Lots of fish dying. what do i do?

• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:44 AM

Hey everyone

recently, lots of my fish have passed away. About a week ago i added 8 serpae tetras from cicty farmers joondaulp and after that 3 of them died, my golden barb died, my tiger barb died and today i woke up to fine my beloved black ghost dead too. sad.gif What do you guys reckon it is as i dont want to lose anymore fish.

regards

pleco4me 8)

#2 anchar

anchar
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2006 - 08:47 AM

http://www.perthcich...h...opic&t=5371

#3 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:46 AM

all the fish seemed well before they died and all the water levels seem fine.

#4 diamondgirl

diamondgirl
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2006 - 09:56 AM

How often are you doing water changes, gravel vacs, etc.

You need to post your water parameters so that someone can help you out. We need more information.

I'm really sorry to hear about your black ghost knife fish, a shame you couldn't find him a new home. Hope you will be able to solve the problem before you loose any more fish.

Cheers - Denise

#5 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:26 AM

thanks diamondgirl biggrin.gif
the ph is 7.0 and i do water changes every week.
I hope none of my ohter fish die :?

#6 diamondgirl

diamondgirl
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2006 - 10:47 AM

What about nitrates, have you had those checked and how much water do you change every week. Do you gravel vac when you change the water and do you move the rocks or any other decor in the tank to gravel vac under them? Also, what about the temperature? Could that have changed? Check out the link Andrea posted and try and post as much of that info you can.

I had a similar problem a while back and it was because my nitrates were really high. The nitrates can build up slowly but usually the fish will just start dying without any warning.:cry:

If it is high nitrates then the only solution is to do lots of water changes. I was doing them every third day of about 20 - 40% for about 2 weeks. Also to keep them down I added hornwort which takes up a lot of the nitrate. Its all good now but I do 40% every week and only a section of the tank at a time, moving the decor (not plants) and vac'ing under them. Its amazing the amount of dirt that accumulates under them.

But, it could be a disease that's been introduced by your new additions. If you can, try and get your water checked at your LFS for everything and then post the results.

In the meantime - fingers crossed you dont lose any more fishies!

#7 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2006 - 12:48 PM

High nitrates would appear to me to be unlikely if the pH is neutral (7.0), since most nitate is present as nitric acid in poorly buffered systems: which should be the situation for the species that appear to be the problem.

That is to say, the fishes mentioned are all soft water species. I assume that they are not being kept in a tank set up for hard, alkaline water species such as rift lake cichlids.

As indicated, there is too much information missing to make a meaningful guess at the real cause of any problem.

Syd.

#8 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 04:52 PM

the problem is high nitrate levels, according to my lfs. :? But i just did a water change and all the fish look happy so hopefully they'll be fine biggrin.gif
Thanks for your help too.

#9 diamondgirl

diamondgirl
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:28 PM

Like I said, to bring it down you will need to do frequent water changes over a period of time.

What size is the tank and how many fish do you have in there? Overstocking can cause nitrates to rise.

Good luck - Denise biggrin.gif

#10 OrangeBemba

OrangeBemba
  • Forum Member

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:35 PM

Depending on how high the nitrates are you may wish to do a water change twice a week until you get the level under an control.

Its the level is find go back to once a week.

#11 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 October 2006 - 05:48 PM

the tank size is 48" 200L. Theres an old pic of it in the photo album in the forums. The tank has 2 archerfish, 1 gibby, 1 gold spot pleco, 4 congo teras, 4 bolivian butterflys, 5 serpae tetras, 1 angelfish and 2 black widow tetras and the filter is an eheim cannister 2213.
Yea ill keep doing a water change everyday or so. Lucky its holidays!! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users