Photo

Priming Aquanova Ncf-1200

• Please log in to reply
26 replies to this topic

#1 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:37 PM

Bought a Aqua Nova NCF-1200 external canister filter today from Aquotix. Connect up all the tubes... IN to the inlet suction from tank and OUT to the outlet back into the tank, but cannot seem to prime the filter... Keep pushing the primer down and up but it does not seem like water is being sucked into the filter... the IN tube water level rises up and down as the primer is being pushed, but it does not seem to suck the water in...

Any ideas?? Would call Aquotix to find out what's wrong but I don't believe they are open tomorrow being a Monday and Public Holiday...

#2 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:39 PM

Do it the traditional way... Use your mouth to suck air out of the "return" end of the hose... where you connect the spray bar. biggrin.gif

#3 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 February 2010 - 07:40 PM

Apologies if you have done this already: you need to push the primer down repeatedly until the water starts flowing.
If that doesn't work, just suck on the outlet hose until the water flows smile.gif

Edit: ninja'd by Kev ph34r.gif

#4 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:11 PM

Arrghh... I started the suction and the water flooded the canister filter, into my fish tank cabinet, and onto my carpet...

What's wrong?? I connected the IN to the inlet pipe and the OUT to the outlet pipe as per the instructions...

Although I did read somewhere earlier than pre-filling the filter with some water would help the priming... So I did... but that should not have caused the overflooding right??

Problems with the unit??

#5 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:25 PM

Obviously something isn't sealed properly. Can you take some pics maybe? Where did the water come out that caused the flooding?

#6 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:38 PM

There's a "lock/vent" on top of the canister. Make sure you've pushed it down... smile.gif

#7 Aquotix Aquariums

Aquotix Aquariums
  • Sponsor

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:39 PM

Hello Ivan,
We can still offer help after hours from time to time.... you are welcome to PM us at any time, and one of our staff will answer you as soon as one of us logs on. It is in our private time, but we are here to help - particularly when you are having problems with one of our products.

As Cawdor explained, would it be possible to let us know where the water was coming out? and is it squirting or just dribbling?

All units have been checked on arrival in the shop and all seals have been lubed prior to selling, so I am very interested what has gone wrong here. (maybe check for any broken parts on the locking clips??)

#8 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:51 PM

Thanks guys for the response... At least I get the feeling that I am not left out to dry...

I have got some photos.. Hope I can attach it...

Anyways, it appears that the whole pump head is filled with water... and water is coming out from the electrical lead...
not going to plug it in a hurry now...

but I believe that it was also coming out through the primer sides as well... not too keen to replicating it to take a photo...
maybe tomorrow...

And yes, I did push down inlet and outlet valve lever (if that is what you are referring to by lock/vent...) and also the four locking
levers by the sides..

Attached Files

#9 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 09:59 PM

Well just an update, I was emptying the pump head of water and was tilting it from side to side and discover that something seems to be rattling from side to side as well... something inside seems loose... is this normal???

#10 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:01 PM

No, that doesn't sound normal mate.. I bought the same model not so long ago (so did my uncle.. lol). Our ones are working great!! Extremely good flow/filtering for the price!! biggrin.gif

#11 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:04 PM

it looks like the water is leaking into the head for sure - so that can only mean two things...
.....The priming/plunger Oring (sometimes gets pinched due to getting dry during travel - we lube these up on arrival, but the odd one has come back with a slow leak due to this seal - we replace the head unit with one we have changed the seal on with a new Oring)
.....The other is the Orings on the taps - could you get a pic of the tap setup - particularly near the Orings?

Oliver - Aquotix

btw - the internals are fully sealed in Epoxy, so NO worries of electrocution with these filters wink.gif

#12 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:10 PM

Even with water in the head, the motor and electrical cable are a sealed unit and there should be little danger. That being said, it's always better to be safe!
It must be a substantial leak if the unit is not even priming (instead sucking air).

Edit: ninja'd by Oliver, that's the second time tonight ph34r.gif

#13 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

Tim, it actually took you 6 MINUTES to write all that, hence got ninja'd by Ollie? LOL! tongue.gif

#14 dazzabozza

dazzabozza

Life Member

• Admin

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:15 PM

QUOTE (Ivan Sng @ Feb 28 2010, 09:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Thanks guys for the response... At least I get the feeling that I am not left out to dry...

Dry is the last thing you are at the moment! Sorry but I couldn't resist Rofl_3f.gif

#15 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:17 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Feb 28 2010, 10:01 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
No, that doesn't sound normal mate.. I bought the same model not so long ago (so did my uncle.. lol). Our ones are working great!! Extremely good flow/filtering for the price!! biggrin.gif

Well that's what I thought... it does sound like something has come loose... and probably the reason why the primer does not seem to be doing anything for me... I think I used up less energy sucking on the hose than pushing down on the primer...

#16 Cawdor

Cawdor
  • Admin

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Feb 28 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tim, it actually took you 6 MINUTES to write all that, hence got ninja'd by Ollie? LOL! tongue.gif

Actually I only took a couple of minutes, but Oliver had edited his post by the time I posted my reply smile.gif

#17 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Feb 28 2010, 10:04 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
it looks like the water is leaking into the head for sure - so that can only mean two things...
.....The priming/plunger Oring (sometimes gets pinched due to getting dry during travel - we lube these up on arrival, but the odd one has come back with a slow leak due to this seal - we replace the head unit with one we have changed the seal on with a new Oring)
.....The other is the Orings on the taps - could you get a pic of the tap setup - particularly near the Orings?

Oliver - Aquotix

btw - the internals are fully sealed in Epoxy, so NO worries of electrocution with these filters wink.gif

Well I think the Oring on the taps are fine, although there were some problems getting the tap assembly away from the unit at shop, but they were lubed up...
See photo...

QUOTE (golden_dase @ Feb 28 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What's this ninja'd thing??

Attached Files

#18 Ivan Sng

Ivan Sng
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:27 PM

QUOTE (dazzabozza @ Feb 28 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Dry is the last thing you are at the moment! Sorry but I couldn't resist Rofl_3f.gif

That's alright... I am happy to share my Holy Shit Moments as long as I get replies... my carpet is still dying... tempted to fire up the gas heater (in summer) to dry the carpet...

#19 Mr_docfish

Mr_docfish
  • PCS Club Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:35 PM

OK Ivan, the Orings on these taps are looking good and are in the right place... so it has to be the primer Oring.... angry.gif

It is nothing that you can do from home - can you come in on Tuesday and see me??? I will get another one and pressure test it first for you so this will not happen again - and I will sort something out with you for your hassles..... wink.gif

We will be open from 10am to 6pm

Ask for Oliver - let the staff know it's you from PCS, and I will handle it personally.

Sorry for the inconvenience and mess - it only happens to the nicest of people (except Golden_dase - it did not happen to him and he is a nice guy tongue.gif )

Cheers,
Oliver - Aquotix

#20 golden_dase

golden_dase
  • Forum Member

Posted 28 February 2010 - 10:48 PM

QUOTE (Mr_docfish @ Feb 28 2010, 10:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I will get another one and pressure test it first for you so this will not happen again - and I will sort something out with you for your hassles..... wink.gif

Oliver, are you giving him a free upgrade to the NCF2000? If so, my NCF1200 just had a leak too! Rofl_3f.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users