• Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:33 PM

check this out...

https://www.youtube....h?v=hscEToo7p_k

#2 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:40 PM

Very cute. Those tubes are pretty fine material, though, so will likely clog easily IMHO.

#3 silverscreen

silverscreen
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:44 PM

i was also thinking that most plecos will destroy those tubes...but must be something out there that is more robust and serves the same purpose.

#4 Kleinz

Kleinz
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 October 2014 - 08:50 PM

Something coarser or with larger holes to allow water to flow inside to the other media would be the ticket, perhaps. Just having your fine wool as the first layer of media seems a losing proposition is all.

Maybe end- drilled PVC tube might go longer between cleans.

Still a nice idea in principle.

#5 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2014 - 12:12 AM

It's just like a pre filter I use on pond pumps just a scaled down version with finer media.. You can buy a block of coarse filter media and stick a little pump in it I just don't see the benefit of having it unless you have fish that like eating poo.. :)

I like how he claims the pump is new technology.... you can buy little needle wheel impeller pumps online for next to nothing that do the exact same thing, they're designed for little protein skimmers but suck really bad. Not a bad idea using it in a standard fresh water aquarium though

#6 Bermont

Bermont
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2014 - 01:05 AM

its a good idea and i like that the pump take the air in thru the impeller like in a protein skimmer on a marine tank, personally i think if the middle of a sponge filter was bigger id just fill that with some expanded clay and u have the perfect filter...

#7 Evil_Boof

Evil_Boof
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2014 - 06:23 AM

Ive seen one where the outer is pvc drilled with heaps of little holes... exact same design tho.. just on a much larger scale... the one i saw was 12000lph and made for a pond

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users