Hey guys, this is the first marine tank in this house so decided to make a journal for it just now. Below you can read a bit of info on setting up and what brings us to the current moment / state of the tank.
4x2x2 - This tank is technically my mums tank, so I'm sort of writing this part of the journal on her behalf. Ok ok, it is her tank. I however have been helping setup and design the aquascape - Hope you like it. This tank has been a downgrade (really an upgrade) from my mums fully planted 6x2x2. A few things from that "old" 6x2x2 have gone into my own 6x2x2 - Specifically the CO2, some plants and eventually some fish.
Anyways, moving onto better things, haha:
Sorry for the lack of progress photos, skip to bottom if you're just here for photos
The tank itself is a Waterbox 135.4 which was bought from Aquarium Gallery Perth in Wangara. This is a really nice ultra clear tank which is fully decked out for saltwater - Comes with a good sized sump, super nice cabinet, auto top off, weir + plumbing. Even had it delivered and assembled by some guys, awesome! Would probably make a super nice planted tank too.
The tank arrived about a month ago and was sitting while we planned, moved it about and decided on the best place to put it. We eventually decided to place it in the corner between couches, as it didn't make a reflection on the tv too much there... It was really mainly put there as there was plenty of space round the cabinet hehe.
When moved to the correct spot we realised we were going to have to move it again - There was a large brown patch of paint where the 6x2x2 used to be, from when the house got repainted and we couldn't move the tank haha. The wall was repainted and the tank finally moved to its final position. Then we were ready for equipment and aquascaping materials. We managed to get nearly everything in one deal from somebody shutting down 3 tanks (all marine!). We got a shit ton of dry rock, a Bubble Magus 220cs, a Reef Octopus reactor, heater, IBC & pump + 150l of salt water and a RODI unit. IBC was placed down the side of the house but is nearly in line with the tank, so we can put a hose through a window and pump water straight to the tank. We also got some aragonite sand and some more rock from a guy nearby, and a Tunze return pump also from AGP.
From there, as you could imagine, we put the sand in, filled the tank partially and invented some different aquascapes. The general idea for the aquascapes was to make 2 "piles" of rocks, one larger than the other. The IBC was later fully filled with salt water later and we filled the tank + sump. What followed was a lot of frustration (and excitement) today, while getting our first sump properly working. Eventually it was all done and working silently, though we are still having a bit of trouble with the ATO. Finally being done I was well and truly happy to mess around for the rest of today's afternoon scaping.
Though not totally happy with the current scape, mum and I really like the general shape:
22829934_1840048716035550_3632491409234763422_o.jpg 107.63KB 9 downloads
That catches us up to now - Everything is running, scape looks good (or so we think ) and all that is now needed is some T5 globes, or a new light unit.
Hope you enjoyed reading, not the most exciting read I'm sure, but it leads us to the current moment. Keep an eye out for further journal updates
PS Could someone please move this to marine section... accidentally posted it in wrong place.
Edited by Leichardti, 29 October 2017 - 09:59 PM.