PCS & Stuart M. Grant - Cichlid Preservation Fund - Details here

I bred silver sharks and silver dollars - no joke

• Please log in to reply
27 replies to this topic

#21 skittles

skittles
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2007 - 02:09 PM

so i need to correct my post scrub out monos lol just read your post benkie laugh.gif
Im going to try and breed a rare fish so i can be 1 of the first it will be a great memory

#22 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2007 - 04:54 PM

(Fish Antics)
Can I just say that it is turning me off reading your posts to see such silly immature tit for tat bitching going on. Keep it on the topic guys.

Congratulations to all that have bred their fish, can I just make the following points with no disrespect to anyone involved so I don’t want to get blasted.

Firstly breeding fish means in point the fish spawning and growing the fry to a reasonable size (by club standards 2 months) This is because a lot of fish will lay eggs, but the real challenge hatching the eggs and rearing the fry which can be extremely difficult.

Secondly with regards to the BGK. I don’t own these fish and I have no real interest in keeping them but I have to ask if you bred them by accident and realised that they had breed by find two different batch of fry when cleaning the tank, what "secrets" can you actually share. The general water conditions!
What about definite sexing, you know you have a pair. Did you see which laid the eggs or released the fry? From your post I can tell you have owned her for some time so it is not a case of having a gravid female before she goes into the tank.
What was the actual spawning behavior?
What was the specific spawning trigger?

Please do not take this as an attack on you at all. I am glad the fish bred for you and I am happy for you made some money out of it. These are just the questions that I would want to know.

I also agree with Alex with regards to the sharing of information. If I have information which will help other aquarists keep or breed their fish I am happy to share. That is the point behind clubs like ours and this website.

Keep up the breeding guys and I wish you the best with it.

Again just my opinion smile.gif

Tony

Well said Mate biggrin.gif

(skittles)
so i need to correct my post scrub out monos lol just read your post benkie
Im going to try and breed a rare fish so i can be 1 of the first it will be a great memory

Get started on those Clown Loaches!!!!!, not rare, but they will fill your wallet if you breed them! lol

#23 jebediah_fan

jebediah_fan
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:29 PM

bit confused here ... so Craig, you said that your silver dollars & sharks bred in your fish tank - does that mean you got fry or did they lay eggs only (spawned)???

i too noticed my two silver dollars doing the same behaviour (spawning) in my six foot tank, but the loaches got hold of the eggs basically straight away - sometimes while they were spawning!

Megan

#24 Dramat1c

Dramat1c
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:41 PM

loL nice one pleco4me !

#25 lagoon_mike

lagoon_mike
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:44 PM

Hello Megan,
i have a pair of Silver Dollars which spawned for me just after Xmas, so i moved them into a separate 4 foot tank by themself and nothing happened.
About 5 weeks ago i moved them back in the community tank with various cichlids and last week they spawned again. when they spawn it creates a lot of action because all other fish want some of the caviar. laugh.gif

After spawning the have nearly no fins left and look pretty beaten up otherwise all is fine.

mike

#26 Guest_pleco4me_*

Guest_pleco4me_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:46 PM

(lagoon_mike)
Hello Megan,
i have a pair of Silver Dollars which spawned for me just after Xmas, so i moved them into a separate 4 foot tank by themself and nothing happened.
About 5 weeks ago i moved them back in the community tank with various cichlids and last week they spawned again. when they spawn it creates a lot of action because all other fish want some of the caviar. laugh.gif

After spawning the have nearly no fins left and look pretty beaten up otherwise all is fine.

mike

Hi Mike,

This is the exact thing i didn with mine, and the exact same outcome lol!
Nice work biggrin.gif

#27 monobono

monobono
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:54 PM

Funny enough, I did a similar thing when my pair of Silver Dollars spawned, instead of taking the pair out, I took everything else out of the tank and left them in there by themselves. Nothing happened sad.gif for a good while. So then I put the angelfish and gourami's back in the tank. The next night, the silver dollars had gotten back to business and started spawning again!

It seems the Silver dollars are show offs, only like to breed if other fish are watching! laugh.gif

#28 Dramat1c

Dramat1c
  • Forum Member

Posted 05 May 2007 - 06:59 PM

Hey pleco4me,

I fed them mainly high protein pellets twice a day, which i got from pet city joondalup.

Do you use white crane? loL i bought some white crane and I wonder if it is what you used. I was gonna feed my red empress but I heard it may be bad for breeding colony sad.gif

Cheers

Richard

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users