• Forum Member

Posted 30 October 2017 - 09:56 PM

Forum should be renamed "Guppies Galore" :P :lol: :Rofl_3f:

#23 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 31 October 2017 - 07:39 AM

All Guppy books removed from PCS Library I’m afraid.... (although I confess I was very tempted on some several auctions ago).
  • Fox likes this

#24 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2017 - 02:56 AM

Do keep some cichlids... briefly till they get eaten by catfish or cod

#25 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 02 November 2017 - 04:22 AM

They aren't cichlids Johhno! :)

#26 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 November 2017 - 02:31 AM

Africans and Americans... I don't discriminate lol

#27 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 05 November 2017 - 09:20 AM

Thanks, But getting a bit repetitive ;)

FB is easier to load pics on, but fb doesn't have that forum/club "feel" about it.

I don't know here. I've been using tapatalk to upload photos to the forum and it hasn't been too bad? Do know what you mean though. Convenience wins?

I would guess facebook would be a bit of a one-stop shop? Learn facebook, find a group and off posting. I totally agree on the forum/club feel. Maybe I don't use facebook a lot so don't understand it well but it doesn't seem to have the forum/club feel to it. More like a rolling news/twitter feed perhaps. And none of the article resources, blogs or much structure. And yet must attract people somehow. Just looking at a quick google search it looks like they have put some effort into "groups" and management of it. I do wonder if forums have been playing catch-up to mobile technology a bit there, facebook got in early on that and where it will end up in 5 years time.

#28 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2017 - 01:29 PM

Facebook is the root cause of much of the evil in this world. Got off it 8 years ago, and never looked back. 

Used my wife's account from time to time to look at a couple of stingray pages, but now even she has given FB the flick. 

Hopefully we see a resurgence of the forums, as the common consensus seems to be the FB as an information source on hobbies seems to be inferior to proper forums. 

#29 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 06 November 2017 - 04:14 PM

Facebook sucks for aquarium related advice. Forums are better, but the best thing is books, attending club meetings and good fish shops. If you build rapport with your local fish shop, and they have been in the industry for a while, chances are you're gonna get darn good advice. People at Aquotix, Morley, and Vebas know their stuff from what I have personally experienced. And I have a stupid amount of books on everything aquarium related. It's amazing the gems you can find in a book written by someone who is an avid hobbyist or ichthyologist (hope i got the spelling right). And attending club meetings is far more beneficial (IME) to chatting on a forum. Getting hints and tips from people who have had success with certain types of fish is what I am always after. I had a good chat to (yep here comes that name again) Anton Lamboj about breeding dwarf cichlids, and what he told me in 20 minutes walking through Kings Park was more that what anyone else had ever taught me about keeping dwarf cichlids. Ok so I'm ranting here...... apologies...... rant over. Sorry if I derailed this thread, just my 2 cents worth. 

#30 Rodders02

Rodders02
  • Forum Member

Posted 06 November 2017 - 07:44 PM

Agreed, Facebook is good as just a buy and sell place like gumtree. Terrible for advice though 98% of the time. Theres so much sh*t you can get caught up in aswell because there are so many tools who can ruin your fish keeping experience which you just dont get on the forums.

Edited by Rodders02, 06 November 2017 - 07:44 PM.

#31 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:07 AM

Thing is, this hobby is as much about people as it is about fish.

You meet good people in fish world online, in lfs, on gumtree, on ebay, at the jeti, in the dentist waiting room and even through magazines or books.

:)

If you luck on a great fish dude/chick at a lfs then happy days!

If you meet a breeder who you can chat with and tour a fishroom over a few beers, THEN AWESOME.

If you have a mate or family who are "experts" to guide you then thats amazing.

Maybe you managed to join and active club.

Otherwise its forums and facebook.

people want the social side of the hobby, not just the fish side of it all.

On Saturday I went to a flowerhorn facebook group BBQ and it was great.

Awesome smoked meat, fresh chilli from his aquaponics and I got to meet a whole heap of fish people.

Was just....  just like the old days in fish world, before everyone thought buyers were going to rob them....

Any org that can capture the social aspect, will capture the hearts of hobbyists.

Also BBQ's are awesome!

One or 2 a year could be difference between a dead forum and a thriving group of online friends who also keep fish :)

#32 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 07 November 2017 - 08:39 AM

^he said the f word..... f f f f f flowerhorns  :o 

#33 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:13 PM

You know in the trade, the "f word" is actually "fine".

As in

"have you tested your water?"

"yes its fine"

Which translates to ammonia 4ppm and nitrite 6ppm, pH 4.2, nitrates 890000900ppm

Still though, if the flowerhorn keeping savages can organise a BBQ, surely distinguished connoisseur's such as PCS can :)

#34 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 07 November 2017 - 12:19 PM

Still though, if the flowerhorn keeping savages can organise a BBQ, surely distinguished connoisseur's such as PCS can :)

those savages!  :Rofl_3f: 

#35 bigjohnnofish

bigjohnnofish
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:21 AM

F word..... feeders..same as flowerhorn isn't it ? Lol

#36 Fox

Fox
  • Forum Member

Posted 08 November 2017 - 02:53 PM

Awesome smoked meat, fresh chilli from his aquaponics and I got to meet a whole heap of fish people.
Was just....  just like the old days in fish world, before everyone thought buyers were going to rob them....

Any org that can capture the social aspect, will capture the hearts of hobbyists.
Also BBQ's are awesome!

should've been cooking the little F'ers :)

You know in the trade, the "f word" is actually "fine".

As in
"have you tested your water?"
"yes its fine"

Which translates to ammonia 4ppm and nitrite 6ppm, pH 4.2, nitrates 890000900ppm

How many times I've heard that over the years :/

F word..... feeders..same as flowerhorn isn't it ? Lol

Yes....yes Sir it is!

#37 Delapool

Delapool

Membership Officer

• Admin

Posted 08 November 2017 - 05:37 PM

Thing is, this hobby is as much about people as it is about fish.

You meet good people in fish world online, in lfs, on gumtree, on ebay, at the jeti, in the dentist waiting room and even through magazines or books.
:)

If you luck on a great fish dude/chick at a lfs then happy days!
If you meet a breeder who you can chat with and tour a fishroom over a few beers, THEN AWESOME.
If you have a mate or family who are "experts" to guide you then thats amazing.
Maybe you managed to join and active club.
Otherwise its forums and facebook.

people want the social side of the hobby, not just the fish side of it all.

Also BBQ's are awesome!
One or 2 a year could be difference between a dead forum and a thriving group of online friends who also keep fish :)

So were they (or any Facebook groups in general I guess as they seem a bit niche) saying more social aspect to Facebook maybe?

#38 Westie

Westie

West African Cichlid fan

• Admin

Posted 08 November 2017 - 09:53 PM

A now defunct Cichlid forum based in WA used to organise BBQ's. PCS usually have a family BBQ day too. Had lawn bowls one year. This time it's Rockingham foreshore. The age of aquariums dude should fly over to see how we do it in the west.

#39 Ageofaquariums

Ageofaquariums
  • Forum Member

Posted 09 November 2017 - 06:26 AM

Could visit the fam while we are there, Busselton expat here XD

Don.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users