they are very large fish to keep but i was talking about tankbusters in general say pbass azules orinos, arowanas etc not the ones that get huge but still a decent size
also i would still prize them even if they werent rare, but rareitys are nice

#23 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2011 - 10:52 AM

I agree would be nice to see some of the fish we just don't get here. Like all the different pbass species, some nice blue azules would be very nice. I agree on still prizing fish that are quite common, I have gone back to Malawis and really love some of my really common fish. This is a sentiment that I'm sure would be shared by a lot of hardcore enthusiasts, but I don't think little timmy buying a rtc down at the local pet store for 10bucks would share the same thoughts.

#24 Midnite76

Midnite76
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 January 2011 - 05:51 PM

I agree with the above statement. We should have access to the tankbusters of the world but also be priced accordingly. With a higher price tag 'little Timmy' won't be buying any which leaves them available to the enthusiasts that have the dough to pay for them but respect the price enough not to dump them either.

I suppose we can't stop all the idiots buying them only to dump them as there are quite a few with lots of cash. Perhaps our government, like a lot of others these days, factor in the lowest common denominator when making some of these decisions, which really can't be a bad thing........can it?

#25 posiedon

posiedon
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 January 2011 - 09:24 PM

The minority ruin it for the majority.....

Could factor in a fish keeping licence for those certain rare species, higher grade licence the rarer or environmently dangerous it gets

#26 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 03:40 PM

Yeah I agree, tropical tankbusters such as RTC released into the natural waterways around Perth could be a disaster, because if they magically "evolve" overnight to survive winters they could jeopardise our stocks of gambusia, redfin perch, trout and carp.

#27 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 04:47 PM

Australia is a much larger place than the waters immediately surrounding Perth. Maybe time to get your head out of the clouds?

Edited by Cawdor, 12 April 2011 - 07:27 PM.

#28 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:29 PM

Its not my fault Im so tall.

Yeah sorry I forgot to include the introduced Perch for fishing clubs on the East coast. Anyway I dont want to answer you thoroughly Alex because it would just start another exotics debate, Ive done it before and won, so dont need to go there again.

But I do understand you, lets create laws for WA based on the needs of QLD and other states? yes perfectly fair and logical.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#29 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 05:42 PM

I must have missed the medal ceremony for the last 'debate'. goodjob.gif

#30 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 06:29 PM

Of course you missed it, only dignitaries and other important people were invited. laugh.gif

If the subject of introduced exotics interests you, then I recommend that you start by looking up the introduction of Carp in various fisheries reports, easy to google, very interesting reading and outlines just how difficult it is to establish an exotic species even intentionally, particularly in the southern states.

Cheers
Den smile.gif

#31 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 07:42 PM

den

you do know the redfin perch, is actuelly considered a pest, and is illegal to throw back no matter what the size?

they were an introduced species

cheers brett

Edited by terboz123, 12 January 2011 - 07:42 PM.

#32 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 08:01 PM

yeah lets make laws for WA only! its not like you could just drive across the border or something. o wait...

#33 Den

Den
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 January 2011 - 11:00 PM

yeah lets make laws for WA only! its not like you could just drive across the border or something. o wait

Yeah I agree, if other states can make rules for us that suits them well it should go both ways, so all other states should have to ban growing all fruit, because they have fruitfly and WA doesnt, its not as if people are gonna stop coming across the border with infected fruit making us spend big bucks on border quarantine control, o wait

you do know the redfin perch, is actuelly considered a pest, and is illegal to throw back no matter what the size?

Hi Brett, it was a sarcastic comment.

#34 terboz123

terboz123
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 03:05 AM

sorry den! my bad! these 2 30 am wake ups for work are killing me...
brett

Edited by terboz123, 13 January 2011 - 08:48 AM.

#35 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:12 AM

brickwall.gif

Edited by Peckoltia, 13 January 2011 - 01:49 PM.

#36 TWiST

TWiST
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 08:13 PM

i dont think little timmy should be able to buy for any tankbuster for 10 bucks, i would still be willing to pay higher prices for my tankbusters so they dont become a threat to our waterways, i would be quite happy with a licence system too

#37 tranced

tranced
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 January 2011 - 09:59 PM

yeah fruit is so unique and irreplacable, it should be compared equally to the environment. o wait...

#38 smellsfishy

smellsfishy
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 January 2011 - 04:34 PM

den what debate did you win?
ive said it before and im going to say it again you should need a license to keep certain fish.
and a RTC should be up the top of the category and you should have to prove your skill, equipment and knowledge in fish keeping.

#39 ruffaz

ruffaz
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 April 2011 - 10:51 PM

I believe you are rite ^^^ i would happy pay $500 for a juvie rtc any of the pbass or giant cichlid arows etc as a club this is what we should pursue

#40 BiGz

BiGz
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 April 2011 - 04:24 PM

I've said it before and I'll say it again. Permits the same needed to keep reptiles etc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users