Photo

Marine Predator Project with my 6'x2'x2' tank setup

• Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 nick

nick
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:28 AM

Hi people. Today I bought a 6'x2'x2' with newzealand pine cabinet and hood and 2x heto 4' twin tube fluro lights. 1x Jager 200w heater, 1x air pump and heaps of limestone for $700. I didn't get any canister filters with it because he's asking a hundred bucks extra for his two elheim 300l/hr canister filters. I didn't think they were worth it though. I think i got a bargin but what do you think? I'll post the pictures later as i go along with the project. I've only got the cabinet and the hood atm. The tank apparently is leaking so he's gonna claim warranty and he said i'll be receiving a brand new 6'x2'x2' tank next week.

I decided to start a little project of setting up a marine predator tank. I need some of your experience and tips and tricks with setting up marine predator tank. I'm hopping to get 2x port jackson, 2x bamboo sharks, 2x triggers and puffers, and 2x lion. Do you think that too many in a 6'x2'x2'. Also would aqua nova 1500 canister filter from age of aquarium be sufficient for the sort of fish i want to keep? I do know sharks and puffers produce alot of wastes. Any comments are welcome especially advices.

Nick

#2 hlokk

hlokk
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:40 AM

Sounds like it would be an awesome tank. For filtration, marine aquariums often use sumps, so have you thought about putting one in the base? If you get the tank drilled it will be very easy to set it up. Sumps have the benefit of larger size (more water in aquarium and more filtration) and are exposed to the air, so biological filtration is easier. I also have seen that a lot of marine aquariums use a skimmer, but i dont know if that is necessary for a fish only one.

I dont know heaps about marine fish, but i would be shocked if you could keep a port jackson or bamboo shark in a 6x2x2. Even if you can, it would be a bit cruel. Vebas have/had some sharks in a tank, but from memory it was a 8x3? Port jacksons grow to about 60cm long too.

The rest seems fine to fit but watch out for the lion fish. NEVER put your hand in the tank without knowing exactly where both your fish are, and always watch them. If the move, take your hand out. Even better, get some SS tongs.

#3 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2006 - 11:40 AM

gday nick
with just the one cannister youd be under filtrating by heaps, id be aiming to turn the water over atleast 15 times an hour in that set up, due to the fact you cant have much live rock work in there cause your sharks will destroy the set up and knock your rocks everywhere
my breeding pair of catsharks were 1.1 m long 110cm, thats almost double the size of your tank so id definatly rethink any sharks. port jacksons are a temperate water fish and grow to around 2 metres aswell so tropical conditions and size problems wouldnt suit them either.
the puffers are no probs, there my favs.
whach what sort of triggers you get, clowns, red lines and pink tails will nip at everything including slow movers like rays, catsharks, but on the other hand queens, fuscus and a few others are great, i once kept a picaso, clown and 4 queens together which gelled ok, i wouldnt recomend it though as i think i was pretty lucky
and as for your lions id go for antennata, there a little smaller than volitans and in my opinion look better aswell
i think your best option would be as mentioned above get it drilled for a sump and fill that with all your filter media. with pereditors your best investment will be your filters, always spend the maximum your budget allows, this may mean you have to hold off buying fish for a few months to save but a year down the track youll have better fish and alot less waterchanges to do
hope that helps a bit
steve

#4 Peckoltia

Peckoltia
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:43 AM

Firstly please do a little more research before you go buy all these fish.

That is way too many fish in a tank that size as well as some that will just grow far too large. A 6x2x2 IMO and in my experience is way too small for even bamboos.

As scuba steve has mentioned, PJ's are temperate water species. They can also grow in excess of 5'. About as long as your tank is.

Do your research carefuly.

#5 piscevore

piscevore
  • Forum Member

Posted 07 December 2006 - 01:23 PM

NO sharks, none at all. the tank is just not big enough. A tank with triggers and lionfish may be slightly boring, try adding a few eels aswell, (snowflake, blu/black ribbon etc) to make it interesting.

#6 checker

checker
  • Forum Member

Posted 24 December 2006 - 07:54 PM

what would be the minimum size tank for sharks just interested to know thanks

#7 highlucks

highlucks
  • Forum Member

Posted 25 December 2006 - 11:32 PM

I have recently set up my first salt tank, its a 6' standard and has around 40 kg of live rock, queen protein skimmer, project pjf2001 canister and a power head 802. So far all seems to be running ok. I have a zebra moray eel, estuary catfish, miniata coral cod and a moon wrasse. have tried a smaller moon wrasse but that was swallowed by the cod also tried a large pixie hawk but that was harrassed to death in one night by the cod. from what i have been told by my LFS you can usually house one predator per 40L of tank water but this would have to be dependent on size. I tend to agree with some other comments regarding sharks they need a hell of alot of room to move and that size tank would be a little cruel/ In the future my girl and i plan to have a shark tank for the ones you have listed above and we will be aiming for an 8x3x2 with a 300L sump. Some of the cods would make a good addition to your proposed tank and also wrasses are quite cool to but i wouldn't suggest having the 2 together.

#8 posiedon

posiedon
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2006 - 10:36 AM

The best preditory tanks ive seen arent glass nor inside lol i have dont this myself makes for a good touch pool.

Buy one of those kids errectable paddling pools and reinforce with some pond plastic sheeting use a spa pump through a sub tank 3ft would do throw all your uv lights and skimmers in that.

we had 3 black tips with one 2mtr moray and 50cm snow flake. snapper old wives . make a bommy in the middle for some crays.

worked great.

oh if your keeping sharks you need a strong heavy lid or super tight netting they jump out otherwise,

#9 Tucunare

Tucunare
  • Forum Member

Posted 26 December 2006 - 12:55 PM

what sort of morey did you have???

#10 piscevore

piscevore
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2006 - 08:27 AM

Im guessing a honeycomb morey. Not much else available that gets that size!

Sounds like a good idea for a setup poseidon. If you have to have a tank then dont kid yourself, sharks have a turning circle that makes a road train look nimble. even smaller species such as catsharks (from the family Scyliorhinidae) still need room to move. As a minimum I would give a shark triple its own length for the length of the tank, double its length for the width of the tank and half its length for the hight of the tank. That would be my minimum.

#11 posiedon

posiedon
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2006 - 12:28 PM

not sure wat it was exactly took two to carry lol had them from youngens could hand feed most of the pools inhabitants.

just beats caging them up they need huge amounts or room. small port jacksons and wobbys are ok in big glass tanks cos they dont grow as fast.

#12 piscevore

piscevore
  • Forum Member

Posted 27 December 2006 - 06:14 PM

I reckon I would get more enjoyment out of that than a tank anyway. being able to hand feed etc would be alot of fun

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users