• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 cumar

cumar
  • Forum Member

Posted 17 June 2020 - 10:54 AM

Hello All,

Please excuse me for a lengthy post.

I have been trying to establish a decent planted tank for over 5 year.  My last attempt 2 years ago started well (image attached) and quickly fell apart.  I learned much from that, poor lighting, poor filtration and inadequate ferts.

During the lockdown, staring at my tank I have decided to start again and do it right this time.  I need your help and opinion on some of the choices as try to keep my cost low.

The tank is 120 x 65 x 50 (depth) cm 260 L.

AIM

High-tech heavily planted tank with carpet plants.

Light

I have opted to go with 3x 120 cm MML lights with 90 degree lens.  My existing ones are standard low coast white LEDs from a LFS.

Ferts

I currently use Aqua Greens dinosaur pee.   But this around I am looking as 2HR Aquarist (Singapore) APT complete, which from I understand is a middle ground between EI’s rich dosing and ADA’s lean dosing.  The benefits are less water changes and only monthly pruning.  I looked at Seachem, but too damn complicated for me.

Substrate

Currently I am using Eco Complete, and I hope to mix some Aquasoil as base substrate.

Filter

Currently have an old Sun Sun 1200L/H and it is barely pulling its weight.  My options are a Fluval FX4 or equivalent or 2x Aqua One Ocellaris 1400lph give me the flow rate at the same time better circulation in the tank.  Aqua One option cuts the cost by nearly half.

Co2.

Pressurised co2.

Any suggestions or comments?

Attached Files

• sue likes this

#2 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 17 June 2020 - 06:31 PM

I have no idea about high tech planted tanks. I find that balance is the key with planted tanks. Heres a photo of my largest planted tank.

Attached File  B602366B-B04F-46AF-B95D-C48B9D20CE21.jpeg   142.38KB   10 downloads

I think its all trial and error. Get decent equipment if you can afford it. I run co2 and Make My LED lighting, with easy to grow plants and fish that dont kill the plants

#3 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 24 June 2020 - 07:37 AM

Hi, same thoughts. Try a few different plants and see which ones work in your tank and together.

Having good water flow to move CO2 around to plants is useful. Good substrate as well.

Watch for fish not eating / just hanging as well as gasping at surface. Even with a ph probe controller I’ve managed to gas fish.

Testing phosphate and nitrate say bi-monthly can be handy so you know not over/under dosing ferts.

Lights I’ve found can be cheaper ones as long as have dimmers on them to control intensity. Reducing intensity / duration helps control algae (as ferts / CO2 are dosed in excess).

#4 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 June 2020 - 03:56 AM

AquaOne Ocellaris are very inefficient. What you save up front, you will pay for later on electricity.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users