• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 aajvcad

aajvcad
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:25 AM

Hi Guys,

pic of my community tank attached.

I currently have 15 cardinal tetras... and will add more soon.

My question is about the setup... Do I need plants for the community tank?

I quite like the look I got at the moment. Limestone rock with hiding places, driftwood and few smaller rocks.

Any thoughts?

Thank you

Attached Files

#2 gezza

gezza
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:13 AM

I will go with some plants for the cardinal tetras also having limestone will raise the ph cause cardinals love acidic water

#3 malawiman85

malawiman85
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2014 - 11:40 AM

If you get some low maintenance plants it will really look great. Plants help keep water clean for the fish. I have a 160ltr corner tank with some tetras, guppies, bristlenose, etc. They love the plants and they are growing great in a substraight of potting mix under some black gravel. The only ferts I use is a little bit of seasol once a week. Cheap and seems to work because im always cutting my plants back and they look pretty good. Seasol doesnt discolour the water in small doses either.

#4 Michael the fish fanatic

Michael the fish fanatic

Photo Master 2017

• Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:11 PM

Pull out the limestone in my opinion due to it raises the ph, and there is no limestone in their natural habitat

#5 aajvcad

aajvcad
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2014 - 01:18 PM

In this tank the limestone is fake. Only there for hiding spots. The other tank has real limestone. This tank has pH at 7.0 doing well.

#6 sydad

sydad
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2014 - 03:57 PM

I will go with some plants for the cardinal tetras also having limestone will raise the ph cause cardinals love acidic water

Raising pH means making the water more alkaline, which is what limestone will tend to do, and is the opposite of what is required for cardinal tetras.

Syd.

#7 Mononoke

Mononoke
  • Forum Member

Posted 19 April 2014 - 10:14 PM

+1 for plants. Once you have them you won't regret it. Its so much fun having an evolving living aspect to your aquascape. Also, I find the different hues of green set off the colour of cardinal tetras beautifully.

#8 kane29

kane29

Plant King

• Forum Member

Posted 22 April 2014 - 07:51 PM

If you need some plants, I have a huge range and am located in Duncraig. Would be much cheaper than Aquarium stores and you won't have to deal with plants changing from there emersed to submerged form (most plants from aquarium stores are supplied in their emersed form).

Just send me a pm if you are interested.

Edited by kane29, 22 April 2014 - 07:53 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users