Photo

Isolating Fish In Aquarium.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2012 - 12:44 PM

Saw someone asking if they could seperate theirs fish using foam deviders the other day. I figure that would just be a pain in the bum as it floats. But gave me an idea.

I am currently catching The fish out of my African display. I didn't want to remove all the limestone whilst all the fish were in there. Just incase there was some sort of build up under the rocks or on the off chance I squashed my big Male Peppermint which hides very deep in the rock work.

So I can up with this. Honestly took me less than half hour to know up and cost nothing so I thought I may as well share.

10L bucket. You could use any size depending on fish. Just need a bigger box lid.

I didn't really take any progress shots. Because its pretty simple.

Trace bottom of bucket.

Cut out foam slowly "sharp knife" going a bit larger each time til bucket fits snug.

Drill holes in bucket base and sides, lightly sand off sharp bits.

Get a lighter and run it quickly around bottom of foam lid where you cut.

Give it a rinse then put it in your tank.

I added an air stone, because I had a spare outlet. Not really a nessecatty if you have drilled enough holes.

There ya go.

#2 klass

klass
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:48 PM

That's a great idea for a bigger tank! better yet get a clear bucket!

#3 sue

sue
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 23 May 2012 - 07:52 PM

Brilliant idea Sam and quite a simple design too. Might adopt it myself!!

#4 garlic shrimp

garlic shrimp
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:11 PM

well done mate ,great idea,easy as

#5 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2012 - 08:29 PM

Awesome Sam!! I use something similar with the pool skimmer buckets, there already designed for excellent flow through and I just cable tie on some poly lid as you've done.. great DIY mate biggrin.gif

#6 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 23 May 2012 - 09:09 PM

Off work sick. So had to cure my boredom somehow! Although not a very long period of time. Sold a few fish as well. The rest go on Sunday.

I was thinking about growing out some P Bass in there. But I might just buy a cheap tank for that and put the breeding pair of red bay snooks in there. Theyre getting a bit beaten up by the Jardini.

Also found a massive platydoras I haven't seen in months! Fatty was hiding in a deep cave. He's loving the big tank now!

#7 Riggers

Riggers
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2012 - 12:29 PM

Its always nice to find a fish in your tank you haven't seen in a while!! biggrin.gif

#8 SamJohns

SamJohns
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 May 2012 - 07:45 PM

Chucked a pic in the photo album of my big tank. He'd be 20cm+ now. Wish I had of measured him in the box before I put him in. Just read they apparently only get to 20cm. Hope he keeps growing smile.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users