• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 12 November 2016 - 11:56 AM

Wondering if one is better than other?

Just bought sinking pellets at Midland to try but usually get floating pellets. I'm guessing a sinking pellet would have less chance of air gulped in / any issues but on the community fish I keep I've never really had any troubles there. I usually get the floating ones as some sink and some float but I figure once they reach the gravel they are lost to the mid-level fish (except mollies).

On a side tangent, I don't know if it is my angelfish but they are so slooow at eating! Each pellet is delicately sized up and inhaled while the tetras are running smash and grab on everything (including the algae wafers they treat as all day suckers).

Anyways floating vs sinking pellets - what do people use?

#2 Bombshocked

Bombshocked
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2016 - 02:59 PM

i personally use Nls Algae max sinking pellets, spirulina flakes or hikari carnivore sinking tablets if im feeding catfish

my adult appisto cacs fav food is Nls Cichlid Formula – 1mm Sinking

if im feeding my Nannostomus beckfordi i use Nls Grow freeze died black worms, flakes or live grindal worms

if im feeding ottocinlus ill feeed frozen veggies nls algae max flakes or Kale tablets

i used to worry about fish getting air and stuff so i would soak the pellets in 30ml of water for a minute or 2 and then pour them in when i had 1-2cm appisto fry so it would break up as eaten and even the small fish got some, but it made for alot of water changing due to the mess

#3 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 12 November 2016 - 03:56 PM

It depends on type of fish and filtration, if you had a skimmer i would definitely use sinking. Some fish feed at the surface, some mid water and others at the bottom. To make sure all fish get some thing to eat feed at several locations, not just all in the one spot as the more aggressive eaters will get most of the food. I use mainly sinking, the floating is only occasionally (HBH veggie flake and whole freeze dried shrimps).

#4 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 12 November 2016 - 09:58 PM

Thanks everyone, tried the new sinking pellets and can't say I noticed much difference. Most floated around even with a powerhead going. Fish got them pretty quick Also tried some frozen green algae cubes. Something like that which are meant to be really nutritional and healthy. Sadly the fish thought they were being poisoned but they have two packets to get through...

Edited by Delapool, 12 November 2016 - 09:58 PM.

#5 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:44 AM

Sinking pellets are more likely to be cold extruded. This means less nutrients have been destroyed by the cooking process.

#6 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 13 November 2016 - 07:32 PM

Sinking pellets are more likely to be cold extruded. This means less nutrients have been destroyed by the cooking process.

Many thanks! That sounds quite interesting - seems more to it than I thought.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users