Wtb: Red Tail Catfish

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#1 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2012 - 02:43 PM

Hey all,

I am in the process of getting an 1100LTR tank (200x75x75) up and running and am considering getting a RTC. I would love one and will no doubt get a bigger tank in the not to distant future the way my "fish addiction" is going... So size shouldn't really be a problem.

The only problem is everyone I have seen for sale are all over 2 foot already!

I know it's a long shot but I'd love to find one maybe 30-45cm max so I can watch it grow.

Anyway thought if I don't put it out there I'll never find one..

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Price: Willing to pay what ever it takes... You tell me

Cheers,

Sam

#2 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:37 PM

All of us tankbuster keepers want one........ Has anybody ever got 1 in the past 2 years?
Last one i seen was at Totally tanked, quite a big in too

#3 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2012 - 03:41 PM

Some RTC owners really need to get together and induce some spawning with hormone injections so we can get some RTC babies! I've never seen one under 30cm..

#4 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2012 - 04:15 PM

Yes I agree!

Last one I saw was in the quokka and it was 75cm $900 from someone in Kalamunda I think?

Anyway.... Keep on looking I guess!

#5 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:22 PM

To be honest I'm glad that there aren't any small rtc around. They just end up in tanks that are too small.

#6 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 20 April 2012 - 05:53 PM

Hey Guys

Moved this to the TB forum so it can be discussed further if need be.

Please refrain from starting discussions in the classifieds as this prematurely bumps the post

Thanks
Riggers

#7 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 01:00 AM

Good point.

But it's unfortunate for those who have tanks big enough.

Not saying that an 1100ltr tank is even big enough to keep a fully grown RTC. Because I know its not. But I have the dollars to build a big enough tank to accomidate when the time comes.

There are plenty of fish being kept in tanks to small. The fish doesn't have to reach 3ft for this to happen and it's not just happening where the species aren't readily available.

Even if people are educated, some still make the wrong choice to keep to bigger fish in to smaller space. This happens most commonly with oscars "in my opinion". I have kept plenty in my time and have had one that easily reached 40cm in a 4x2 before it died. But because they are so commonly available it gets overlooked in my eyes.

If people did start breeding RTC's and other bigger "exotic" fish in Australia why could it not be more like buying a pure breed dog being bred and sold to someone who the owners knew had a good home for it?

Saying that this doesn't always happen and I'm sure it never will with fish either and it's unfourtante for fish or what ever animal it may be.

If they were more readily available in Australia I'm sure this would not increase the percentage of people keeping them in to smaller tanks by very much through out the world. You only have to jump on YouTube to see this.

Edited by SamJohns, 21 April 2012 - 02:42 AM.

#8 Midnite76

Midnite76
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 08:48 AM

The biggest problem that I can forsee is numbers.

Don't get me wrong I love my RTC but when we talk about large scale breeding it could get problematic.

When a spawn would be in excess of 200 bubbies how long would it take for all the large tanks to be filled with these guys?

#9 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 02:03 PM

Yeah thats also a good point that someone else has put across as well yesterday.

I can't say I've ever researched their breeding habbits.

I also didn't mean to start a debate haha. I would just like to keep one as many other people would. In a big enough tank hopefully for the fishes sake.

#10 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 03:52 PM

It's always - ill build/buy a bigger tank when I need one. Not to take anything away from you Sam. But 99% of the time it doesn't happen. Largely in part to the fact that these fish get to 2' long in the first 12montha of life if cared for properly.

#11 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:41 PM

I want one in an indoor pond, thatd be the best smile.gif

#12 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:43 PM

It would be awesome ice. Come on get it cranking hehe

#13 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 04:45 PM

Need some RTCs on the market to make it worth it first!

#14 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 05:51 PM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Apr 21 2012, 03:52 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
It's always - ill build/buy a bigger tank when I need one. Not to take anything away from you Sam. But 99% of the time it doesn't happen. Largely in part to the fact that these fish get to 2' long in the first 12montha of life if cared for properly.

I understand where your coming from man. I also know people keep these in to smaller tanks and I don't agree with it. "I was a tad drunk when I wrote that rant of a post" haha

In my case I don't just "say something" for the sake of it. I will make it happen! I'm sure alot of people get ideas in there head and never follow through. If we meet, you will realize I am not one of these people.

I know for a fact I would care for it properly and accommodate for the size when the time came whether that be 6 months or a year...

Anyway I didn't mean to start an argument. But I do appreciate everyones input!

#15 Midnite76

Midnite76
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 06:54 PM

I don't think any argument has been started but rather a good debate between like minded people.

I am sure most who commented in this thread have similar ideals and being forward with our thoughts will do nothing but help our situation.
It is good to know what those that can keep this size fish think.

I would look forward to discussing this topic further with those keen and able to keep this fish

#16 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 21 April 2012 - 07:24 PM

Well nothing wrong with a good debate then haha.

I haven't been on this forum long and am still working out how everything works.

It's a good site and it has definately got some people who know what they are talking about and can share great advice!

#17 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 01:35 PM

No arguments here mate, just healthy discussion.

Breeding these things on a large scale would be devastating. It'd be like the states where they are $20ea and everyone with a 'huge' 4' tank has them.

- seems that most of the peeps that bring fish in are focusing on L numbers these days. Tankbusters are pretty hard to come by but L numbers are thriving.

#18 Fishrock

Fishrock
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 April 2012 - 11:35 PM

is it possible to get them sent in for a group buy? id love one

#19 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 April 2012 - 12:47 AM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Apr 24 2012, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No arguments here mate, just healthy discussion.

Breeding these things on a large scale would be devastating. It'd be like the states where they are $20ea and everyone with a 'huge' 4' tank has them.

- seems that most of the peeps that bring fish in are focusing on L numbers these days. Tankbusters are pretty hard to come by but L numbers are thriving.

Yeah man I get ya point exactly.

Honestly this is the first forum/topic discussion over the net I've ever been on. I hardly use a computer. I stole my housemates laptop when I found this one haha.

Well I'll just keep my eye out. I popped a deposit on the black ID shark at Aquotix. That'll sufice my TB urge for now. 40cm at the moment and I know they get big. So I'll wit and see if he out grows this tank and look at a larger one for him and hopefully pick up and be able to house a decent size RTC then smile.gif

#20 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 25 April 2012 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE (Peckoltia @ Apr 24 2012, 01:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Breeding these things on a large scale would be devastating.

on the other hand they eventually die out in Oz never to be seen again unsure.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users