Photo

Piranha fish

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Barca888

Barca888
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2004 - 09:45 AM

One of my friends is looking to keep a piranha. Are these fish illegal in WA? Ive never seen some at the local fish shops. I know there has been some piranhas (dad told me however they could have been pacus) and if someone knows where i could get one can they please tell me.

Thanks Peter

#2 chuckmeister

chuckmeister
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2004 - 10:28 AM

Hey Peter, While I can appreciate people wanting to keep things that are hard to get I'd have to say there is a limit. Quite a few poeple (including many fish keepers/retail sellers) find a few fish that actually deserve to be on the illegal list. These fish breed in the hundreds. It reminds me of the Channas that came in and the fine and penalty that accumanied it. I'd also suggest that a public forum like this is not the place to talk about fish like these.... unless of coarse your interested in 'THEIR' natural habitat. I think that you wont find these fish anyhow ............... dont get me wrong, if I could fit a 1 metre channa..... If I had the money and they were not quite as noxious and I had a spare swimming pool and a license from AQIS I'd be the first to get one.

#3 saudukar

saudukar
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2004 - 04:40 PM

I used to love getting this question when I worked in the trade.

There are 2 answers:

No you cant buy pirhanas.

They dont exist here in WA.

What you probably saw was over sized silver dollars red hooks, pacu's or whatever, there are also many look alike silver dollars from the same Genus but commonly they are silver dollars if you THINK you have seen pirhanas.

IF theoritically you could get one, it would have had to have been illegally smuggled in and are not commonly seen (like in aquaruim store as they always say where they saw it [yeah right]) as they do appear on the noxious fish list for immediate destoyal. PLUS it would have a HEAFTY price tag involved.

I could probably find one from the black market if you are willing to put down a deposit of about $2000 bucks.
Or alternatively you can buy these silver dollars that eventually sort of look like pirhanas for $6.50??

#4 Eartheater

Eartheater
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2004 - 06:39 PM

They are in perth and have been for quite some time a well known lfs owner was caught with some a couple years back. But yes they are available if you know the right people. Im almost certain most of them were nats (red bellies). They went for far less than $2000ea aswell might i add. The thing with keeping pirahna is they are actually quite shy which most people dont realise, so you need to keep 6+ for them to feel completely comfortable.

PS- I thought i should add that i am in no way supporting the sale of pirahna just stating the facts, i also do not keep pirahna, or any other noxious fish.

#5 greshaki

greshaki
  • Forum Member

Posted 14 May 2004 - 07:25 PM

Piranhas are illegal, Ive never seen them but like everyone has said there are some pretty close relatives available: silver dollars, pacus if youve got the space. And what about those things called 'buck tooth tetra'? they were close piranha kin as well, im pretty sure

#6 Barca888

Barca888
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2004 - 01:16 AM

Well as i said my dad was the one who saw a pair at a ladies house on the job. He could have been wrong, the lady could have been wrong.

Ill give this information to my mate. Dont think he'll like it biggrin.gif

I dont think he'll want a pacu or a silver dollar as he wanted a piranha for the obvious reasons.

Thanks for the info

#7 00 Electric 00

00 Electric 00
  • Forum Member

Posted 15 May 2004 - 02:11 AM

I have seen them In the Quokka for sale 3-4years ago :lol the guy had (9) at $450each. I remeber well cause I thought they would be cool (when younger).

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users