Photo

Stocking For My 750L

• Please log in to reply
40 replies to this topic

#1 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2013 - 10:09 PM

Hey Guys, I have an unfinished 750l tank on my hands and I looking for any/ all suggestions on how to stock it!

The tank is 1 month 2 weeks old and and has just recovered from white spot ( 2 weeks ago). Since then I have added an 18 watt UV steriliser.

The specs!

The Tank

- 6*2'6"*1'8"

-750l

Technical

-UV steriliser, 18 Watt

-Fluval FX5

-2x 1200l/h powerhead

-2000l/h  powerhead

Stocking

wQ2ht0Q.png

Decoration

-Driftwood

-Pebbles

-substrate, black 7-8mm rocks

What I am after;

- A fish that will keep to its own

- not bully my clown loaches

- not massively hard to keep

- Will not out grow the tank

Photos of the tank;

Qp1wnL8.jpg

HulXP8N.jpg

FnSqrgV.jpg

Thanks in advance, more photos coming soon.

#2 Just Drive

Just Drive
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2013 - 11:22 AM

nice tank, maybe a black ghost knife (if 40-60cm isn't to large) or else rainbowfish, but in the end it kind of depends on your preference.

#3 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2013 - 12:02 PM

Funny that you say that because I have a 25-30cm BGK in a 55 gal grow out tank. The thing is I once kept small clowns with it and I have a hunch it killed (and ate) two. As for the rainbows I was kind of hoping for a suggestion for a larger type of fish or a single species that could kind of be a showpiece.

#4 Just Drive

Just Drive
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2013 - 01:35 PM

a school of angelfish, pakistani loaches or maybe some type of pleco. That's about all I can think of  :(

Edited by Just Drive, 10 November 2013 - 05:07 PM.

#5 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:07 PM

Yea, maybe a type of pleco that can grow big like a common, I think the flow would be a little strong for the angels... I have never seen the pakistani loaches for sale though.

#6 Morley Aquariums

Morley Aquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 10 November 2013 - 09:53 PM

Nice tank, just a word of advice. Get rid of the chinese algae eater before you get any more nice fish. These guys get really terrorial & feed on the slime of larger fish when they grow. Anyone who knows me know how much i hate them in any tank. Have seen them kill almost every species, large oscars, africans, koi, angels & many more.
This happens at night when the fish rest & they have no defence against them. After 21 years of dealing with dramas caused by these guys every week no argument will ever convince me otherwise.
A fish that should not be sold imo.

#7 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2013 - 08:39 AM

get a heap of silver sharks and clown loaches (like 10 of each!) man they look awesome in a group together.

how about some tinfoil barbs? or flagtail prochilodus?

heaps a congo tetras also would look cool!.

handful of spotted silver dollars even?

pair of bay snooks?

there are a few options that you could go with really.

as for a single large show fish they may eat the banded bards. but could try raise a banded leporinus or saratoga (maybe leichardi over jardini).

at least clown loaches and silver sharks can and will get to a decent size in that tank & can hold there own against larger fish.

I agree with the above post, there good at eating algae etc but can really irritate and harm your other fish, id suggest a pleco as a means of a clean up fish (just be wary they crap heaps!)

Edited by Jules, 11 November 2013 - 08:47 AM.

#8 TheTexasCichlidMasacre

TheTexasCichlidMasacre
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:51 AM

thats the best idea ive seen... the red bay snooks are awesome ive got 3... had them for almost 2 months now they are fantastic... they sometimes try to be a little aggressive to eachother but because they have such soft mouths compaired to other fish of there size range they dont do any damage to eachother but generally they dont act aggressive unless they're being aggressive towards food ... and there extra long mouths are so amazing to watch... look them up Clownz and watch some videos of them on you tube... :)

beginning to become my fave cichlid... but may not pass my fave nicaraguensis ... specially for colouring... but for personality hell yeah!!!

Edited by TheTexasCichlidMasacre, 11 November 2013 - 09:58 AM.

#9 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:08 PM

My FX5 just died today after 3 months (I bought it second hand)... damn... monster fish is probably going to wait. But I really like the idea of the saratoga idea  :welldone: . Kind of fits with the asian theme. I haven't seen any aggression with my chinese algae eater, when I originally bought it I bought 3. This one grew extremely quickly compared to the other (triple the size of the others within a month) so I had to stick it in the 750L. The thing was impossible to catch in my 200l I can only imagine how hard it would be to catch in the 750L!!. I NEVER see ANY algae in the aquariums that I have kept them in, they do the job perfectly I keep bristlenoses as well and they don't do anywhere near as good as a job. Are they really that bad? Does anyone else keep an FX6, as it may be my upgrade is as good as hagen brags compared to the FX5 or would you reccomend a different filter. Probably need some advice quick  :unsure: , because my current way of cycling the tank is to push water through the filter with a 10 000l/h pond pump rated for ponds up to 20 000 litres soooo... not quite ideal. Thanks all for your advice so far

#10 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 11 November 2013 - 09:52 PM

The chinese algae eaters are terrible as Paul said.
I've had them suck holes into the sides of some of my fish, like literally take a large chunk out.

They're cheap but they'll cost you your fair share of pricier fish.

Cheers

#11 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:35 AM

what do you think I should replace the chinese algae eater with? (does roughly the same job)

#12 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:04 AM

a pleco - sailfin, goldspot, fine line, chocolate blah blah! far more elegant looking etc not as worrying to other fish, bigger, and they look prehistoric.

Edited by Jules, 12 November 2013 - 08:09 AM.

#13 JackMack

JackMack
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2013 - 08:24 AM

What Jules said,
Or a couple of long fin bristlenose would look cool in my opinion.

Cheers

#14 BIG-PETE

BIG-PETE
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

I have a huge gibby and a big pleco for sale if your interested

#15 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:00 PM

A sail-fin pleco looks like an excellent addition!!, are they really as friendly as they are portrayed on youtube, there they can be hand-fed? How long does it take them to get to a foot? beceause my single siamese algae eater at 3 inches is able to do the entire 740l tank and in my 200l I have 2 bristle noses (at about 1 1/2 inches each) and they cannot compete with the amount of algae.

#16 BIG-PETE

BIG-PETE
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2013 - 05:32 PM

they are great fish very mystical they just cruise around sucking and cleaning

#17 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2013 - 07:19 PM

do they do as good as a job as the chinese algae eater though?

#18 BIG-PETE

BIG-PETE
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2013 - 11:30 PM

if you want your fish to live get rid of the chinese thing listen to the other guys

and yes big plecos do a great job keeping tank clean

#19 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2013 - 12:10 AM

yeah i have a pleco and it does my 8x3x2.5 and keeps it spotless and has to hide with imminent sneak attacks from rtc.... although its been nearly eaten a few times it still cleans like a mofo

Edited by bigjohnnofish, 13 November 2013 - 12:11 AM.

#20 Clownz!!

Clownz!!
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2013 - 10:11 AM

Ok, so a large pleco sounds like the way to go! where could I get my hands on one (prefer a juvenile so that I can grow it) does anyone know where I could get one?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users