Sterilising A Canister Filter?

canister filter

• This topic is locked This topic is locked
49 replies to this topic

#41 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:42 AM

:brickwall: Then you should know by filling a  tank up with 100% tap water  it's going to knock your beneficial bacteria for a six. I recommend no more than 50% with aged water or 25% straight from the tap, both with conditioner of course. You should have drained some water from your other tank and used at least half and half. Then lightly stocked it with some cheap fish for starters. The silicone i am not convinced about because if the guy is experienced as you say he is then he should know better than to use something that was toxic.

#42 sandgroper

sandgroper
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 01:49 AM

Johnno i would of taken them if you didn't want them. Seems pointless to kill them just because you have to many.

p.s I did the sums that $23,800 at $700ea. :o

I bet the young fella feels better now. :agreed:

Edited by sandgroper, 29 January 2016 - 02:20 AM.

#43 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:30 AM

Look I understand completely all these facts statistics, my water was (near) perfect a little nitrites that's it...

I personally believe it was the silicone, this person before me hadn't used the silicone but the guy before him...

Thanks for at least giving advice and putting up with me...

I'm taking a 6 month break!

#44 Leichardti

Leichardti
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 08:41 AM

If there was nitrite there had to be ammonia. 

Just realised there was no point in this reply

Edited by Leichardti, 29 January 2016 - 08:42 AM.

#45 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 09:01 AM

A little bit of nitrite hahahaha. Even more truth comes out about your so called perfect water. Only takes a "little bit" of nitrite to send fish belly up. If your tank was properly cycled there would be zero nitrite. Good luck on your hiatus lol don't come back now.

#46 BengaBoy

BengaBoy
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 10:41 AM

trainee ninja must learn respect.

trainee ninja must learn to follow master's guidance

even if trainee ninja doesn't understand why.

then all will become clear.

#47 Buccal

Buccal
  • Forum Member

Posted 29 January 2016 - 06:42 PM

This last page really took it somewhere hey.
A tiny bit of ammonia a tiny bit of nitrite,,,,either other doesn't matter, it unfolds a huge story prooved.
But anyway, it's useless testing now, as Johnno stated, the perameters change up and down to different toxicity levels during the holocost.
Malawiman thanks by the way for the kind words on the other page,,, I do spend my time trying to be accurate and breaking it lightly at the same time, it takes some deep thinking for words.

Now, if you come back to look at this lex, stay calm and understand this, as this way or channel of thinking will take you far in life instead of force stereotyping yourself into only getting along with certain types of people,,, as this limits your total life for opportunity, wealth, friends and most important happiness.
SEE THE SITUATION AS IT IS, don't treat us as if your upset and angry with your dad in other cases. Kind of saying grow up, but I won't say that because I think your leagues ahead of other 14 year olds.

Now, remember concentrate and get this, for yourself.

Google says wrong silicone kills fish,,, completely garbage even though so many people saying it, it's the novices that don't know how to keep fish that messes around with the wrong stuff anyway,,, or theirs people pushing products or info they heard elsewhere with no experience.
I've used mould resistant shower silicone, gutter silicone, universal silicones,,, crap that makes your eyes stream tears and throat gag like no tommorow,,, al these were totally not potable,,,,, yet used in certain contraptions, never saw a fish die.

Now to be realistic in this circumstance, we/all of us are not at your house looking at your tank and possible errors.
We all see your text and persieve (make heads and tails) of your description,,, then from our knowledge and taking into consideration your description we make educated guesses or assumptions, regardless of how much we emphasize or resume bold.
Some off us here see it clear as daylight with key words you use, and if you make any type of mistake in description, it has direct impact on the diagnosis or reasoning.
NO MATTER CORRECT OR WRONG WE ARE, ITS YOUR PROJECT IN FRONT OF YOU TO DETERMINE YOURSELF WITH THE ADDED INFO AND DIRECTION WE GIVE AS ADDED BONUSES TO HELP GET YOU THROUGH IT.
You can't blame us mate if you get a final decision wrong or go of on a tangent with a obscure belief,, as its un-to warding and non-appreciative.
So the final diagnosis is always your decision, because at best, your the one there, not us dude.

Now,,, why not fail safe yourself and make most of what you think you know in this situation and put it to the test.
If it were me and I did believe it was the silicone causing the issues,, I would have left that tank exactly how it was, and gone out and got 3 x sacrificial cheap fish and whacked them in to second the assumption to a more clear defining.

A young person always reacts instant with fustration and revolves around the issue getting upset.
A older person stops, lets the fustration subside then allows a common thought process take place and comes up with solutions.
I've heard people say this is the difference between men and women,,, but hey, lol, lets not go there.

Read this post over and over again Lex, and see if you can gain some tuition from this mate,,,

#48 LexAgate

LexAgate
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2016 - 01:23 PM

I've heard people say this is the difference between men and women,,, but hey, lol, lets not go there.

Wait, I'm a dude... Just getting that straight... I know it is a girly name if you add a Y to the end...

Buccal, I was taking a break had a read of that last paragraph and understand completely.

I did infact do a 50% water change a little sera flora to keep the tank cycling and I put some of my Ngara in there. The ph was lowered from the change to 7.9 (ish).

Almost a week later they started getting the same characteristics, not eating laying on the bottom and floating with the flow of the tank then all in the matter of a day, gone...

As of now I have pulled the tank apart bleached, washed, dried and washed it again... Washed everything else possible... I'm getting rid of the substrate! Everything has soaked in 10% bleach 90% water solution and is now being soaked in plain water and washed!

To all the guys and gals that put up with me, well done I can be terrible at times!

Well I probably have shitty relationships with just about everyone but there is only one way to build them!

#49 benno87

benno87
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2016 - 02:53 PM

That was a fast 6 months lol

#50 dicky7

dicky7
  • Forum Member

Posted 30 January 2016 - 03:07 PM

OK guys I think this thread has a run a pretty good course   .... im SURE  that Lex has learnt that the ppl here will never intentionaly put him wrong  and I think he is sorry for his outburst

So in saying that I will close it if ya want to say more start another fresh one  or take it to PM's

Cheers all who have contributed here and helped him

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: canister, filter

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users