Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:11 PM

How convenient

#44 Bowdy

Bowdy
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 06:42 PM

QUOTE (Brodybmx1 @ Oct 4 2012, 06:06 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Photo bucket doesn't work I've tried

I will post them for you pm me your number.

#45 Mattymak

Mattymak
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:21 PM

I texted him asked to come over and see his pbass. No reply.

#46 FrontyKwal

FrontyKwal
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:31 PM

Classic case of internet troll I reckon, got us pretty good though I must admit had me refreshing the page every couple minutes earlier on today hahaha

#47 Bickley

Bickley
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 08:38 PM

Well he has done a good job at it... Been on the forum for less then 24 hours and stired things up pretty well lol I don't even bother ready posts like this as soon as I see they joined that day or the day before.. I think there's a couple users that are just trolling heaps of new members popping up daily posting crap

#48 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 09:16 PM

If nothing else it was some light entertainment.

#49 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:31 PM

No peckoltia, it wasn't even that

#50 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 04 October 2012 - 10:46 PM

Delete this thread then mate, and cleanse the forum from the blight that is this thread.

#51 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2012 - 12:59 AM

true or not this is the sort of stuff that gets the authorities thinking - hmmm ok lets put this fish on the grey list to be investigated at a later time - then when no-one is watching - whammo it becomes noxious... too late everybody you have now lost pbass in the aquarium hobby...

well done to the noob who started this... something of this nature only fuels the less knowledgable authorities into panic mode....

those in the know and who have kept pbass will know that they have zero chance of establishing with our winter climate.

#52 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2012 - 01:46 AM

QUOTE (FrontyKwal @ Oct 4 2012, 02:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Haha from what Iv gathered from this site since I first started going on, alot of people dont like peckoltia because he provides true information about everything and proves people wrong all the time and people just hate cos they were wrong ;P

Dunno about all that flattery stuff, but he's very easy to troll and you can pump his blood pressure up a good 10 points.

SPEAKING of trolling....Obvious troll is obvious, Brody. This is someone making an acct for evil purposes wink.gif .

My advice: take some shots which are inconclusive but intriguing. Spoof the geotagging to somewhere amusing.

Do it for the lulz.

Edited by Kleinz, 05 October 2012 - 01:49 AM.

#53 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2012 - 04:35 AM

That matter didn't even come to my mind Johnno, but it's ever so true.
It's probably the responsibility of the moderater to wipe this whole thread based on the protection of peacock bass in the aquarium industry.

#54 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 05 October 2012 - 06:23 AM

That's not how it works. A thread like this doesn't mean a fish will be made noxious. There is a process they use. Pbass is already included in that process mainly because it is a big predatory fish.

#55 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2012 - 02:33 PM

QUOTE (Poncho @ Oct 5 2012, 06:23 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
That's not how it works. A thread like this doesn't mean a fish will be made noxious. There is a process they use. Pbass is already included in that process mainly because it is a big predatory fish.

Of course a thread like this won't make it Noxious. Noxious fish are basically based on their reproduction ability in each different climatic settings around oz. That fact that pb are formidable predators have very little to do with the decision of wether or not to be blacklisted.
It is the upset or imbalance of the ecosystem and more directly the food chain.
When one specie exists in numbers in a location that is not of origin, they muscle or push out the native specie (if weaker), wether carnivores, herbivores or omnivores, thens takes over its niche, then everything below in the chain is upset causing a catostrophical imbalance, that can leed to extinction of a number of species.
I have spoken personally to the head section manager of the fisheries research on the same round that oreochromis tanganicae was banned.
He said that aquarium forums are actually observed to gather information. He also said that they are not out to ban fish that are already popular among aquarists unless they are a real definite serious threat eg (snake heads).
It was up to the point of the round of the Oreo ban that the fisheries came to understand they did not know what was already in oz.
They are not trying to make it hard but trying to stop stuff coming in that is not in yet. They don't have money or time to research everything, so it's easier in most cases to say no and play it safe.
What they are now doing is researching what is in oz already so they can do their best to pass it.
They are surprisingly nice considerate people who asked my beliefs on many subjects, over an hour phone call !
Sssooo, they do scout about occasionally on forums, and surely this recent jibber jabber doesn't do our Pbass any good.
A lot of bogus stuff gets its way onto this forum on other subjects and classifieds almost undetected and unmonitored, but that's a can of worms that will stay closed.

#56 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 October 2012 - 10:16 PM

[quote name='bigjohnnofish' date='Oct 5 2012, 12:59 AM' post='264132']
true or not this is the sort of stuff that gets the authorities thinking - hmmm ok lets put this fish on the grey list to be investigated at a later time - then when no-one is watching - whammo it becomes noxious... too late everybody you have now lost pbass in the aquarium hobby...

+1 mate !

#57 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 02:05 AM

I just wasted half an hour of my life.

#58 Barf

Barf
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 06:50 AM

At what point north will they survive in the wild?
then draw a line across to the East coast, will they ban the bottom half of Aus or the whole lot?

#59 Poncho

Poncho

Vice Presidente Castro

• Committee

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:22 AM

If made noxious it is across the whole country Barf. You can't draw a line as the fish can be transported across it. They have a yabby line imposed for farming yabbies in SW aust, it closely follows Albany hwy. This imaginary line hasn't really stopped anyone west of it keeping yabbies or a yabby crawling across the highway to another dam if it wanted to.

Buccal being a successful predator has everything to do with it. You make this point in your own thread by saying it is the potential to create imbalance in an ecosystem or disrupt a food chain. Introduction of a formidible predator has the potential to do exactly that eg. Nile Perch in Lake Victoria, foxes across all of Australia, crown of thorns starfish in the great barrier reef.

Review the grey list again. The common theme I see is that the majority of fish kept by hobbyists and on the grey list are big predators. Perhaps before you were on the scene but a while back there was huge uproar from the hobbyist community about the subjective way fish were nominated for the grey list. There was poor consultation by the authorities, which they have admitted, but it was felt widely that the fish nominated weren't being put through a scientifically rigorous process to establish their worthiness on the grey list. One example is Crenicichla - nominated mainly because of its common name "Pike Cichlid".

Thankfully though there seems to be a willingness to conduct a more rigorous investigation on these nominated species before being made noxious. A thread like this may draw attention by authorities but I doubt they would even waste their time after reading the first half of the page. If we delete it, it looks like we are trying to hide something. I'm against censorship - it's much better IMO to have authorities see knowledgable hobbyists discredit a BS artist than have authorities wondering why forums are being so sensitive about grey lists species.

On a side note:
The club has been represented within the OFMIG process for a few years now. One of our members sits on the technical working group, we have a good working relationship now with Fisheries WA regarding educating the public about releasing fish and Swan River Trust too. IMO it's imperative we stay involved in these activities but the willingness of members to read up on these processes, help the club form well spoken and thought out submissions and responses and even represent the club when invited to be involved in these activities is almost non-existent. Most members seem happy to just rant and rave on a forum about unfairness. That's fine but it amounts to nothing and for the guys actually doing some work in this area, informing the rest of the members actually wastes a lot of their time.

I'm putting it out there now that if anyone thinks they have the skills to represent the club in these types of matters - put yourself forward because we need assistance. It's not a job for everyone, you need to be well-spoken, articulate, even-tempered and confident as well as follow up on commitments and look for information rather than expect it to be provided by someone else. If interested please pm me because we are losing traction in this arena fast - but be aware that we're looking for people who can demonstrate an ability to represent the club well, not throw a tantrum around the boardroom at the Swan River Trust.

Sorry for side tracking and here is a publication that's an interesting read supporting some of the points Buccal made (note Cichlidae species have been removed from the list at the end - I don't know why?)

grey list assessment paper

#60 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 October 2012 - 08:44 AM

Nicely constructed passages Poncho.
Sorry, I didn't mean big fish eating little fish wasn't A problem.
But the less knowledgeable may get a black and white picture in their heads, that there is only a problem if the introduced fish are eating the native fish.
But introduced fish just being existent and not eating others, even herbivores, create huge problems of imbalance leading to the death of native fish anyway.
Wish I did have the time to represent in some way, but I have bitten of a little more than I can chew in work life combined with the fish world as it is already.
I know I get a little over descriptive, I hope you don't think I'm outgrowing my boots. LOL

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users