Posted Image

PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

Photo

Anyone Getting Fish From Aquotix German Import?

• Please log in to reply
59 replies to this topic

#1 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2016 - 07:29 PM

What you getting?? :)

#2 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 01 January 2016 - 08:21 PM

Gnatochromis Permaxiliaris and maybe some Bentochromis :P

#3 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2016 - 09:39 PM

Very nice^^^ I have not seen either in the flesh. Would be a beautiful sight!!

#4 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:20 PM

The amount of times I almost ordered Gnat Perm's on orders through the past but just never did.
Everyone seems to forget them when talking clean up duty fish.
One fish I never looked at requirents and breeding info for.
I'll be doing it now I guess....

#5 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 01 January 2016 - 10:38 PM

never checked the G.perm out before,
Saw this great info below, pretty much answers every question.

inShare
Tweet
Gnathochromis permaxillaris
Classification
Cichlidae

Distribution
Endemic to Lake Tanganyika.

Habitat
Its widespread but rarely seen in the lake as it inhabits deeper water.

Maximum Standard Length
6″ (15cm)

Aquarium SizeTOP ↑
48″ x 12″ x 12″ (120x30x30cm) 110 litres.

Maintenance
Set up the aquarium with large piles of rocks arranged to form caves, large areas of open water for swimming and a sandy substrate. Dim lighting is recommended.

Water Conditions
Temperature: 72-82°F (22-27°C)

pH: 7.5-9.0

Hardness: 8-25 dH

Diet
Live and frozen foods should comprise a large proportion of the diet. Dried foods can be fed, but less often.

Behaviour and CompatibilityTOP ↑
Not a particularly aggressive fish and should not be housed with rowdy species such as Mbuna. It will mix well with similarly-sized peaceful Tanganyikan species such as Cyprichromis, Paracyprichromis, Altolamprologus, Julidochromis and Tanganyikan Synodontis species. It can be maintained in a group in a suitably sized tank.

Sexual Dimorphism
Difficult to sex. There is no apparent sexual dimporphism.

Reproduction
Not often bred in aquaria and details are scarce. It is a bi-parental cave-spawning mouthbrooder. Apparently, it will excavate the sand from underneath a rock or inside a cave and use this to barricade the entrance. Spawning occurs inside the cave and both parents share the mouthbrooding duties. The free swimming fry are released after around 2 weeks and grow very slowly. In fact, it can take 3 years for an individual to reach sexual maturity. If you want to breed this species, we suggest a tank arranged as suggested above, with lots of choice of caves and dim lighting. If possible, it would be better (and more cost effective (this is not usually a cheap fish) to start with a group of juveniles and allow them to pair off naturally.

NotesTOP ↑
This species was originally classified in the genus Limnochromis. There are a couple of colour morphs available and these should not be mixed in aquaria, as they may hybridise.
In nature, this fish feeds in a similar way to Geophagus species, in that it will sift sand through its gills to extract invertebrates hidden in the substrate. It is a deep water fish and has been recorded foraging at depths of up to 200 metres. These movements seem to be related to the presence of the plankton on which the fish feed. Its upper lip is extended to extraordinary proportions, in a way that, when the mouth is opened, it faces downwards. It uses this like a vacuum in its sand-sifting activities. The lip extension is not present in juvenile fish, developing only when they mature.

G. permaxillaris is a rare fish in the trade, as it is difficult to collect in numbers. Not only does it inhabit deep water, but it is never found in large numbers, occuring only in small shoals or as solitary specimens. It is not a beginners fish being sensitive to deteriorating water quality.

Edited by Buccal, 01 January 2016 - 10:39 PM.

#6 Mattia

Mattia

1st International Club Member

• PCS Club Member

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:29 AM

I think they definitely need bigger tank that what is said... 110 litres is just not enough. I would keep them at least in a 5x2, if not bigger.
They are usually found deep, but I saw them at only - 23 meters :o
Even Ad was surprised..
I spent 20+ minutes taking pics of the male and taping good video

edc7a74ce9c4295a5c2dcfc0832cfae5.jpg

#7 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

Yes well my thoughts are similar,, but for me I'd be doing a 1200 x 450w x 300w is what I'd have to work with if I tried them.

My thinking has been and still is (but not set in stone),,,, is that deep water habit species have acquired to a certain pressure against the body in deep water.
In the tank, the pressure (implosion), is far less,,,,,, would ths play around with fish ???,,,,, Hmmmmmmm maybe.

#8 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:39 AM

Yes well my thoughts are similar,, but for me I'd be doing a 1200 x 450w x 300w is what I'd have to work with if I tried them.

My thinking has been and still is (but not set in stone),,,, is that deep water habit species have acquired to a certain pressure against the body in deep water.
In the tank, the pressure (implosion), is far less,,,,,, would ths play around with fish ???,,,,, Hmmmmmmm maybe.

good point, but since these are tank raised?

ps: can I ask where you got the fish profile from?

Edited by BengaBoy, 02 January 2016 - 08:40 AM.

#9 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2016 - 11:39 AM

Thousands, millions of years of evolution in the raw doesn't become undone in quarter of a century in tanks.
Yes they would adapt better being domesticated, but I question more the slight barriers that keep difficulty in breeding induced.

Just like tricoti,,, notoriously hard to breed, but Definetely breedable. Ive actually bred them twice, 1st time was 3 and second time was 4.
All were deformed with tails bent towards nose making fish a loop shape.
The profile was randomly first one I scooped out of google,,, can't remember and didn't notice to be honest.

#10 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2016 - 12:08 PM

Thousands, millions of years of evolution in the raw doesn't become undone in quarter of a century in tanks...

yep.

Have read tho where tank bred herbivores, such as Tropheus, have an intestinal tract only half the length of those in the wild due to the higher quality food they get in the aquarium.

#11 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2016 - 07:33 PM

I think they definitely need bigger tank that what is said... 110 litres is just not enough. I would keep them at least in a 5x2, if not bigger.
They are usually found deep, but I saw them at only - 23 meters :o
Even Ad was surprised..
I spent 20+ minutes taking pics of the male and taping good video

edc7a74ce9c4295a5c2dcfc0832cfae5.jpg

Must have been just amazing!

Anyone else getting anything?

#12 Rovik

Rovik
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:14 PM

Getting myself a large colony of neolamprologus callipterus, been chasing these guys for ages and I'm a stickler for shell dweller.

Eyeing off a colony of tropheus as well, just a get to make my mind up. Red rainbow looking hot atm.

#13 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 02 January 2016 - 08:23 PM

Get the kiriza gold or caramba red bishops Rov

#14 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 January 2016 - 10:06 PM

yep.
Have read tho where tank bred herbivores, such as Tropheus, have an intestinal tract only half the length of those in the wild due to the higher quality food they get in the aquarium.

I've heard of this to,,, sounds plausible,,,, but I'm not sold on it,, a 10% or so reduction is more believable.
But I did say slight barriers as a remaining impact,,,,,, meaning yes they've changed to suit the aquarium as a form of adaption, but a slight remnant still remains from history evolution (this being the slight barriers),,, I'm always fully open for all things possible ha ha
:)

Edited by Buccal, 02 January 2016 - 10:07 PM.

#15 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 January 2016 - 12:41 PM

A few years back when I worked at Mido, I got a few Gnathochromis permaxillaris in. They were amazing to watch as juvies.
I think Terry ended up with them. But not 100% sure.

#16 ice

ice
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:13 AM

Seriously considering re-doing my 6x2.5x2.5 mangrove jack tank and doing a tang set up....

#17 Spiesie

Spiesie
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2016 - 08:23 AM

Seriously considering re-doing my 6x2.5x2.5 mangrove jack tank and doing a tang set up....

This would make a very nice tang tank with lots of possibilities!

Looks like everyone is getting tangs...No one getting Malawi's? Much more choices for tangs!

#18 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2016 - 10:55 AM

yes tangs here as well couldn't help myself .... dam fine prices and selection

#19 Jules

Jules
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 January 2016 - 11:12 AM

no bush fishes :(

:Rofl_3f:

#20 Spiesie